Register now to get rid of these ads!

53 buick straight 8 saved from the crusher

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Old wolf, Jun 15, 2008.

1. A friend has reciently bought a fancy rollback. Now he is scouring the area hauling stuff to the car crusher to try and pay for it. He came by yesterday and left a bunch of 53 buick trim parts with my wife. I had gone to a auction sale and bought a vintage bellsaw sawmill and two trailer loads of other treasures. He stopped by after dark today to find out if i wanted the buick trim. I then learn that he has the whole car! It is on the rollback headed to the crusher the very first thing in the morning. Here i am short of funds having spent heavily at the auction yesterday. Luckily we were able to make a deal it is now sitting in the drive at my place . It is fairly complete has a complete engine and drivetrain most of the trim. the dash is all there even the horn ring is present.I didnt see the air cleaner. It was dark so i havent been able to examine it thouroughly. I sudder to think how close this gem in the rough came to being crushed. We will take some pictures tomorrow. I think we can get it running . I do plan to sell it if i can find it a good home. Otherwise it can keep my other2 or 3 hundred cars company:D OldWolf

2. Aaron65

Aaron65
    from Michigan

Great job man! I have one and parts don't exactly grow on trees! You'll find someone who needs that stuff. If you want to unload it or parts from it, try buicks.net and buickclub.org if nobody from here needs anything...

3. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

4. Well i have had the old buick for some time. I had the cylinders soaking in a 50/50 mix of trans fluid and diesel it was not stuck. I cleaned the carb and put a battery on and That old straight eight fired right up.Runs smooth dont smoke or have blow by. Started attacking the surface rust got rust converter on the roof and hood and one fender. havent drove it yet (no brakes):DOldWolf

Attached Files:

5. 31whitey

31whitey

I need some wheels

PM me if you have any 53-54s

Whitey

6. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

those straight eights are a smooth running engine i have a 53 263 and they are all iron put an adapter and a th400 transmission on it hope to put it in a project some day lol

7. Hey, I like that car! I remember years back when I was a kid, my friends mom had one of these tanks with the straight 8 engine. It was that medium green color that seems to be peeking through on yours. Little lady she was and could just barely see over the steering wheel but man she could jocky that thing around anywhere! Some cat in Oklahoma City has a similar year Buick in black primer and lowered. Met him in a bar once (VZD's) and asked him about the thing. Late model V-8 and all. I see this car from time to time on the streets and brother it is c o o l !

8. Just thought i would bump this up. There is a HAMB member interested in the buick. my wife liked the car but i got a 56 chev that she decided wasnt as big a job to get in driving shape. I would like to see someone have it that could do someting with it.:cool: Old Wolf

9. I have sold the 53 buick it was parted out and used to fix a 2 dr car.

10. blinddaddykarno

blinddaddykarno

When I was a kid back (way back) in 60's, we had two of these at the same time! One blue, one green, if memory serves me correctly! I recall the green as a lighter, closer to a seafoam, and the blue kind of a sky blue! Dad usually had Caddys, as that's what Mom liked, but if he got a deal, Dad would get nearly any thing. His loyalty was to GM, for the most part. He had siblings out in the west coast, and my brother moved out to Idaho. Being that MN gets cold in the winter, we made lots of trips out west! When my nephew was born in the early 60's, I think it was one of the Buicks we went out there in. I was 5 or 6, so it's a bit fuzzy. I do remember you could have had a polka band in the back seat with me and my sis, huge! We always had two cars at once, so Mom always had one to drive,, and Dad took the other to work. He's where I got my interest in cars from, always did his own maintenance. Dad passed in 94, and when Mom passed away in 98, there was a guy a bit older than me where I was a supervisor that was into cars, one day, knowing I had been down, he told me to go take his car for a ride, you guessed it, a 53 Buick! Took an extended lunch break, picked up my son from my Aunts house, and we went for a ride!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014