Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Opinions on a clutch for 500hp SBC

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by midnightrider78, Jul 31, 2014.

1. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

I am building a '56 Chevy 150 with a 383 SBC that will have a Super T10 behind it when I get finished. The engine builder estimated this engine to be putting out close to 500hp. I don't intend to race the car much if at all. I am looking for suggestions as to what the best clutch would be. I have been kind of leaning toward a RAM Powergrip.

2. Douglas B.

Douglas B.

Centerforce or Mcleod is my recomondation. I had a centerforce behind my '57 and raced/launched the hell out of it and drove it on the street all the time. Great pedal pressure and never slipped. Make sure you have a good flywheel. Have fun.

loudbang likes this.
  3. I agree with Douglas B. here. Mcleod clutches are pretty damned nice and sturdy as the day is long.

4. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

I have a new steel RAM flywheel

5. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

If I were to go with a Mcleod clutch, which model?

Also, since I am starting with nothing, how do I determine diameter?

I am using a '70s Lakewood scattershield and block plate if that makes any difference to this conversation.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  6. pila38

pila38

The Super Street Pro is good to about 500 HP and fairly cheap at $300. I've heard excellent things about their RST clutches as well, but they are pretty pricey.

7. Douglas B.

Douglas B.

The Super Street Pro series is an all around good clutch from McLeod. I ran an 11" with my Muncie.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. Douglas B.

Douglas B.

Lakewood blowproof bell housing usually will accommodate an 11". Make sure the locating dowels with the bell housing allow your transmission to install free without binding ensuring smooth operation of the clutch.

9. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

Since I will have a block plate, do I need some sort of shim between the flywheel and crank?

10. Douglas B.

Douglas B.

Nope. Are you mounting in stock location with tranny mounts on the bell housing?

11. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

I will be using speedway side mounts on the motor and a rear mount(one we made years ago) on the trans

12. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

Do I want to use heavy grade bolts or studs & nuts to hold the trans to the bellhousing? I have seen people do it both ways.

13. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Studs with 12 point nuts will make it easier to bolt up in some locations on the mounting bolt holes and you will want grade 8 fasteners.

14. Leadsled51

Leadsled51

You might want to check to make sure your flywheel will allow a different manufacturers clutch and pressure plate to bolt up to it. I originally had a Centerforce flywheel, pressure plate and clutch, that didn't last long in a racing application, and just had my centerforce flywheel resurfaced, but went with a Ram clutch/pressure plate. Had to buy a Ram flywheel because the bolt holes on the Centerforce flywheel would not line up.

15. Hollow65

Hollow65

McLeod sells a nice adjustable race clutch. Southland clutch is a good product also

16. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

Does anyone know if a McLeod clutch will mate to a RAM flywheel without a problem?
    I've gotten most of my parts from JEGS. Will I be able to talk to anyone there that actually knows?

17. kuhn1941

kuhn1941

In the early 90's I ran a Hayes street strip stage 2 clutch and pressure plate . Worked great .