Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical PowerGen conversion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JJAGS3, Apr 18, 2014.

1. JJAGS3

JJAGS3

A couple of questions, please.
    If I replace my generator with a PowerGen Alternator, what do I do with the existing regulator and Wiring?

Also, what do I do with the 2 remaining wires that are attached to the old generator?

Thanks!!!

2. 24riverview

24riverview

Attach Powergen wire to wire previously attached to BAT terminal on regulator, get rid of regulator and 2 extra wires. Make sure Powergen is properly grounded.

3. Fogger

Fogger

I CAN'T EMPHASIZE THE IMPORTANCE OF PROPER GROUNDING!!!!!!!. The only installations of the Powergen alternators where the units have failed have been the lack of proper grounding. You may hear that the units are problematic but 99% of the time it's not following the instructions for the install. I've had one on my '32 Roadster since '06, 8 years and never an issue.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  4. JJAGS3

JJAGS3

Do I need to make any changes so that my amp gauge will still work?

5. 24riverview

24riverview

No, if it should happen to read backwards, disconnect battery, unhook the wire that runs through the loop on the back of the ammeter, pull out then run back through the loop from the opposite direction, reattach wire, reconnect battery. This is assuming you're working on the Mercury in your avatar.

6. nosdan

nosdan

What is the proper way to ground the PowerGen? Housing nut to chassis?

7. txturbo

txturbo

If it's the powder coated model, The instructions say to attach a ground wire from one of the housing bolts at the rear end plate to ground. The powder coated ones won't ground through the powder coating to the block like the other models will. Powdercoating is non conductive.

8. prpmmp

prpmmp

To the negative side of the battery(directly) 10 gauge wire ? Pete

9. nosdan

nosdan

Here's my experience from last evening, my 8BA was running fine. I then install the powergen and added the ground from housing bolt to an intake bolt for ease of wiring. It ran for all of a 30-45 seconds and then shut off... tested for spark, no spark. So I opened the dizzy and the points were fried. Would this grounding location have caused the points to fry? Points, condenser, rotor all new in the dizzy. (note: all components upgraded to 12V).

My question is: with this PowerGen, should the grounding be on the chassis for some reason? and the power wire needs to go straight to the battery terminal only? Thanks!

10. craftscustoms

craftscustoms

The powergen probably puts out more amps than your existing generator, if you use your existing bat wire make sure it is of a heavy enough gauge. I ran a new 8 gauge wire on a 57 vette I did. I used the powergen with the warning light and changed the ammeter over to a warning light.

11. nosdan

nosdan

All new wiring for the car. Running 10ga power wire from Alt to B+ on starting solenoid... but from some other posts, i'm going to re-wire straight to the battery + lug

12. Muttley

Muttley

Give it a shot, you just might surprise yourself.