Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Frame ID help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by david_s914, Jun 16, 2014.

1. david_s914

david_s914

I am slowly in the process of getting back to work on my Whippet sedan now that things in life are finally looking a little better. I have kinda been putting off a frame build in hopes of finding a Whippet frame somewhere to use as a starting point. My kiddo and I went on a short road trip the other day and stumbled across this frame about 45 miles from my home. We stopped and talked to the guy, and it can be picked up cheap in my opinion, and he swears that it is a 1936 Whippet. That cant be because in 1931, Whippet became part of Willys if I remember correctly. He does have one 6 sided hub cap off of the front axle that was not stolenthat does have "Whippet" stamped into it. Any idea what this might be for sure, and if it might work under a 1929 Whippet 4dr sedan ?? Any help is appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I am no authority on Whippet chassis, so I don't know if that is a Whippet or not...but I do feel fairly confident to say, whatever the make, it is more than likely a 1926 era than a 1936 era. getting one's decades confused seem to come with the passage of time.....

3. I believe I saw a WHIPPET frame listed on ebay the other day. Search for 1927 I think that's what it was. If nothing else you can compare the pic's to that one you found. By the way the Whippet was a product of WILLYS-OVERLAND not a separate company and was the car that was replaced by the 1933 WILLYS model 77

4. david_s914

david_s914

I kind of figured that with it having wooden wheels, then it could possibly be early 30's at the latest, but certainly not 36. I will look on Ebay and see what I can dig up. I knew that there was a tie with Willys-Overland, but couldn't remember for sure what that tie was. Thanks for the info so far !!

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Scroll down to the 4th photo http://www.garysmaintenance.com/projects/whippet.htm That looks pretty close to what you showed, I think the guy who has the one you are looking at is just off ten years. You can save that photo and expand it a bit but it gets pretty fuzzy if you try to make it full screen.

6. david_s914

david_s914

Wow Mr48chev ..... That really does look close. I think that Im going to just run with the idea that he is off 10 years and it will work. Surely there cant be that much difference between the years, and it will be something good to at least start with if it will fit !!! Thanks again

7. weps

weps
    from auburn,IN

the dual rear springs are unusual...
    wood wheels stopped being used in about 1934

8. oldolds

oldolds

I imagine you are making a hot rod. In that case I would call it close enough and go for it.

9. 33sporttruck

33sporttruck

[​IMG]
    Found this on the Inter-web. It is listed as a 26-28 Whippet Frame. To verify,do a Google Search for a 26 Whippet Frame. I think that the seller is off by 10 years. The spring pack on the rear of the frame that you posted appears to be an early version of an add-on helper spring setup. If the frame served time as a Hay Wagon the extra springs were added to carry more weight. This frame looks similar to the frame that you have posted. Good Luck, Jeff

10. david_s914

david_s914

Thanks for all of the replies !! I bought it. I figured that since he didnt want but 100 bucks for it, then I could either make it work or find some one that can use it !! Thanks again !!