Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1929 Model A Two Door Conversion

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by JTRodder, Jun 26, 2014.

1. I'll start off by giving a little background on myself. My earliest memories were sitting in the garage with my dad, and just about every memory after that. I have been around, and worked on cars my whole life, my dad and I had talked about building a hotrod for a long time when the big "ratrod" craze hit (please forgive me for the use of the word). So about two years ago my dad bought a handmade 29' Chevy truck cab and bed and we went to work. Long story short I fell in love and over this year's winter I set to work on my own. But the price of the four doors was so much more appealing than the big $$ that would have been paid for a two door, especially for an 18-year-old working part time. So I decided to make a two door.
    DSCN1121.JPG
    So here is what I started with, very solid, and really no pitting in the metal. So I took it down to the concrete out side of the basement which was the most level and flat place at the house, so that I could brace the body and have a base stable enough to move the body around when my parents needed it out of the way.
    DSCN1123.JPG DSCN1124.JPG
    Here I just used 1x1 and welded it to the most solid points I could find, I'm sure there are much better ways to do this but I had a slim budget and this is what I managed to come up with.
    DSCN1137.JPG IMG_2077.jpg 10.jpeg
    The red marked sections are what was cut out of the body, I had to obviously remove the rear hinges and I don't remember exactly but probably around 5" out of the length of the door. after removing the length out of the door I welded it back together, BUT you will need to save what you cut out for later.
    DSCN1138.JPG DSCN1139.JPG
    So here you can see the length of the door has been cut out and the door has been welded back together. I tacked it back in where it was going to be and you can probably start to see where I am going to use the section that I cut out of the door.
    DSCN1140.JPG
    Here you can see where the hole was filled where the hinges used to be. The section that I cut out of the door was really handy here because it already had the body lines in it. At this point the hard part is over and all that was left to do is bring the gap in between the front door and where the door jamb would now be, you can see that in the photo above.
    DSCN1137.JPG
    I didn't take any pictures of this but I measured how much I needed to shorten the "roof"
    (really just two rails of sheet metal) to take the gap away in-between the door and body. There was a lot of lead that was used to seam the different pieces together from the factory and I cut that out the best I could for strength and weight. The discolored part of the roof is the lead, and that is what I removed.
    DSCN1203.JPG DSCN1199.JPG
    And here is the finished product, with a 5" chop.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
    Tim, BradinNC, mgtstumpy and 8 others like this.
  2. iceokie

iceokie

I like it. Keep posting as you go.

JTRodder likes this.
  3. bonzo-1

bonzo-1

Nice! Great job.

JTRodder likes this.
  4. Actually it looks pretty good although the side window area is a bit long.

Just a observation,cut some cardboard and put it in the side windows to get a idea of how it would looks as a sedan delivery. HRP

[​IMG]

kiwijeff, sloppy jalopies and fine29 like this.

5. dad-bud

dad-bud

JT, excellent introduction. (you should go to the intros page and do a proper one as well though). Welcome aboard.
    I see you're from the 'Take a huge bite and just chew like hell' school. Carving a 4-door apart and turning it into a tudor (or maybe a sedan delivery, as HRP suggested) is a big step, but it looks like you're well into it.
    Good luck and I hope you are happy with the results.
    Cheers.

JTRodder likes this.
  6. flathead okie

flathead okie

Looks good.:cool:..if it was mine it'd be a sedan del.,;) but it ain't mine:rolleyes: Have fun

JTRodder likes this.
  7. Yeah I had noticed that it was a little long but if I would have taken much more out of the door I would have gotten into the radius of the wheel well, so maybe the extra length will be a conversation starter at shows about the history behind the car. I would really like to stick with the tudor style though.

Riekus Thomsen likes this.
  8. gordspeed

gordspeed
    from Oregon

Nice job! Way to just dive-in the deep end of the pool! Keep us in the Pictures as you go!!! :)

JTRodder likes this.
  9. it looks neat but what is it about 5 inches shorter than a regular tudor?

10. 46Chief

46Chief

I like it! If you raised the rear wheel wells up a few inches, channeled it over the frame and ran tall pie crust slicks it would be a winner.

JTRodder likes this.
  11. daddylama

daddylama

looks great! hell of a project!
    I like the longer window, myself...

JTRodder likes this.
  12. daddylama

daddylama

BTW, you may already know this but that's a Briggs body ('28 through '31 were damn similar for the fordor and town sedans bodies built by Briggs)

13. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

If you stretched the front door out to the length of a 2door you'd have it. Though I dont dislike the look it has now. And I'll thow another vote in the sedan delivery pot.

14. opunui

opunui
    from Honolulu

Good job..your car do what you like.I like your motivation.

Piedmont and JTRodder like this.
  15. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

This is similar to a '32 4dr project I've had on the back burner for awhile. My goal was to mate the front of a front door grafted to the rear portion of a rear door and shorten the body so the rear fender well would fit to the rear of the new door. then chop the top so it would look proportional. Visualize a Bantum coupe to get the feel of where I was going.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  16. The37Kid

The37Kid

Great project! Not too many 18 year olds taking on projects like this, look forward to more progress photos. Welcome to the HAMB! Bob

JTRodder likes this.
  17. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

18. jugheadjones

jugheadjones

19. FlynBrian

FlynBrian

Good job!I like it, it has lots of potential.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

JTRodder likes this.
  20. bartmcneill

bartmcneill
    from Ada, OK

You will have some heads scratching for sure. I like it.

JTRodder likes this.
  21. That's what I plan to do, channel it 3 inches, over a 2x3 steel frame that I plan to start on in the next week or two. 16" wires with the traditional pie crust cheaters on the rear and I have been thinking about running like 19" wires up front. I haven't really seen anyone run larger wheels up front, I think it might look cool. Also I can get the tires to be the same overall diameter so it would not look disproportional.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
    46Chief likes this.
  22. Maybe consider dark glass in the expansive side windows if you prefer to keep the tudor look? HRP

23. I like the whole idea. 4drs are a hard find and at first i thought leave it a 4 door. But i like where your going.

24. LOOKS LIKE YOUR DOING A GREAT JOB MAKING IT YOURS. KEEP IT UP.

25. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

I *LIKE* the proportions you have, and the LOOOOOOOOONG windows. I think it give it this "pancaked" look and adds character. I like it that you're figuring things out like not cutting into the wheel well, etc. The proportions make it nice and different. I dealt with the same things with my coupester. Some guy started turning it into one decades before I came along. 28/29 coupester proportions look kinda wack unless you mod the body. Since I didn't want to do a complete roadster conversion (in which case I'd just buy a Brookville, real Henry steel roadsters are TOO MUCH) I decided I'd try and do what proportion changes the car needed to make it look its best. This meant cutting 4.5" out of the door/body length with lengthened the hood. Made it easy to drop in the v8 and not do a recess in the firewall. A friend fabricated a decorative bead line around the back of the cab area to look similar to roadsters...and I dig it. It has a late 20s British roadster feel...shorter cab, longer hood. Stick to your guns man, I think it's looking RAD!

JTRodder likes this.
  26. daddylama

daddylama

I like the long window quite a bit, too...

though if it were mine, I'd think about a delivery rear door... maybe a wagon door...

27. catfishdog

catfishdog
    from Miami

Nice job man, I dig it

28. Wow, I really like your project. Great job!!!!

JTRodder likes this.
  29. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

I like the longer rear Windows. Once the car is painted I think it will look a little less off. Good luck.

JTRodder likes this.
  30. Markmonty

Markmonty
    from Gerorgia

I am following this on the iPod app and the only photo I can see is from the back. Is it this way for everyone? I am very interested to see this one !