Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 327 woes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jahlg, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Jahlg

Jahlg
    from Michigan

I went for a drive tonight, engine was running fine. As soon as I turned onto woodward sve, which is about five or so miles, the car began to run rough. It wants to stall as soon as its in gear, the motor is shaking, not terribly, but it's completely stock, so it's noticeable. The best I can describe it, it sounds like its misfiring, the exhaust note has changed, it sounds almost Harley like. I am going to try a tune up on it tomorrow after work, only a few days til dream cruise I'm looking for help. Please

2. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

The smartass side of me wanted to first say...Don't turn on Woodward Ave.:rolleyes:

We seem to be getting a lot of these posts lately...you gotta give more info.
    What carb/intake?...ignition system...points or electronic?...did you check your fuel filter to see if it's clogged?
    Do you have a spark plug wire laying on an exhaust manifold?

kidcampbell71 and clem like this.
  3. My 283 did that last thursday..broke a valve spring. Kinda noisy though. I'm hoping you have the plug wire issue as mentioned above.

4. Sir Woodward was married to a witch & he was unfaithful. she cursed the day he was born. Yes, March 27th. So....

5. Jahlg

Jahlg
    from Michigan

Stock intake. Quad jet carb. Points. I took a peak at the wires, it didn't look like any were touching, but motor was warm from running. Didn't feel like getting burned. It has had issues with stalling when I first leave from a light. Going to check fuel filter tomorrow after work. May just pick up a new one. Going to get new plugs and points as well

6. Jahlg

Jahlg
    from Michigan

I'm beginning to believe its cursed. My roadrunner didn't like it there as well. Would run great til I got there. Then bam. Run like pooh.

7. Jahlg

Jahlg
    from Michigan

Oh and it's a 1964 impala 327/powerglide auto, two door. Stock motor, stock trans.

8. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

Are you sure about the quality of your fuel. Did you just gas up? I've been fooled by bad gas before. Sam

9. squirrel

squirrel

Start there, if you can't figure out what's wrong, then ask for help. We can't help you until you've at least looked at it...pulled the plugs, inspected wires and cap and rotor, checked the dwell, maybe replace the condensor, etc.

oldsman71 likes this.
  10. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

When was the last time that it was tuned up? back then 10K was the normal interval. I'd start there.

11. Take a good look at the points.

12. slowmotion

slowmotion

Fuel, spark, & compression. Do the pre-requisite tune-up & report back as Squirrel mentioned. I'm betting you'll fine something amiss in the tune-up process. I've had a few occurrences with cracked porcelain on these damn cheap plugs now-a-days. Check 'em when you pull 'em.

M224SPEED likes this.
  13. Start it up at night with the hood open and no background lights to see if something is arcing. Look at the coil wire where it goes into the cap, pop off the cap and look for arcing/cracks. Looking at the plugs and points is a good plan.

The carb may have sucked up a piece of crud too and Q-Jets don't like that. You should have one of those stone or paper filter elements behind the inlet nut (at the fuel line). I always run a big Holley canister fuel filter before the fuel pump.

M224SPEED likes this.
  14. 52Poncho

52Poncho

Possible heavy float.
    Replace float.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

15. squirrel

squirrel

Possibly a lot of things. I like to figure out which thing it is before I just replace all the parts that could possibly cause a problem.

16. 52Poncho

52Poncho

For the price of a float easier to replace instead of trying to diagnose. You said ran rough on turning and you had problems leaving lights. Fuel logged float will do this.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

17. i had one once, did similar situation. Car was running fine then developed a misifre type running condition. Got worse as i tried to figure it out, then it started backfiring through the carb. My problem was the rockers were not adjusted correctly and the valve adjustment was backing off until some of the valves didnt even open anymore, hence the backfire through carb.
    May not be you situation, but just my .02c
    was the engine recently worked on?
    what was the last thing you did or car did before it acted up?

18. Check to see if your distributor hold down allowed the distributor to slip. When I bought my '56 Chev w/ a 350sbc in it, there was a cheap chinese chrome distributor hold down that wouldn't keep the distributor in place. I got a regular ol' steel GM issued distributor clamp and the distributor no longer slipped - problem solved. I make mention of all that cuz when the motor would slip timing at the distributor it ran like the engine was going to fail at any moment.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
    Model T1 likes this.
  19. Jahlg

Jahlg
    from Michigan

Ok. So I replaced plugs wires rotor cap coil I have to get different points from the store as well as filter. It's worse, won't stay running now. It didn't happen when I turned into Woodward. It happened after I was on the street. Nothing was worked on recently. Been a slacker mechanically.

20. slowmotion

slowmotion

Double check that the plug wiring is correct. It's easy to get one (or 2) crossed.

21. Jahlg

Jahlg
    from Michigan

I did check them. Replaced them one at a time from old cap to new one and then double checked with a diagram.

22. How do they get crossed while driving ?

23. Jahlg

Jahlg
    from Michigan

Hahahahaha. That would be my luck.

24. caton462

caton462

Did you recently fuel the thing? Take a fuel sample, see how it burns. Is there a chance you accidentally put E 85 in (would cause a gradually increasing lean condition the longer it runs.

25. Jahlg

Jahlg
    from Michigan

I did fill up prior to heading out. The station is the same I go to all the time. And they don't sell e85

26. 54fierro

54fierro
    from san diego

Get those point and a new condenser in first. Also check the distributer to make sure it didn't loosen up like was mentioned.
    Does it smell rich? Like maybe the fuel ain't burning?

Also try spraying a little water on the exhaust near the head, a misfiring cylinder will be colder than the rest.

More questions than answers. Sorry :)

27. JC Sparks

JC Sparks
    from Ohio

Did each plug look about the same from cylinder to cylinder? Plugs tell the tale of many problems. JC

28. Jahlg

Jahlg
    from Michigan

A couple plugs looked wet. But the others looked fine. The distributor was down tight. I had bought the points with condenser attached. I have the ones that are separate. I had to put the old one back. I'm hoping that's the issue. It's very frustrating. Motors intimidate the hell out of me. Im learning but can't afford to just keep buying shit! Thanks for the help so far. Will post after I replace points and filter. I can't tell if it's running rich, it won't stay running long enough. But it doesnt smell like it, my roadrunner would burn your eyes it was running so rich.

29. Go back to that station and ask them if they've had any other driveability complaints from other customers. Might be a batch of skunky gas or some sediment from the bottom of their tank. They might even be willing to compensate you for some of your troubles.

BORRACHO13 likes this.
  30. If you filled up before the test drive, then i would kinda lean towards it being related. Not saying it is but usually the last new component introduced to the system (i.e. tank full of new fuel, that the engine was not running on before) is usually the cause of the different outcome (i.e. engine starts missing randomly then quickly turns into a no start condition). I would double check the fuel condition and fuel delivery first.
    If thats all okay then your new properly gapped points may do the trick