Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Get one going and the other decides to be a pita 61 ford headlights flashing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by loveoftiki, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Soooo I get the F100 put back together and she's running awesome..had to remember how to stop with manual drum brakes and corner with out power steering...been about 18 months since I drove it. Sooo on to the next one.

I noticed last year at a 1:30 am that my headlights were flashing on and off ( real fun driving in Detroit and having people all pissed off cause they thought you were a cop! )
    So I made sure I had good grounds, took part my connections and cleaned them and put them back together. I did replace the generator and voltage regulator last year and it was polarized the Ford way. So I have 2 questions

I have a battery disconnect that I use when I keep the car in my shop. I shouldn't have to re polarize it because the negative cable is disconnected when parked?

Could the headlight switch be bad? It happens after driving the car for about 15 miles. I can't get it to do it in the shop...only when I'm out driving it at night ( coming back from Woodward this weekend ) maybe the switch heats up and than shorts out? I have never changed one of these before so what am I on for?

Thanks for the help

2. squirrel

squirrel

I don't know about Fords, but Chevy head light switches in the late 50s had a built in circuit breaker that would do that--flash the headlights if they are drawing too much current, or if the switch is bad

3. onetrickpony

onetrickpony
    from Texas

The headlight switch has an internal circuit breaker. The lights will flash when it gets weak or is overloaded due to someone wiring extra lights through it without using a relay. If you don't have any extra lights, replacing the switch should fix you up.

loudbang likes this.
  4. Cool no extra nothing on this one. Just honestly don't drive to much in the dark as odd as it sounds... But when I do and for long enough I turn into flashy.... It is kind of cool having pekoe move out of your way though... I smile and wave as I drive by

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Replace the headlight switch and add a 30 amp circuit breaker at the power in and you are cured! Super common with early sixties Ford stuff. If they have the circuit breaker, (and my Falcons all have) it goes bad after some time with Halogen headlights. If it doesn't have the circuit breaker, that means the switch is going south on you.

loudbang likes this.
  6. Ordered up from oreillys have it Wednesday...do I need a yoga license to get the old one out and the new one in? What about the polarizing the generator question? I had 3 people give me different answers

7. Ice man

Ice man

Once its polarized its done. You only need to do it again when you change a component.

8. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

If it's similar to an early '60s Ford car headlight switch, I think there's a little release tab you have to push (behind the dash) to release the switch handle. I think you then unthread the bezel... but I may be forgetting a step. Been a while since I've replaced one!

loudbang likes this.
  9. craftscustoms

craftscustoms

Also could be the dimmer switch or the connections to it

10. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Very true John! But most of the time I have found the headlight switch itself at fault in this deal. And yes. I'm almost 100% sure you pull the headlight switch out, press the little button underneath, then unscrew the bezel to get the whole mess out.

11. Alright so I got the part today got the old part hanging there....does the new one just " plug in" to the fused and wired portion of the top section? Looks like you " unclamp it" and push the new one in? Am I missing anything?

12. squirrel

squirrel

I haven't seen those particular terms used to describe how you unplug a light switch from the connector. Maybe could you take a picture of the new and old ones? Normally, there's one plastic housing at the ends of the wires, and it unplugs from the plastic housing that is part of the light switch.

13. Not on a 60's Ford

14. squirrel

squirrel

It's been a while since I saw one, pictures would make it more clear...

looks like this?

[​IMG]

15. Yep...I think I have figured out. The actual switch portion is " plugs into" that portion with the wiring and fuses. It separates and this clamps into and pugs into that and than you put it back together......and hopefully no more,flashing headlights

16. ok....the 60's Fords electrical gremlins continue... So I replaced the switch.. still didn't get to test out the lights...but I drove to Relix Saturday about 275 miles round trip, car ran great at 65 down the highway. Noticed when I got off the freeway my Gen light was starting to glow and went away at cruising speed, this has never happened before. Its a brand new generator and voltage regulator purchased from the O chain. After installation the car was putting out 14 volts with the gas going and around 12.8 at idle and the light never flickered. I did pull the negative cable to put in my new switch and haven't done a ton of highway miles on the car. Would pulling that cable and replacing that switch make me have to re polarize the generator and voltage regulator? I did pull the battery cable when it was running and it died. God I love this car but man the electrical stuff on it is driving me mad....and thanks for any help

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  17. mike 51

mike 51
    from norcal

had that problem with a 62 merc....the cops were not amused. gas station guy (remember them?) fixed it in about five minutes for free, but it was 45 years go and I can't remember what he did. Sorry.

I had no $$ and didn't get ticket either....good old days huh?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014