Register now to get rid of these ads!

History "Building The Little Deuce Coupe":Mike Alexander's Story !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jonnie King, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

PROBABLY THE MOST FAMOUS SONG EVER written about a car was "The Little Deuce Coupe" by the Beach Boys.

[​IMG]

As you all know, Mike & Larry Alexander, the "A-Brothers" from Detroit, built the original version of that soon-to-be famous '32 Ford Coupe. And, in his first HOF Legends Series Interview, MIKE ALEXANDER, explains how it all came-together, in PART 1 of the story.

From when Clarence "Chili" Catallo walked in the door of the Alexander Brothers shop, until he headed for California with it in tow, Mike gave me the full story...including, his take on the Barris re-do of the Coupe, seeing the Deuce on the Album cover, and, working with Clarence's son, Curt, on the restoration of that infamous "Little Deuce Coupe".

It's a great story, as only Mike can tell it so, if you're ready, here's MIKE ALEXANDER'S STORY about that legendary '32 3-Window, along with some great comments from LOU CALASIBETTA this is PART 1 Simply click-on here , listen, and, enjoy !

Best to all !

2. Nobey

Nobey

Very cool, thanks.......

3. Harms Way

Harms Way

Mike & Larry,.... Fantastic guys, And a lot of history surrounds them..... I will defiantly be subscribing to this,.... Thanks for posting it !

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  4. Great interview. I talked with Mike at the last Autorama. I was involved in the early history of the Lil Deuce, as Chili Catallo's parents bought a grocery store from my parents. He was 15 years old when we first towed the coupe home from Ziggy's mom's house. That started the little deuce coupe and it had a life before the A bros., but they did the major transformation. Look forward to part 2.

5. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Harms Way...

Thanks ! Also, appreciate the pic !

Love the early b&w shots...reminds me of all my "little pages" that I've saved, and still have packed away in my Archives...since I was 13 !

Jonnie www.legends.thewwbc.net

6. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

hotrod1940...

Your memories & history in the R&C field still amaze me !

Yes, the coupe had an early "first version"...but as Mike says, "Chili" wanted more. And, Mike & Larry sure supplied that !
    http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage174.html

Thanks again for the Info !!

7. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

8. Deuces

Deuces

Anyone know where that famous July '61 HOT ROD photo was taken????.... Looks to me it was taken somewhere in Dearborn.... I think I know where....

9. eppster

eppster

I fell in love with that car as soon as I saw it on the cover of Hot Rod. I still feel that way.

10. Deuces

Deuces

11. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sure loved the song back in the day. First time I ever heard the term "Deuce".

12. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

TO ALL OF MY H.A.M.B. FRIENDS:

As you probably know by now, one of our true R&C Legends, MIKE ALEXANDER, sadly passed away Friday, July 18th, 2014, after a long battle with cancer.

I was privileged to know Mike for many years, accordingly, I've re-edited our Interview about "The Little Deuce Coupe" build found in this thread, and added a bit more to fully honor this truly, wonderful Industry Legend.

If you missed it when it was added in 2012, please take the time to listen, as Mike's Info on this iconic build of his , and Larry's, is just spot-on.

Here's the Link again: http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage174.html

Thanks again, Mike...R.I.P. my friend,

13. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Just got off the phone with Lou Calasibetta, and a few minutes later, Chuck Miller. Both on the way to Mike's funeral. He will laid out at about 3pm today at the Martenson Funeral Home, 3200 West Road, Trenton, Michigan

Lou & Chuck both told me they were so glad that we were able to record Mike and his stories when we did, otherwise they would have been lost to "A-Brothers" fans all-over the world.

Mike Alexander truly was one of the kindest, most-talented, builders to ever light-up a torch, or swing a hammer. He was very frail at the time of this Interview, but his memories, as you'll hear, were spot-on !

Many thanks to all...and, feel free to add any of your memories of Mike.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  14. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

RIP Mike and thanks Jonnie for getting it down on tape.

15. Ok, I am a little computer ignorant, but I can't get any sound anywhere on that web site. Did I read it correctly that there are voice recordings to be heard there? How do you make it work?

16. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Hi Don,

Yes, Don, there are hundreds of stories to hear on the site. Make sure you have Adobe Flash (it's free) installed to enable listening. Sorry that you are having a problem.

Also, the problem can sometimes be traced to the Browser your using. Simply changing over to a different one usually solves the problem.

Again, sorry about your situation...it's always frustrating when technology restricts the literally thousands of hours worth of work that have been put into the site since 2006. But, hopefully if you try the above methods you will be okay.

Sincere thanks, for letting me know...

17. Don't feel too bad Don,I'm having the same problem. o_O HRP

18. The Michigan area, and the A bros., and the Little deuce coupe, are part of my heritage. I, too, have my little A bros pin and many memories. As a tribute to the A bros, go to the Gilmore Museum in Hickory Corners, Mich. and see the Little deuce coupe as part of the Michigan hot rod tribute. Dennis Lesky has put together a tribute to Mich. hotrods and it is very impressive.
    I last saw Mike a few years back when he displayed the Vargo roadster recreation, and his latest Ridler contender 60 years apart, and he was still going. They both will be missed. R.I.P., A bros.

19. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

HRP...

Sorry about your problems too, my friend. I'm listening to it right now, I always check every Link before I Post it, and it's running perfectly.

Try the above Info that I left for Don, and it could solve your problem.

pwschuh...

Thanks for your kind words too !

Jonnie

20. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

hotrod1940...

Know your association with the A-Brothers...thanks for your kind thoughts.
    Mike gave me my A-Brothers Pin many years ago...it's one of my prized possessions, as is the GREAT A-Brothers Poster that Mike & Larry signed and gave me in 2003 that hangs in my garage.

Two of the classiest guys in the Industry ! R.I.P. to Both Mike & Larry.

21. One last thing, I too have a Dave Bell poster featuring many of the A bros creations hanging in my computer room. We are losing our icons daily and it is sad. The legacy these guys leave is awesome. Hot coffee on a winters day will always remind me of hanging out at these old shops.