Register now to get rid of these ads!

HELP door latch removal 52 Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by phat rat, Aug 22, 2013.

1. phat rat

phat rat

I need to get the door latch assembly out on my 52 Ford. I'm stumped because the window channel is in the way. I've taken the bolts off the bottom bracket so I could move it around and still don't have enough clearance. Does anyone know the trick for getting that assembly out?

2. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

3. phat rat

phat rat

4. Are you referring to the keyed lock assembly? HRP

5. phat rat

phat rat

No. The lock would be easy. This is the entire latch assembly with the roller and such. I'm having trouble with the door not opening because the roller doesn't always release. I'd like to get the assembly out so I can look at it. Before someone tells me about the screws and such those are out and the assembly is loose. There's just not enough clearance to get it completely inside the door and drop it down

6. Truth is I took mine out and reinstalled the both but time has passed and I don't really remember what I did but I have a manual and I will check it tonight when I get home and find you a answer.

I do remember it being a PITA and I believe the lever that is behind the outside door button is attached to the latch,,so the exterior handle needs to be removed to take it out. HRP

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  7. This is as it reads,,remove the door panel,remove the access hole cover plate.

Remove the control linkage. remove the door lock cylinder.

Remove the screw from the lower end of the glass run at the lock side,to allow clearance for removing the lock assembly. remove the lock assembly screws.

Move the glass run to the side and lower the lock assembly out of the door.

when reassembling attach the inside locking button control rod to the lock,move the lock assembly into position in the door.

Install the lock retainer screws.

Tighten the three retaining screws at the face of the lock before tightening the one screw at the inner panel.

This will assure proper lock alignment.

install the retainer screw at the lower end of the glass run,install the control rod.

Install the lock cylinder assembly,,cover plate and door panel. HRP

[​IMG]

8. phat rat

phat rat

Thanks for the info. Looks like I need to take the door handle and lock out to get the assembly out. What I think is screwing up is the (cog wheel?) sometimes it rotates ok and others it catches.

9. Make sure you clean everything and use lithium grease. HRP

10. phat rat

phat rat

My intention is to clean and lube everything and repair or replace if necessary

11. phat rat

phat rat

Well I didn't have to take it out. It turned out to be a combination of adjustment problems. Both the push button and striker were wrong

12. stacks1938

stacks1938

This has been a very informative thread to me because I am having a similar problem. Before removing the latch assembly I am going to examine the push button because I installed new exterior handles during my restoration. Thanks for all the information.

13. 55Brodie

55Brodie

The buttons do tend to stick in the reproduction handles. A little file finessing of the handle's opening does the trick.