Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 40 ford rear drums

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by coonpiss, Aug 10, 2014.

1. coonpiss

coonpiss
    from NW Indiana

Quick question, I have a set of 40 rear drums and I need to replace several studs. Do the the studs push out one by one or can I push the whole hub away from the drum? Thanks

2. xix32

xix32

The studs are swaged in, the out side is swelled out up against the drums, holding the drums tight against the hub. and also holding the studs in place. you have to grind off the heads from the inside, then the studs can be pressed out toward the outside.

3. The studs are swaged in place. If you just press them out, the hub will usually damaged. Easiest way to fix at home, without the special tools, is to grind the head off the backside and drive the stud out from the inside. New stock style studs also require swaging to hold them in place; but they make serrated press in studs for use with the repo cast iron drums. Be aware the shank is a little longer on these so depending on your wheels, you may have to make slight mods.

4. trucker1

trucker1

Get a hold of Dick Spadaro, He has the perfect formula with part numbers to press in modern studs. Don't try to press them out without cutting the swedge or you will ruin them. The tool is about $100. Be careful and go slow so you won't break any teeth off. Glynn.

5. coonpiss

coonpiss
    from NW Indiana

Thanks gentlemen, appreciate the help!!

6. BillyG

BillyG

I've read here or Ford Barn that a 7/8" hole saw will cut the swedge so you can press the studs out.

7. Zurekbrau

Zurekbrau

If you don't care about the studs or drum you can do what I did to save money buying a tool to use once. I just cut off the studs flush with the brake drum then use a grinder to grind out the swedged part of the studs. Then pop them out of the hub.

8. seabeecmc

seabeecmc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG] 5/8" hole saw.Regards, Ron stud2.JPG