Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1946 Fleetline Build... it's looking like a CAR

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kojack, Oct 24, 2008.

1. I posted a thread a few months back when i first picked up my '46 fleetline, and after a few months of school and then fucking around I finally got the passion to get back into it. It's been a long road.. I've had a few cars, but they've all been just fixer uppers and I wanted to really push myself and actually BUILD a car. You don't learn as much as you do from going from bones to trying to get a car back on the road after 50 years.

[​IMG]

It's a 1946 Fleetline two door. It had been sitting for about 20 years and who the hell knows how long before then. Everything was rusty and gross and even found a nice little rat's nest of turds above the sunvisors!

Pretty much everything was ripped completly out, and I spend months just CLEANING. What was nice I had NO rust holes... everything was solid as can be. All the paint was hand stripped off the whole car, so she's only got a thin coat of primer just for now. A little bit of body work, but with some pounding out and a little bit of mud it's almost pretty straight for now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The motor was out of it when I got it, and I wanted to stay away from the 216/235 family. I bought mounts and picked up a 194 for dirty cheap, with the idea of down the line bolting up a bad ass 250 or 292 down the road. I got myself a automatic and with a smile tube transmission mount, I got the motor in. Cleaned up the whole frame, filled holes in the firewall and metalflaked it. '75 Nova rear end.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Running stock brakes for now, but I'm missing a fitting that's pissing me off. Everythings been done low low budget and I'm happy how far I've gotten off cash from side jobs while being stuck with school at the same time.

[​IMG]

Finally starting to look like a car now. I'm SO fucking excited. Wiring is all new front to back, did it myself... nightmare but everything is working. New front seat, flaked the dash, painted it up and popped it in.

Missing a pully for the 194 and a fitting for my original master I bought, but I'm so close. I need the alternator bracket and a radiator for the motor, and rear drums and some fittings for the brakes and I'm almost there.

I'm just amazed I got this far just trying to restore this thing. It's nice getting into something this deep, not only learning way more then I thought I would but man, I've got a lot of respect for car builders to see how much stuff there really is to do everything!

Hope I'll be driving soon!

Last edited: Oct 24, 2008
  2. belair

belair

where did you get those motor mounts? Looks good, I just finished my 48 fleetline with a 250 and th350.

3. NoSurf

NoSurf

Great job! It's lookin' good. Keep it up.

4. No joke? Very cool, same set up as mine. Got any photos?

As for the mounts, got them to my door for about 200 bucks from Chassis Engineering. Worked perfect. I'm not much of a welder so I didn't want to try and have shit fall out. :)

5. your off to a good start !

6. Andrew Williams

Andrew Williams

great job it is loking good, I'm about at the same progress on my 48 ford. I'm trying to do mine low budget too. it will look good when you are finished.

7. Thanks! I'm a little in the middle on the finished look... I'm gonna drop it a couple of inches, but when it comes to customizing I'm not sure. For me it's one of those cars that just looks sick stock. :)

8. custom50

custom50
    from Indiana

Looks good, it's going to be really nice with all of the trim.

9. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

10. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

i am SO glad to see you running a VISOR!!!!

(most HAMBERS wont get that inside joke!)

hehe,,for real though dude,looks pretty damn cool!

i have a 48 fleetline i picked up this summer,wish i was anywhere close to were you are at on yours,looking good!

11. Anderson

Anderson

Hahaha..........I almost said the same thing

That blue looks really good. Gonna paint the whole car that color?

12. poorboy

poorboy

looks good man!

13. FUCK I knew the visor thing was gonna come up. Hey, at least it's on the right car at this point, right? :)

I like the blue metalflake, but I think the body I'm gonna end up shooting a pearl gloss white, and I think it's gonna really pop off with that blue. Always liked big contrasts on colors.

14. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

HELL YEAH! if any car in the world deserves a VISOR a 46-48 chevy fleetline should be number one on the list!

15. Orn

Orn

Looks real good. Btw, I like the visor too ;)

16. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

Hey Kojak, Way cool Fleetline. I love a Fleetline with a visor. My '48 sports a Fulton visor and on the dash I have the matching Fulton Traffic Light Finder. I have a picture on my profile photo album; check it out, see what you think.

Bombs Away!

17. sololobo

sololobo

Lookin xlnt. I love these cars, especially in full orig trim. I'm heavily influenced by my friends from east L.A. that have some of the worlds finest. Thanks to Saxonhous for the superp "War" video with my harmonic hero Lee Oscar blowin the great fills on the song. XtraCool ~Sololobo~

18. when are our cars going get together and make sweet pontiac baby fastbacks?

buick + chevy = olds

insert: hot, drunken photoshop, fasback sex
    [​IMG]
    side saddle action.

there are tiki bars to go to an boulevards to cruise

rotten eggs for life - beeoch

19. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

20. frankenstein1948

frankenstein1948

Love the 46-48 Chevys and they look great with visors!

21. flat top austin

flat top austin

this fucker is rad man i just picked up a 46 myself im super excited about it