Register now to get rid of these ads!

53 chevy chop sinking rear glass

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by los punk rods dave, Jan 10, 2011.

1. here is how we chopped a 53 chevy 2 dr post and kept the same rear glass by sinking it into the window frame without cutting glass at all,
    chopped 3 1/2 out of front and about 4 inches in rear , didnt go radical because this will become a daily driver and he has 3 kids who will be in the back seat

Attached Files:

2. chopped live at greaserama 2010 , have more pictures under that thread but my camera wasnt working that good so here is more pics

Attached Files:

3. moved rear window bottom forward 3 1/2 inches to keep window frame about what stock would be didnt want to raise and roll whole window frame forward they look to big and throws off the lines of the chop , sat down for weeks trying to figure out a way to do what i wanted and i came up with this method , keeps the STOCK appearance after being chopped and NO GLASS CUTTING!!!!!
    i made a sheet metal template of the rear glass and took that with me down to the show when i chopped it so i could check the fit without taking the risk of breaking the glass , worked perfect , chopped car in 2 days in a drive in, live , not bad !

Attached Files:

4. more pictures and detail of the glass sliding into the cut " channel '' at the bottom
    slightly slanted b pillars rear windows will be still be functional , dont want to just 'glue' them in , again kids will be riding back there , also car is going to be fully airbagged and an olds 350 , auto installed

Attached Files:

5. Racrdad

Racrdad

Thats pretty cool you chopped it without cutting the glass. Are you doing the windshield the same way or will the glass be cut for it?

6. having front glass cut using the sandblasting method , front glass is not tempered like the rear glass , that is why people screw lexan in the rear windows or totally use a coupe rear window in these cars , personally i like the rear wrap around glass , and wanted to keep it and so did the owner

7. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Very cool...I have heard of this method but have never actually seen it done...How about interior pics of the glass pocket inside for anyone interested in trying this. How are you keeping it water tight? I also like the wrapped rear glass on these bodys, alot more of a pain in the ass tho!

8. dragginit93

dragginit93
    BANNED
    from western,ma

yeah id like to see the inside of the rear window

9. thesupersized

thesupersized

AWESOME! definitely like that way you're doing this. did you slide the glass up from undernieth? what is supporting the glass underneath? I'll be following this, want to see how you attack the rubber.

10. repop back glass are now laminated and can be cut like the windshields. also come in clear, green,grey, and privacy

Attached Files:

11. billys54

billys54

12. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very cool, great idea (if the weatherproofing works).
    I looked thru a bunch of photos after doing a search, not able to find the chop. Can you post a link or post more photos of the in-progress chop?

13. thesupersized

thesupersized

i heard about this, but never seen them for sale...where did you buy it?

14. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Chev Of the 40s sells them, also Hotrod glass. But dont mess up..it cost me 500 bucks to deliver back east a few years back...I learned the hard way:(...sucks throwing them away:mad:

15. glass slides down from the top , i will have a u shaped channel welded underneath the package tray just to protect the lower section of sunken glass ,( not really necesary but just in case )
    will buy new window rubber , wrap around glass as before and trim off excess then will split rubber in half at the bottom where it slides down into pocket , install window rubber as before around the frame lip at top and sides then with window in and rubber installed except for where it is split on the bottom fill the area between the sunken glass and lower part of frame with black silicone on both sides and seat rubber into the gaps and into the silicone , tape window at the top to keep it from sliding down while the sealant dries , we are going to install the chrome back as the original , sealing method is already proven talked extensively to a guy that had done his rear window rubber this way, looked exactly like stock! when we get the glass ready to install ill take some pics , or ill just mock it up and take some pictures for reference

16. pics of chop in progress thread, 1953 chevy chop live at greaserama
    my camera crapped out and had to post pics up what people had

17. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Dave. My search skills suck, apparently. Here's the thread link for the other idiots:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...&highlight=1953+chevy+chop+live+at+greaserama

That is so fucking awesome!! Great job! Like you say in that thread:

chop a car at a show live in 2 days ,in the grass with thousands of people watching with an unproven method , and have it not be your car and then you will learn the definition of STRESS!!

Kudos, brother. Very cool.

18. cicciobilly

cicciobilly
    from italy

Very cool! If sooner or later I'll chop mine I would like to have it done in this way! subscribed!

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ

19. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Just a suggestion...Id recomend using 3M Super Windo-Weld Urathaine (#08609) verses a 100% silcone as it has a much stronger bond and wont break down as quick...once its on its on for good! Comes in a tube for caulking gun use, its like 20 bucks or so but well worth it! Just my 2cents to keep u dry!

20. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

This is Ben's car right? Looking good. Keep it up!

21. mlagusis

mlagusis

I did the same thing when I choped my brother's 56 chrysler. Works good.

22. Ballageddon

Ballageddon
    from NorCal

Awesome thread!!!

23. Studebakester

Studebakester
    from Oxnard, CA

Hey there mlagusis, I have a 55 Chrysler that I want to chop and have been looking for relative info. I would really like to talk to you about the 56 you chopped, especially since you used the sunken rear window technique. If you're still on here please reply or pm me. thanx.