Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical A better steering box for a 37 Chevy p/u

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junkyardjeff, Jul 20, 2014.

1. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Right now I have a 41-6 box in my 37 which is better then the original but since its going to need rebuilt I was thinking about a slightly newer box,it has a dropped axle up front and looking for one that will not be too hard to install so anyone know what would work good.

2. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I am installing a GM 525 steering box on my 38 Chevy coupe and changing it to cross steer. Only problem is exhaust clearance. I will be building fenderwell headers for the 409 so wont be a problem in my case.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
  3. pila38

pila38

I'm using a '41-'46 box in my '38 half ton. I just rebuilt it in February, and it was not a complicated project. If you already know it fits, you may not want to mess with it and have to change all of your steering as well.

4. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I might have to look into a rebuild kit for the 41-6 box and rebuild it,the 235 is going to be pulled in a few weeks so then would be the time to rebuild.

5. pila38

pila38

Chevs of the '40s has a rebuild kit with all the ball bearings included. Its spendy though at around $150. Word to the wise, they include two races with the kit for the worm shaft bearings. You only need one though (the upper), because the worm adjuster screw (the giant one on the bottom of the box) has the race built into it and it cannot be replaced. I found out the hard way and had to replace that screw ($115 for the replacement!). Good luck!

6. A 505 box?

7. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I used a Toyota 4x4 steering box (pre 85) . Available in power or non power . Build a simple mount and pitman arms are available to adapt to old drag link !

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. I installed a Vega box in my 38 Chevy coupe. It works great. I also went with fenderwell headers since the box was in the way for the ram horn exhaust manifolds I previously used on my 327. DSCN3924.JPG

9. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

meant 525. Corrected

10. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Gearheadruss, Did you have to custom build your fenderwell headers or is there some factory made ones that fit? How about a pic.

11. I found the fenderwell headers at a swap meet. I had to cut them and lengthen them 2-3 inches to clear my clutch linkage. Wish I could tell you more about them. Cimg0603.jpg

12. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

They worked out good. I actually am putting a 409 in my coupe so I'm sure I'll have to build some from scratch. I thought if you might have used some for a 59 to 64 Chevy then the 59 to 64 409 fenderwell headers might work on mine.

13. rustang

rustang

Junkyardjeff, I also went with a Vega box on my '38 half ton, also went to cross steer on it. I used the Patriot "fat fender" fenderwell headers on my 327. With the box location needed, ramhorn or similar headers on the inside of the frame would be a tight fit... with the fenderwells everything is pretty easy...
    Tom

14. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

It has a 235 so I probably wont have to deal with clearance issues