Register now to get rid of these ads!

6 volt siren

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1030, Jun 29, 2014.

1. 1030

from so cal

Can someone walk me through wiring a 6 volt siren on my 1950 styline? Parts list? The car is 6 volt too.
    Thnx in advance...

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. I don't know about California but they are not legal in South Carolina.HRP

3. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

Not legal in Ca. either, just make sure it is not wired up when you get stopped. Some sirens require a lot of juice so you might need a relay.

4. It is powered by what is simply a starter motor use a good relay or starter solenoid . Use a starter button to activate it. I had one in my car took it out before I got in trouble with it .

5. 1030

from so cal

Bump

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. Bolt the siren down to the frame, or other such sturdy component. Run a 4ga (or larger) cable to the post on the siren. The other end to a starter solenoid (large terminal). Run another 4ga cable from the other large terminal on the solenoid to the battery (the not-earth side). From the small terminal (labeled 'S') run a 10 gauge lead to a momentary contact switch (think horn button). From the other side of that switch, run a 10 gauge lead to the battery. Now you're up and running. This extremely simple guide does not have circuit protection (a must, actually), but will work. If this confuses you, please, please, PLEASE go to the library and get a book on wiring and read it cover to cover.

Cosmo

7. 53choptop

53choptop

I concur with everything cosmo posted, the majority of our cars in our car club, Viejitos, run these all the time.I have a B&M SiroDrift in my '53 and have it hooked up like that, these sirens will pull so much juice that if its not connected, or grounded correctly it will stall your engine. Another tip, keep it away from your distributor, and check the connections once in a while, the motors in these sirens are like starter motors (if not stronger) so imagine driving your car and "restarting" it when you turn the siren on.

8. Just FWIW, Ambulance used to be wired with a switch that would switch the signal from the horn button to either the horn, or the siren.

Should have seen the look on the driver's face the day I forgot which way it was switched...

Cosmo