Register now to get rid of these ads!

New Here, from S.E. Kansas

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by VanP, Jul 25, 2014.

1. VanP

VanP

Just joined. I've lurked around this website for some time now, and what I have read brings back great memories. My first car was a 1948 F-1 with a Straight 6, I bought for $125, in 1974. A farmer used it to haul hay out to his cows, then parked it one day behind the shed and left it - it still had 1966 plates on it. I drained the old gas, put in fresh and a new battery, and started it up and drove it home. I named him (trucks are "him's, cars are "her"s) 'Sherman', cuz he was built like a tank. He only lived with us for a couple years, till I loaned him to a buddy(?) who ran him too hard on the Interstate and threw a rod through the side of the crankcase. Being a lowly Marine PFC at the time, making $149 a payday, I could not repair Sherman, so he was taken away by the Salvage Man, perhaps to be found and restored (and given a V-8!) by someone who could care better for him.

Now, 38 years after, I feel the need to get a new Flathead Fix, a V-8 this time. My head is filled with the stories from my dad, who, after WWII lived in LA, and was a hot rodder and sometimes lake racer (El Mirage and Rosamond). He often lamented that Sherman didn't have a V-8, since he knew how to make it sing - learned from guys like Vic Edelbrock, Ed Iskendarian, and Karl Orr. Dad's gone nearly 30 years now, but hopefully I can glean enough from the CENTURIES of combined experience you have all contributed to these pages. I'm hunting for the elusive useable FH block now - located a '51 Merc that is calling me...$500, no return guarantee...

2. 1EvilPaul

1EvilPaul

3. Welcome! Nice intro. You come by the addiction honestly; it's in your blood..
    Let us know when you come up with a project.

4. DozerMek

DozerMek
    from Chapman,KS

Welcome from Chapman.

5. VanP

VanP

I have been bitten by th in-line bug - looking ay streamline Chevys (Fleetline). Always a soft spot in my head for Flatheads, tho...

6. welcome aboard .....

7. Arthur1958

Arthur1958

Welcome from Ark City!

8. Welcome from Kansas City!