Register now to get rid of these ads!

Check out my 90.00 car!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chopzuk, Jan 13, 2006.

1. chopzuk

chopzuk
    from central AR

I finally got some bad shots of the car while it's on the rack in my shop.

Brief history...went to look at a 47 Chebby Fleetline, this was next to it. Guy wanted gold bars for both of them:cool: , but I scored a 75 Caddy Coupe DeVille for weight and a few parts ($50.00). Went to get some cash out of the ATM, came back, and he's pointing at the Olds saying he needs it moved to get to the 75 moredoor Pontiac in front of it. Asked me what I'd give, and I told him a 100.00. He didn't want to do it, so I was backing the trailer up going to get the Caddy across the yard from it. He stops and says OK, he'd take a 100.00. I said he'd have to take the fifty cash, and a check for the other fifty, 'cause I'd had to pay 3.00 fee to use the ATM in that country bottom store and my gas back to town was costing me:eek: . He said, take a ten out of the fifty, he'd pay the ATM fees and some gas, if I wanted the Olds. SWEET:D . So that's how I got Resi, as in "resurected". He said the motor was locked up, and for sure it wouldn't turn with the fan, but later figured out it was a starter problem. Clean the plugs, file the points, pour some fuel and two hours after I own him, he's firing to life!! Lots of clean and fix later, and I get to drive him around some, as I'm working out the kinks. That's the story, so what you think?

Have to post pics from home tonight firewall keeping me out. later

Attached Files:

2. buschandbusch

buschandbusch
    from Reno, NV

very cool! love hearing stories like that so I can live vicariously :rolleyes:

3. I think pics would be great. What year and model is the Olds? Does the Caddy run? Is the Caddy a drivetrain donor?

4. Squablow

Squablow

Squablow no see pictures?

5. chopzuk

chopzuk
    from central AR

Sorry, it took a while to get the pics. It is a 54 Super 88 4 dr Sedan (2 dr someday). Power steering, brakes, and auto trans. The last year his mother drove it was '65, according to the owner. I finished rebuilding the carb yesterday. I had to hand cut 2 of the friggin gaskets, cause it didn't have a tag on the carb, and 2 kits later at 20.00 each, I was gettin' pissed because neither had the right gaskets. He ran pretty good before, but he dang near purrs now.
    New aqua pusher, electric fuel pump, tank clean, disassemble and rebuilt sender with a 72 Chebby truck brass float and some fancy soldering on the indicator slide wire.
    Rebuilt wheel cylinders, disassembled the Treadle Vac and cleaned everything up, but didn't put a kit in it. Some new hoses, 1 new line ('cause gorilla here didn't check to make sure the fitting was turning, and not the line) new fluid, a whoo hoo we had brakes.
    Tranny had to be "nuetral dropped" to get the parking mechanism to release, but once it did, the tranny seems to be working pretty good. Haven't found a local supplier for the pan gaskets/filter, so I guess I'll have to wait to get some "snail mail" before I can change the fluid and service the trans--anybody know a part number for Auto Zone, O'reilly, Advance or NAPA so they can get my parts to service my Hydramatic trans.
    Blower motor disassembled and repaired, works great now, but I put a friggin red wire out of it, so it's too obvious I worked on it, should have used black--but it aint a resto.
    It's been fun, and I've used it to teach my students the important lesson; A lot of times, you don't HAVE to "buy a new one" if you carefully disassemble and clean everything.

Sorry for the rant, but man I'm hyped, cause I'm gonna be driving this thing on the road SOON. Like today:D

6. chopzuk

chopzuk
    from central AR

Only thing wrong that I can see so far is the caddy needed an Ignition module for the HEI! It's already been claimed for the drivetrain though, 'cause I got it for my other auto shop instructor to use as a demonstrator mock up for his class, then I'll get it next:D Its a 500 according to the emissions tag:eek: , so there's potential for serious fun. Later

7. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

8. Capt. Cal

Capt. Cal
    from Newton NJ

thats pretty sweet. i like how it still has the old license plate still on it. good find.

9. Oldsmobucket

Oldsmobucket

thats a nice score. i have one just like it unfortunately i paid a little mors for it.

10. Gator

Gator

Nice! Cool story too - that's why I try and carry a little extra cash (when I got it) whenever I go to check out some parts, never know what will turn up.That will be a cool car Chopzuk, and the story will always make it even better.

11. talisman

talisman
    from Texas

Lucky bastard!

12. Kev Nemo

Kev Nemo

So let me get this right-$90 car AND you're a teacher so got 'free' labor? Kharma's a damn good thing man!:D

13. Kev Nemo

Kev Nemo

So let me get this right-$90 car AND you're a teacher so you have 'free' labor? Kharma's a damn good thing man!:D

14. Joe T Creep

Joe T Creep
    Member Emeritus

Just damn.

Nice score...

15. krashman

krashman

You got ripped :rolleyes:

16. Rckt98

Rckt98

Welcome to the wonderful world of Oldsmobiles. Try Fatsco for your trans parts.

17. oso64

oso64

WOW!!!!! i love the front hood emblems on those! -jimmy-

18. skyrodder

skyrodder

19. famous59

famous59
    from dallas, tx

damn god deal ! What is cool about this car I think is the steering wheel. The center emblem under clear plastic. the steering wheel has great value alone. I sold 2 of them for a nice fee on egay. Great deal you got there.

20. chopzuk

chopzuk
    from central AR

'Preciate the feedback. Took a couple of 5 mile round trips (we have a "test drive" route we use that includes a long hill, curve, whoop-de doos, etc). The car ran great, rode good--man what a blast! :D

Do I need to start another post, or can I just ask more questions??
    I need a complete vacuum diagram for the car-particularly the routing of the lines to run the wiper system. How do you operate the wiper switch?? Turn it?Pull it? The wipers are the last system I need to get going, and I just got the arms from an Egay purchase, etc ...Thanks in advance for the help.

21. chopzuk

chopzuk
    from central AR

Hey, you been talkin' to my wife?:cool:

22. chopzuk

chopzuk
    from central AR

Thanks for the lead...internet search comin' up.

23. 50flathead

50flathead
    from Iowa, USA

Real nice score. The low buck ones are always more comfortable to drive!

24. This was quite the swindle. "Arkansas. Land of Opportunity.":D

25. Do I need to start another post, or can I just ask more questions??
    I need a complete vacuum diagram for the car-particularly the routing of the lines to run the wiper system. How do you operate the wiper switch?? Turn it?Pull it? The wipers are the last system I need to get going, and I just got the arms from an Egay purchase, etc ...Thanks in advance for the help.[/QUOTE]

Turn the wiper knob clockwise, counterclockwise to return to off position. The button is for the washer, if so equipted.

If you get stuck on the Tredlevac brakes ask Vince at C.H.Topping any questions you may have. www.chtopping.com, I think.

Welcome to the Rocketeers. Lots of great info here.

chili

26. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

nice find.. but check out what i got for 89 bucks last tuesday...one of the tires had a slow leak so i made the guy buy it back:D :D :D man that shit always happens to me:mad: anywho thats a great deal...

27. JamesG

JamesG

Where in Arkansas?

28. yeah, no kiddin, where in arkansas indeed? I used to run across things like that all the time when I lived here before...moved to TN for a year, come back, and stuff's all gone!?!?

Man, I'd be happy to find ONE rusty old hood that fit my '49 chevy truck...maybe I need to get out and prowl more. Yes..that's what I'll do

Later y'all...

Mark

29. chopzuk

chopzuk
    from central AR

I live in the central Little Rock metropolitan area (Air base area). There are several good places to find good tin if you have cash to burn --D&D Auto Sales in Jacksonville--I grew up calling it Daniels Salvage, and I think his son or relative took it over. He's a wicked ,cussed mean joker on a BAD day, but VERY reasonable on his rare good days. I've bought some stuff, and he's tried to JAB me on more stuff:mad: . If you know the "Palmer man", he's got a few acres of good tin $600-1000 range.

I'm on to another score, but I gotta get some pics so you guys can help me identify if it's a 98 or 88, 1956 model Holiday 4dr hardtop!

30. chopzuk

chopzuk
    from central AR

Sweet ride. someday mine will represent like yours.