Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dodge Route 66

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by surfersrust, Jul 21, 2014.

1. surfersrust

surfersrust
    from Brisbane

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1406003893.202526.jpg [/ATTACH]
    Hi this is my first post but I have responded to other adds & comments, this is the start of my trek with my 1939 Dodge Business Coupe along Route 66, meeting up with a friend who bought a 62 series 1940 Cadillac from Dallas.
    My journey starts in Australia, I have been looking for a 30's business coupe, missed a couple of Oldsmobile coupes, on the classifieds, then I Joined The Hamb, 3 weeks ago, so am now starting my journey toward home from New Mexico. If you see us on the road say hi. I don't think you can miss this vehicle, not a traditional colour but it does have an intriguing history. Not my first classic/hot rod etc, just for filling a dream.
    Thanks to the previous owner, a real champion, Albuquerque will be our next main stop this week, hope to see you on the road

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

2. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

Safe trip mate!

surfersrust likes this.
  3. 4woody

4woody

I love these kinds of stories!
    Keep us posted.

surfersrust likes this.
  4. Have you bought the coupe in the U.S. and sending it down here? Nice coupe, have a good & safe trip!

surfersrust likes this.

5. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

surfersrust likes this.
  6. X77D80

X77D80
    from New Mexico

Congrats, that is a great car.

surfersrust likes this.
  7. surfersrust

surfersrust
    from Brisbane

Thanks everyone for posting your comments, tomorrow we roll out up to Santa Rosa to meet up with our Aussie mates.
    I communicated with Wayne the seller for approx 3 weeks then decided to fly over & drive it back to LA, a good choice too.
    Will post photos of our wheels in motion, cheers

8. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

I'll look out for you when you come thru Kingman Az. Cool ride you have there.

surfersrust likes this.
  9. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

Good on 'ya, mate. Safe trip back to Oz.

surfersrust likes this.
  10. surfersrust

surfersrust
    from Brisbane

57Custom300, thanks, let you know as we get closer. In Santa Rosa today. What a great drive, no problems a little rain, friendly people just wanting a chat & take some photos. Took our own food so stopped under a tree with our own cool drinks & sandwiches. Truckers coming over to chat & take our photos. Such a buzz. Here's some shots of the day.
    PS our mate with the Caddy is repairing the steering rack, a little mishap, luckily not at speed, near Springfield. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1406172521.341409.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1406172551.291854.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1406172571.617178.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1406172598.843264.jpg
    Hope ya'all like them

11. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

creating great memories............:cool:

more please..:)

K

surfersrust likes this.
  12. loudbang

loudbang

Good stuff.

surfersrust likes this.
  13. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Don't forget to get that import approval from Canberra arranged before you send the car down under; otherwise it could be languishing at the docks upon arrival incurring all those additional costs. Where are you based down under, I presume that you have a reputable shipper arranged? Have a safe trip and looking forward to the updates.

surfersrust likes this.
  14. surfersrust

surfersrust
    from Brisbane

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1406204705.246904.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1406204733.315723.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1406204757.091636.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1406204782.970658.jpg
    The lunch photos were taken in Vaughan. A shady spot & lunch from the boot (Trunk)
    The cream 39 Dodge is for sale 48k
    That's at the museum on Rt 66
    The sign Philip 66 is always special for me as it was one of the first servos I remember as a kid, there was one right around the corner. This sign is also at the museum

15. Gene holley

Gene holley
    from Fulda

I want to start next week from Chicago on the Route 66. If you see a white 59 Olds dynamic 88, that's me ;)

surfersrust likes this.
  16. nmbuellist

nmbuellist

So which car do you like best--the one you are driving or the one in the museum? Did you swim the Blue Hole? How close are your mate's ?

surfersrust likes this.
  17. Magnus

Magnus
    from Sweden

surfersrust likes this.
  18. surfersrust

surfersrust
    from Brisbane

Yes I have the Aussie approval so it's all going ahead.
    My Caddy friends may be in Oklahoma, they had steering problems yesterday, so wsiting for the progress today.
    After spending the night in Santa Rosa & dining at Joseph's Diner for a fine meal, today we stepped and drove down to Fort Summer, Billy the Kid territory. Found some lovely old gents at the Museum, car enthusiasts & always up for a chat.
    The museum is fabulous, great drive & some nice souvenirs as well as Studebakers- coach & cars in the back shed.
    Found the best cappacino west of New York & east of Australia, iced coffee tea blueberry muffins boxed sandwiches and fabulous service.
    Mill Iron Coffee Bar 801 N 4th Street
    Fort Sumner, NM. Do yourself a flavour & visit.
    Then we took off toward Albuquerque , a little hazy but a fine day, not in any hurry, enjoying the sights & waves from passers by.
    But we started hearing a noise while under load, about 20 miles out from Albuquerque, decided to pull in for lunch & check the car. After our ice blocks the car was cool enough to check the vital signs. Water oil good, no leaks, starts fine---but under acceleration sounds like big end rattle Ugh nooo! Got a second opinion down the old 66 road into Albuquerque.our faces dropped. We drove a short way very slowly to some accommodation. Booked a truck for Saturday & a hire car.
    THE END.
    Will do some engine freshen ups when we get back. Thanks for following. We have had a ball. The Dodge is fabulous & no Wayne I wouldn't swap it for the one in Santa Rosa. Too many modern bits on that car , for me. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1406259932.702664.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1406259980.651597.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1406259998.030992.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1406260026.738341.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1406260048.860934.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1406260098.229585.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1406260135.532532.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1406260149.947104.jpg
    PARKED UP THE END:FOR NOW

19. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

It's a damn shame that you had trouble with the car (whick looks great , BTW) . It seems like you had a real ball up until it happened though , which is the important part . I'll be doing the rte.66 trip next year in my 49 Ford cpe. with my father (while we're both still around) . That should be full of memories as well ... hopefully not with the same end result though ;) .

Have a safe trip back home (both you & the ride)

surfersrust likes this.
  20. surfersrust

surfersrust
    from Brisbane

Yes thanks Buddy Palumbo. We have been so excited by the trip. Everyone has been helpful and interested in us and our car. We found other enthusiasts along the way unknowingly, to strike up a conversation with them then they pour out about their projects, passions interests now and from years gone by...So inspiring...
    Assuming now its only a bottom bearing should be back on the road in OZ in no time...

In Australia there are quite a few car events. One we are planing on doing in 2015 is an event ccalled Kustom Nataionals on Philip Island, in Victoria. It happens the first week end in January. Hot Rods Kustoms Classics. We last went in 2010, it was fabulous. Jam packed with beautiful cars and people. Surf beaches and bay beaches.The Phillip Island race track is used for the Sunday so we get to drive our cars around, no burnouts or dangerous driving, its alot of fun...The plan is to drive th '39 Dodge and tow a teardrop to the event. So there will be more photos and new story for that one for sure.
    I will post what we find with the motor once we get home.
    We have had a blast, thanks everyone

21. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. Great story. Post more later when you get it running.
    I have been wanting to do several shakedown cruises on my 46 Chevy coupe if my mehanic will ever get the engine finished.
    I purchased it in Kansas last year & trailered it home & put around 2,500 miles on it and the old tired original engine gave it up. It has really been slow getting it back on the road.
    Once I get some good shakedown time on this newer engine (a 235 six cylinder with a major rebuild) I would like to do a trip following the Gulf of Mexico from Texas to Florida & then back home along the old U.S. 80 route.

I did the old Route 66 twice from Lousiania to Calif in the mid to late 60's picking up 66 around Amarillo.
    I likely should do that one again also.

It is really hard on me right now with so much club activities going on & no old car to drive. I am a member of local chapters of AACA, VCCA and Inliners & there is at least 1 activity going on every week.

I just wish I had done all of this several years ago so my wife could have enjoyed all this.

Take care. Jimmie

surfersrust likes this.
  22. surfersrust

surfersrust
    from Brisbane

We are in Hollywood now. Had a fantastic time in our hired car...saw some fab cars too. Here are a few of interest. We did as much of 66 as possible, we were lucky the desert section in California was overcast, that section was long and bearable under the clouded sky...
    Wrong phone, will post photos later

23. surfersrust

surfersrust
    from Brisbane

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1407211876.683888.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1407211898.483597.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1407211908.716916.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1407211926.083476.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1407211959.233484.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1407211976.033463.jpg