Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Flathead Air conditioning

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jimmy2car, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

Guys, I have a flathead engine in my 32 Tudor Sedan. I'm thinking of adding A/C to it.
    I want to know if I could drive the engine cooling fan off the compressor, as I don't have a generator
    or Alternator on the engine. The alternator is driven off the driveshaft.
    The compressor would occupy the generator's place.
    Anyone familiar with small compressors or A/C in general?
    Thanks
    Jim

2. I put a Southern air system in my '35 and couldn't get the flathead to run cool enough so I took the system back out. I have two combo compressor/alternator brackets for the flathead and you could still bolt on the fan bracket underneath. It's all for sale, PM me if interested.

3. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

Thanks RB, but not quite what I'm looking for.
    Anyone?

4. aaggie

aaggie

Contact Vintage Air, if it can be done they will know how and have the parts you need.

5. DoubleJ52

DoubleJ52
    from Belton, MO

The compressor would have to be engaged all the time to run a fan off of it, I'm not sure how you could put a fan on the end of a compressor anyway

6. My '40 stake truck's flatty has the fan on the crank pully, instead of being high mounted, with a single belt that goes around the crank pully, water pumps and up to the alternator that I am running. I would think that if you are able to drive your fan off of the crank, you could put the compressor where the generator normally would go.