Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Synthetic Oil

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by marodder62, Jul 1, 2014.

1. marodder62

marodder62

Is synthetic oil ok for an older engine? If so what are some recommendations?

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I've never used it. Ever.

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. George

George

Some synthetic comes in SH, won't need ZDDP added. Will if it's SM or SN, just like regular oil

5. squirrel

squirrel

It's ok if you like paying extra for something you really don't need. I guess some guys enjoy that. I prefer spending money on more parts. Or maybe gas, so I can drive more.

I use synthetic in some of my wife's late models, and don't change it very often. But they don't burn oil, like all my good old cars do.

6. 57countrysedan

57countrysedan
    from NY

You can use synthetic. Synthetic oil is designed to not lose its additives as fast and handle heat and stress better than conventional oil. I switched over to royal purple that has zinc in it and noticed higher oil pressure while drivin the car hot. Im sold

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. I'm no expert on the subject, but I did stay at a Holiday inn Express last night. :rolleyes: My two cents.....I've been using Mobil one in my 1970 vintage engine for the last 30 years. My motor was already "broken in" when I started using it. I pulled the motor out a couple years ago to clean it up and fix some oil leaks etc. The inside of the motor was very clean. I had the heads gone through but the rest of the motor was good to go, and that's with over 100,000 miles on it.

8. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Synthetics in all of the new stuff and in the older cars when they get an engine overhaul after breakin. The '38 is on a straight 30W diet for now but will get the synthetic after it's new 301 is on board.

Frank

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. elba

elba

Any oil will get dirt in it. Dirt is an abrasive. The dirt comes from combustion. I use regular oil and change it at 3000 mile intervals and my engine is always clean, never had a problem.
    It is ok for and older engine but it is still going to get dirt in it.
    Just my opinion !

10. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had a case of Mobil-1 15/50 left over from my racing days, so I decided to try it in my stock '51 Ford. It works very well and doesn't leak any worse than conventional oil. BTW, any oil with a 50 weight component ha sextra ZDDP.

11. I'm totally sold on synthetic oil and use it in all my cars. It extends the oil changes up to 5000 miles (my newer cars tell ME when to change the oil..) so that's a big benefit right there.

12. Diavolo

Diavolo

My thoughts. Oil is oil and does the same job except.

1. Syn flows better in extreme cold because
    2. It is made of smaller hydrocarbon chains so it will
    3. Leak out of tiny holes dino oil won't but it
    4. Handles shear forces better and for longer periods of time so
    5. It will last longer than dino oil under the same conditions.

That is all.

13. Gman0046

Gman0046

The military and commercial airlines have been using synthetic oil in jet engines for over sixty years. There must be a reason they use it.

14. Marv64

Marv64

Synthetic oil is made a big difference in my newer car. It went from 22 miles per gallon to 26, and when i change it 7,000 miles later it is just as slippery and has as much body as when i put it in. I think it is a great improvement for oil. I use Castor Oil Syntec.

15. stimpy

stimpy

check the API Rating on it if its Cj /SJ and lower its ok , CI /SI and higher add zddp . I use synthetic in my DD's and have used it in my race car and have seen differences , with a car that doesn't use a filter like some of our classics I would be weary as it does capture and hold carbon in suspension for the filter to take out as were the dino oil would let it drop out to the bottom of the pan to be removed during the oil change . the other nice thing about synthethics is they do not form acids like dino oil does as from the natural sulfurs

16. BillWallace

BillWallace

Oil in jet engines is for cooling not much for lubricating. When the jet engines were first introduced they used a 10 wt petroleum oil. The current oils are acid based & are cooled by fuel in a heat exchanger.