Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 61 Falcon Automatic Transmission help needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Krazzy Buick, Jun 20, 2014.

1. Krazzy Buick

Krazzy Buick
    from Arizona

I just picked up a 61 Falcon and I put a 170 in-line six in it that I had laying around.

The car came with a two speed auto transmission that seems to work fine except the first time you drive it, when it goes to shift into second it feels like it slips for a bit then shifts. Once it makes that initial shift it will shift fine for the rest of the day until I park it for a couple hours then it dose it again.

The car runs and drives awesome except this little issue, does anyone have any ideas as to why it’s doing this and how to remedy it.

Thanks.

2. Have you changed the fluid?? Type F is still available at Advance and Napa (at least).
    Have you adjusted the linkage to factory specs?? This is critical for transmission life.
    Check also the motor mounts. Early '61 mounts let the engine drop when they fail, altering the throttle/trans rod relationship. Not for the better.

Do the above, and it should perk right up.

Cosmo

P.S. It does help if you give it a bit more stick upon initial takeoff, to keep it in Low for a bit longer.

P.P.S. I've driven a '61 daily for the last three years...

3. Krazzy Buick

Krazzy Buick
    from Arizona

I've tried keeping it in first to run the RPM's up a bit before shifting it into second but that didn't seem to
    help much.
    I will double check the linkage.
    Thanks.

4. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

I had a '63 Meteor 2 dr post, red with black roof, red interior back around 1988 or so with a 221 V8 2 spd auto that wouldn't shift out of 1st until it was driven for at least a mile, sometimes more. After it made that first shift it would shift perfectly the rest of the day, next day, same story.

Changed the fluid and if I remember right, cleaned the filter as I think it was a steel filter, haven't been inside one of these in years, didn't help. Had an old Ford mechanic adjust the linkages and change the valve body, let him keep the car and mess with it for a month, no change.

I finally bought a '62 parts car that had been sitting for at least ten years, swapped the trans, no more problems. I have no idea what was wrong with my original or yours. Your question just brought back memories of my '63 and I'm still pissed at myself for selling it.

Good luck.

5. bobjob55

bobjob55

Can't remember ,,, that's a C-4 trans ....... I THINK ..... sounds like it is gunked up,,, bands and filter .... check some of the fluid additive ,, May work ....

Sent from my KFSOWI using H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

My guess would be that the rubber seais have harden and soften up when it worms up.

7. By "linkage", I mean the rods that transmit throttle position to the trans, not the linkage from the column that simply puts the trans into whatever range you require. You problem is classic maladjustment, though if left for long, it becomes classic rebuild time.

Cosmo

P.S. The C4 was introduced in 1964, and is a three speed. This trans is definitely not a C4.

8. bobjob55

bobjob55

Well ,, I'm a chevy man myself ... powerglide was chevy ,,, what did they call the Ford 2 speed ?? ..

9. Was the Ford-O-Matic/Merc-O-Matic the two speed auto?

Don't recall if these trans were extra fussy about checking the fluid level hot or cold, in park or in neutral, etc. Low fluid seems to expand just enough when hot to cause issues like this sometimes. Or maybe a little heat frees up something sticky in the valve body.

10. The Falcon/Comet Ford-O-Matic was two speed, but earlier cars had three-speed transmissions called Ford-O-Matic as well. The Falcon unit lasted only until 1964. It did come behind the 221 and 260 V8s, as well as the 144 and 170 Six.

Cosmo

11. Krazzy Buick

Krazzy Buick
    from Arizona

I think you might be on to something Cosmo.

After closer examination and some looking around on the net I found a diagram of what I believe I should have for linkage connecting the throttle to the trans.

But when I look at what I have in my car the rod that goes from the gas pedal inside the car, runs along the firewall to the passenger side of the car and is hooked directly to the carburetor.
    No other linkage is hooked up.

I do have all the other linkage on the back of the transmission but it isn’t hooked to anything nor is there anywhere for it to hook to.

Apparently I need to either tie the two linkages together on the carburetor side or change out the linkage rod on the firewall to the shorter one in the diagram.

Would you agree?

I’ve tried to insert pictures to show what I’m talking about but I’m not sure if you’ll be able to see them.
    Please let me know.

Thanks

Attached Files:

12. With NO linkage to the trans, two things happen, one immediate, the other takes a bit of time.

1) the trans shifts very early and slips.

2) the trans requires rebuilding, from slipping too much.

Cosmo

13. Here are two pics showing a correctly installed linkage. Dirty, true, but I DRIVE my cars...

The first, showing the linkage as seen from the front, shows the throttle position arm (vertical, in the middle) headed down to the trans. The second shows that same arm, as it attaches to the arm on the trans. Said arm is horizontal and pulls up as car accelerates.

Attached Files:

14. the C-4 was started in 64 thus the name!

15. sunbeam

sunbeam

There are 2 types of 2 speed fordomatics the early one used a manual throttle valve it is vertical on the left side of the transmission. In late 61 & 62-63 they used a vacuum unit.