Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 5.60x15 tire on a 15x6 rim?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 54LedSled, Jun 29, 2014.

1. 54LedSled

54LedSled

I have some 15x6 chrome steelies that I would like to put some coker 5.60x15 tires on. The website states max width is 5.50 rim width. Has anyone pushed it and ran them on a 15x6 rim? Any pitcures? Pro or cons? I really hate to have to buy new rims and I really like the size of the 5.60 tire.

2. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have run this combo many times over the years, with no problems.

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think that is what I had on my T bucket and the rim stuck out past the sidewall on it.

4. I had the exact same tire on a 6" rim on my '40 Sedan with no problem. HRP

5. 54LedSled

54LedSled

Does any have any pics? So I can get a visual of how much the rim sticks out?

6. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

When I started building my current rpu project I had used up my supply of 46 Merc wheels that are 15 x 5 so I ordered a set of 15 x 6 rims from Coker and mounted my usual 5.60 x 15s on them. They fit, but I didn't like the look, the sidewalls looked bloated instead of straight up and down. Here is what they looked like:

[​IMG]

I finally scored a set of 15 x 5 rims and remounted the tires on those and IMO they look better. But to answer your question, they will fit and inflate.

Here are the same tires on the 5 inch rims, you can sort of see how they are narrower and more angular, the way tires should look.

[​IMG]

Don

7. Back in the sixties, I ran 5.60x15s on 5-1/2" rims and the rim lip stuck out wider than the bulge in the tire. ...easy to scratch a rim. Now on the same Model A, I am running 5.90x15s on 5" rims. If I go down to 5.60s I would use a 4.5" rim for the best look. JMO

8. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The tire manufacturer and distributor and dealer all have plainly stated what rim width range
    Is suitable for a given tire size in order for that tire to perform as intended.

This forum is well supplied with threads/posts that routinely tout totally ignoring such recommendations and claiming "I've done that for years with no problems at all".

Well, maybe so, but that doesn't mean you weren't on the ragged edge of malfunction or minimal performance. One other important consideration is the tire's load rating. A 5.60x15 was standard on VW Betles for years. A barely 2000 pound vehicle. What is the weight of the car you are proposing to use these on?

I always thought the object in "building" cars is to improve their performance, not degrade it.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
  9. 54LedSled

54LedSled

Thanks for ingo on the 5.60x15 tire, probabley won't go that route. However, what about the alternative 165R15 tire? Anyone running them on a 15x6 rim? Any pics? I want to put them on my 1954 Chevy. Deal is I am currently running a G78x15 coker tire on a 15x6 Wheels Vintques Chrome Steelie. I love my rim and don't want to buy new ones, I would just like a small tire as I am in the process of bagging the car and would like the lower tire profile.

10. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I think the 5.60 is to small for your Chevy to look good.. 6.70 Stones all around gets my vote, bagged or just slammed...

11. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The 165x15 is about the equivalent of a 5.90x15....just a radial. Load ratings still a concern.
    You can go to low profile tires, 205/60 series for example, and get a more suitable tire without the height becoming an issue.