Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage What to do now that bonneville is canceled?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Frenchie 1, Aug 9, 2014.

1. Frenchie  1

Frenchie 1
    from Colorado

I have the week off were on our way to the BSF. Now that it's canceled what is there to do? We will go all most anywhere. The hamb drags are possibly on our way home after the speedway museum but what can we do to fill the void? I'm sure there is more people wondering the same.

2. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Find a local map and take in the sights...there's plenty of them in Utah and ColoRODo...

R-

3. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Reminds me of a complaint a few years back...
    Bonneville Butch and I were cleaning up the streamliner after Butch got back from Speedweeks.
    A local street rodder dropped in, and was venting his distress from the 3 days he'd spent on the salt.
    "Worse 'car show' I've ever been to, everything all spread out, cars all apart, guys telling us to stand back..."
    I didn't know whether to laugh or shoot. 'Get a rope' comes to mind...

bchrismer likes this.
  4. Blind Elwood

Blind Elwood

Drive Southwest and visit Zion or Bryce Canyon.
    Elwood

5. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I'll bet the Rolling Bones will just proceed to the west coast, follow the coastline up into Canada and put a few thousand miles exploring the Canadian scenery, eventually crossing back into the US at Niagara Falls and on home. Should be about time for an oil change and get back in the shop and build until the next event out west.

Frank

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

7. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Bonneville rained out, for the first time in history (I think). But all you see on the mainstream news is the west is having the worst drought in history.

Can any of you westerners tell us what is really going on ?

8. Not the first time. We busted our butts getting our bike ready for the salt in '68. Got up there, through inspection, only to be told on Sunday that the course could not be dried out in time, and the meet was cancelled. It's a bitter pill when you've spent a year saving and preparing to run. At least it was dry in '69 and we came home with two records.

9. guitarmook

guitarmook
    from Austin, TX

We got to Salt Lake Thursday, saw the delay (at that time) so went south and saw both Bryce Canyon and Zion. Absolutely gorgeous, very, very glad we went. Came back up from St. George this morning, to find the week cancelled, so will head for Denver tomorrow.

If you have time to go south, I highly recommend it.

10. Daddy_O

Daddy_O

Here are three ideas/options: 1) HAMB Drags 2) HAMB Drags 3)HAMB Drags
    You can't go wrong taking in this incredible one day, drag racing event at the infamous MoKan Raceway.
    As others have mentioned, if you're way out west, turn south in Utah and take in the parks listed.
    If you're not that far west, turn south at Cheyenne, WY, and take your pick of sites from Northern ColoRODo to Colorado Springs. Many many things to see and do along the front range.
    If you're still east, take in Speedy Bill's Museum in Lincoln, NE. You can spend days in that place.
    Take in some KC BBQ, and a slow cruise down to Joplin. WZ Junk has a list of things once you're there.
    Then enjoy the races on Saturday, and start home that night, or make a banzai run home on Sunday if you have to be back to work on Monday .

11. Arches, Brice Canyon, Zion are all on my bucket list, If you haven't had your car up in Rocky Mountain NP, or Pikes Peak, that would be neat. I know these are not car related, but remember when given lemons, make lemonade!

Bud Crane likes this.
  12. Imwalkin

Imwalkin
    from Tucson, Az

Tour Utah. I did arches national park last year. Great views. Can't wait to go back.

13. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

yep, and make plans for next year.

14. or...go up in the mountains and pan for gold, you may break even...

clem likes this.
  15. utahdodge

utahdodge

Last year on the way to the flats, I drove what remains of the transcontinental railroad bed. It's pretty desolate and requires high road clearance, but its interesting if you are in to history. The locomotives are at Promontory Point (where east met west) all summer. The route meets the freeway just northwest of wendover and ends near Tremonton Utah. Take a can of gas and some water if you go, just in case.

16. 5window

5window

Brice Canyon is just magnificent.

17. ryno

ryno

18. 39-2dr

39-2dr
    from MISSOURI

Ditto on the HAMB Drags. And there a pretty good swap in Springfield; a short drive away. It starts on Friday for 3 days. A side trip to the Starbird Museum not a bad idea either.

19. neb-rivet

neb-rivet
    from Nebraska

I went to the golden spike national monument. I was planning on seeing it on Monday so I just went early. I then went on to see Bear Lake in NE Utah almost at the Idaho boarder.

Why waste a trip this far?

20. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

21. ruralrod

ruralrod

Went up to Park City. Cool joint. Killer food. High West distillery whiskey!! ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1407639489.708787.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1407639506.324905.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

22. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, to a certain extent.

The West Coast is having the worst drought ever. Our rainy season did not come this past winter. For several years prior, the rain has been scant.

Where Bonneville is, is the high desert. It is supposed to be dry; however, as you see, it is not. I could comment further than just stating observations, but that would require straying into territory which is not permitted on this board.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  23. Head on up to sturgis South Dakota ,
    Something to see even without a bike.

24. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Raining like hell there too.
    [​IMG]

25. 69supercj

69supercj

I'll second the advice on taking in the HAMB drags at MoKan and if your this close you might as well go a bit further east and hit the huge swap meet at Springfield. It starts on Friday and goes till Sunday but A LOT of the vendors pack it up Saturday night so I wouldn't waste my time on Sunday. And Friday night in Joplin at the Holiday Inn is one of the best car shows you'll see.