Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Pre-War Tail Light Choices for Fenderless Roadsters

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by jmiller1918, Jul 19, 2014.

1. I know there have been dozens of discussions on here about tail lights in general, and I have read through a bunch. I didn't see quite what I was looking for in the search results, but if it is out there, please direct me to it! Anyways, my own project ('29 roadster) is planned along a 1945 and earlier "parts and practices" time-frame.

I have a set of original '39 tail lights, and was planning on using those. Got to thinking about cutting those big holes in rear pan and started to wonder. What I've seen on most traditional pre-war type builds in the stock (single) Model A tail light set up in the center. Was anyone actually using the '37 tail lights we see a lot of nowadays? They fit the timeline, and look great, but I'm wondering if they were actually being used on "A" or '32 roadsters back then.

I like the look of the '39 lights, always have. And they are certainly traditional. Anyone who has studied the early rods have any thoughts to share on pre-War tail lights, what was commonly being used, what are the best choices?

2. well, I use the '37 tail lights on my tudor.

3. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

The short answer is, yes they were used...
    [​IMG]
    ...Life Magazine 1945 (pic originally posted by Jimmy on here)

4. I didn't want to cut mine either so I mounted the stock lights under the panel. The 37's don't seem period correct and certainly are used a LOT. Tim

Attached Files:

• 005.JPG
      005.JPG
      File size:
      580.4 KB
      Views:

5. Bill Kimball's '29 in 1941 (looks like '39 lights to me);
    Bill Kimball 1941.jpg
    Bob Bebek's A, circa 1941;
    Bob Bebek 1941.jpg
    Bob Nordskog's 29, shown here in 1936;
    Bob Nordskog A roadster 1936.jpg
    Don Ferrara (left) Al Barnes (right) roadsters - 1943;
    Ferrara Barnes 1943.jpg
    Johnny Bean, 1939;
    Johnny Bean Roadster 1939 1.jpg

6. Thanks for the great pic Rainier, but my "were they really being used?" question was about the *'37* lights, not the '39's, which I know were popular. I was wondering if they were using the '37's back then....

7. gwhite, thanks for very interesting pics!! I don't think I've ever seen the rear-mount spare retained on a fenderless build! I'm leaning back towards using my '39 lights, they just look good and are correct to early traditional builds.

8. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

I've been pondering the same thing on my '29 Roadster. It's got a Lincoln V-12 so I even thought of using the '39 Zephyr taillights. Same teardrop shape but something a little different. These are LED but more period correct ones are available. Zephyr lights.jpg

9. A Rodder

A Rodder

I have been running the single A light on a modified spare mount in the center of the rear.
    I don't think anything beats the look if you are going for a prewar simple Hot Rod.

10. Editorial here; I think it depends on what style of prewar build you're going for...the teardrop lights look right on an A roadster on deuce rails (or a '32 roadster for that matter). A more basic A on stock rails looks better with a center-mounted A light IMO.

Here's an early aftermarket light (slightly larger than an A tail light) I'm going to use this on my T RPU (on A rails);
    [​IMG]

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  11. I also used '39 lights on my 40's era Model A, but my other choice was to use a '32 light on a '32 truck bracket and hang it off the side. I was going to do that until i found the '39s. I haven't seen much of '37 lights used.. but have seen guys mount '32 lights off the rear in a few pics.

12. Harvey29

Harvey29
    from kansas

I used 36 taillights on the back of my sedan with model A commercial truck taillight stands

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

13. I'm looking at running 37 Desoto taillights on my 32 roadster, I have a set of Chrysler ones as well, not sure how I will mount them yet, but just love that art deco look.

600.jpg 603.jpg 20140222_113302.jpg 20140222_113315.jpg

Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  14. On my 31 roadster prewar build I followed Bill Farren's direction. I used the 39 lights plus a Model A light in the center. This gives a license plate mount and light. Also gives you three brake lights. There is a real nice photo of this setup on Bill's car dated 1941 in Don Montgomery's book Authentic Hot Rods.

15. I've seen the 37 tail lights mounted on a hiboy roadster in the past..mounted below the trunk. HRP

16. Cully...Those are some great lights...You come up with the best of parts my friend.

17. gwhite, you make an excellent point about the simplicity route of one Model A (or equivalent) light on the old bare bones early '40's style rods. I am going to have to take that into consideration, esp. since I'm on the stock frame and running wire wheels. Your light/tag set-up looks damn good.

18. arodder, can you point me to a pick of your tail light set-up? Much obliged!

19. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Love the Lincoln's, but they are MUCH larger than the '39 and will look out of place on a smaller car IMO.

20. 117harv

117harv

gwhite nailed it, single early light, Ford or one of many other makes that look good.

21. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Those DeSoto lights are just too cool!

22. A Rodder

A Rodder

20140211_160241.jpg

gwhite likes this.
  23. A Rodder

A Rodder

My other pics are to large to upload

24. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

I think one thing most folks miss on the pre-war builds is the "why" something was done the way it was done. Take a look at all the period pictures in this thread. All the tail lights are placed in such a way as to not interfere with fenders, whether they are installed or not.

Remember, just about all these cars were these folks' only cars, and had to be able to be driven every day of the year, and not just on a trip to the lakes. Fender laws were pretty strict up until the "street rod" legislation started getting pushed through in the last few decades. Sure, in Southern California there are more sunny days than rain, but most cars had their fenders removed for summer sun and trips to the lakes, and then put back on for the wet days of winter.

What would I take from this? Pretty much any pre-war taillight could be used on any pre-war-style build. But, to sell it, mount it in such a way as you can still put fenders on, whether you intend to or not.

gwhite likes this.
  25. Thanks to all for their input. I'm wondering if there is a thread that has many pics of single tail light set-ups? I like the idea of keeping the tag holder integral, too. Only need a short extension piece to clear the curve of under trunk pan and get the angle of light and tag looking decent. Bonus is the built in tag light.

26. Looks good Joe! Did you just shorten the stock A tail light stand or what?

27. cully: Are the Desoto the same as the Airflow? Love them no matter what and would use them if I had a set. Tim

28. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

40's era, how about '41-48 chevy.

29. Lowbuckboz

Lowbuckboz

I'm going 46-48 Ford on mine. Just realized "prewar". Sorry fellas.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1405916512.512052.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

30. Tim, I,m no expert on them but Chrysler Airstreams are the same housings so you can interchange the lenses and bezels. The Desoto and Airstreams taillights mounted on there own stand, I'm pretty sure the Airflow housings are different and mount directly on plus have a cut out for lic plate light. I think Dodge housings are the same as well, some housings are stamped Rilite and some Hilight not sure why.
    604.jpg