Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Carter's 29 Roadster Build Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Carter, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Carter

Carter

Cool, what a blast it was. Hope I have time to get back to work on my possible entry for this year.

Thanks a lot. I still have a ton of stuff I want to do, but there's not enough hours in the day.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Meeting the rolling bones saturday in erie. This little roaster was the hit of the crowd!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
    gwhite likes this.
  3. Carter

Carter

Haha, you're too kind. Had a blast, even getting caught in the torrential downpour on the way home. I told Steph on the way up, running old two-lane with another model A, it just doesn't get much better than that.

daddio211 and gwhite like this.
  4. One of my favorites (and that @Carter guy is a pretty swell fellow also)!

5. Carter

Carter

Thanks, Gary.

6. pumpman

pumpman

Just burned an hour and half reading this thread, time well spent! I really admire you attention to detail and the can do attitude. Love your little buggy "it has the look"!

7. Carter

Carter

Thanks, I just spent a bunch of time looking at the pictures of your roadster project! Wow, fantastic. I have a nice B chassis and a pile of parts just waiting for the right roadster body to come along...

8. pumpman

pumpman

Thank you Carter, I had hoped to have it done this summer but stuff happened, so as usual I'm behind on it. Hope to complete this winter and then start on a 32 coupster which is just a big pile of parts. Love seeing more little bangers finding their way back into hot rods. Before I ripped into the roadster I drove it stock a couple of years and could not believe how peppy it was.

9. Carter

Carter

There are always delays, such is life. I had hoped to get my single seater ready to be an entry for this years RoG, but it's not even close to ready.
    Next year, I suppose.

I have a small but important update on my roadster.

1407645547569.jpg

Finally got my Flyers Roadster Club plaque mounted on the car.

bonesy likes this.
  10. snot275

snot275

This thread just helped me out with some unanswered questions for my build. Such a joy to read! Cheers man!

11. bonesy

bonesy

12. pumpman

pumpman

13. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

That's a nice plaque, Glad I have one as well, read every post, very impressive. That was extremely educational as well as insightful. Zach said to have a look @ your single seater, was very surprised! thank you both.

14. Carter

Carter

Thanks, Kevin. I intended to send you pictures of the single seat car with the Cyclone parts and Zach's lettering, but I've been very busy with work and school, haven't had time to do much lately.
    The roadster is half torn apart for body work and paint, and the engine is half apart in the racer, probably won't make any more progress on either until next year.

gwhite likes this.
  15. Keep plugging away at it! What color you going with on the roadster?

16. Carter

Carter

That's a good question, Gary. I have changed my mind a dozen times at least!
    I had always pictured this car being black, even though it's far from straight enough to pull it off well. Lately I've been considering lighter colors, perhaps even white. Also high on the list are a few stock 29 Ford colors. So, what do you think? That goes for anyone else who'd like to chime in as well...

17. I'm a big fan of Old Chester Gray (lower color)...think it would look right at home on your car.
    1932Ford-B400-Convertible-SedanTunisGray.jpg

kidcampbell71 and jmiller1918 like this.
  18. The Old Chester Grey Gary suggested is a gorgeous color. Ford coach maroon is beautiful, but probably as unforgiving of imperfections as black. I can't see the white, I must admit, but you have done a hell of a job so far, it's possible the white might surprise me! For a lighter shade, maybe '34 Ford Cordoba Tan? Lots of the old Ford factory shades of the late 1920's and early '30's could work well. My '29 roadster is Rose Beige (really a brown) with Seal Brown (a darker brown). I'll be leaving those colors intact.
    Jim

gwhite likes this.
  19. Carter

Carter

Old Chester Grey, Cordoba Tan, and Rose Beige were all on my short list. White is hard to picture, I think, and as such, I will say that looking at the Deluxe Speed Shop 28-9 roadster and the other white 28-9 roadster that was at TRoG this year(I think Hollywood who had the 33-4 coupe there last year was driving it) are the best bet as far as picturing white on an early A roadster.

20. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

You're welcome, I loved seeing that SS! Thoughts of Legion Ascot-Lincoln Heights! You're very talented, Keep up the GREAT work! and send the pix when you can.

21. Deuce_Eddie

Deuce_Eddie
    from Portugal

Just found this thread and spent the best part of two hours reading up... one more for the inspiration folder!

Keep up the good work!

22. ^^what he said ^^ great reading when I should be working.....self employment at its best.....even with a sandwich ! Love the roadster, loved the read.

23. Carter

Carter

Couple pictures of my thrown together bob-tail car built quickly for this years TRoG.

What I had done in the 10 -1/2 months after the 2nd Race.
    IMG_20131116_123129.jpg

What I did in the last 6 weeks before this years race, with a little help from a few friends.

Slammed an engine together with a bunch of unknown parts...
    Bob10.jpg

Bob7.jpg

Plenty of late nights in the driveway...
    Bob4.jpg

Bob5.jpg

First drive was a block up the street to load it on the trailer

Bob6.jpg

Lettered in a hotel parking lot in New Jersey Friday night by the one and only Zach Suhr.

Bob8.jpg

Once home from New Jersey it was apparent the .023 piston to head clearance was not enough, though it ran well once some carb issues were sorted until the head gasket failed Sunday... There is a faint imprint of the .125 overbore stamp from the piston top transferred to the bottom of the Cyclone head!

Bob11.jpg

Bob1.jpg

Well, that's that. I didn't take many pictures, didn't have time! Maybe Ben will add a few here, I think he has some during the build...

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  24. Carter

Carter

Thanks again, you are too kind! The handful above are the only picture I have, my wife has a bunch from Facebook and different places.

Thank you!

Thanks!

25. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

That first picture..... I was doubtful it would see the sand !!

26. Carter

Carter

You and me both!

Thanks for all of your help, couldn't have done it without you.

27. Wauw... this roadster... I'm very big fan! :D
    One thing I don't get, though, is the rear most bar - is it a horizontal push-bar, or what?
    Colour-wise, I'm leaning towards a beige/sand/very light brown body on otherwise black car on my project (if not the same shade of grass green, as my tudor - easy to spot!), but Cordoba Tan is a very good looking shade of that...
    Have you made any progress? What school are you going too? :)

28. Carter

Carter

Thanks! I haven't touched the car since this time last year. Really need to find the time to finish the body work and paint it.
    The horizontal bar across the back is just the stock bumper cross brace. I flipped it around so the mounting arms were forward, drilled new holes in the bumper arms to mount it, then trimmed the bumper arms off flush with the cross brace.

I've changed my mind a hundred times on the color, I'll probably decide the day I go buy paint...

Dannerr likes this.
  29. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Carter, just read the whole thread. Very nice work on the roadster, and love the Winfield parts.

30. Autolite

Autolite

Carter, great work and love your roadster. Just read the entire thread and it sounds like you had a lot of fun and met some good people. Thanks for sharing it.