Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects A'36 rear end in an Av8

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Groovybaby6, Jun 21, 2014.

1. Groovybaby6

Groovybaby6
    from Denver

I came across a great deal on all the running gear from a an old hot rod and since I have a model A frame I decided to build another Av8.

The banjo rear is a '36 and as you might know, the rear radius rods also act as the rear spring perches. I wanted to take out the Model A cross member and use a flat crossmember, elongate the frame for the correct wheelbase and bolt the spring to the new crossmember.
    Those '36 rods also are too long for a Model A chassis so this is the simplest way I came up with to get it to work.
    If I cut the '36 rods off where they bend towards the torque tube leaving the part that bolts onto the rear end and spring hanger and I use a set of '48 Ford rear radius rods that bolt onto the backing plates, it should work.

I know I could just weld on some Model A spring perches to the '36 rear end and use a Model A spring over the axle but it would ride better and be lower if I use the '36 spring which is behind the axle.

The bad side to this is ruining a nice set of '36 radius rods!!

Has anyone done this is setup on an Av8 before using a '36 rear end? How did you do it? Pictures?

Attached Files:

2. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

I've shortened my 36 radius rods and and bent them in slightly by pie cutting them, just ahead of the forged pieces, where the oval tubing starts. Works great. Hope that makes sense.

3. Groovybaby6

Groovybaby6
    from Denver

Hey Chris, It's Ed Gallagher, how you doing??
    Did you also use the '36 rear spring with a flat crossmember?

4. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

Hey Ed, I used a model a spring, works great with a 36 rear.

5. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

You are going to have to shorten the torque tube. Drive shaft and radius rods. I've done several of these , it will work and look great. After you shorten the torque tube cut the end of the front of the radius rod off and heat upon the rear just past the forged ends, then bund the rods back in towards the front mount , cut to new length and weld the ends back on so you can bolt it to the torque tube. It's a lot if work and thinking but it will look period correct and that's the way they used to build hot rods. . All these people that can't deal with a torque tube are just looking for the easy way out.

Lil'Alb, 46Chief and Chris Casny like this.
  6. sdroadster

sdroadster

I lengthened my frame, and used a 38 rear end with a model a spring. Now I'm stressing about the lack of clearance between the rear end and the frame. I have hesitated to C notch the frame because it tends to be smallish back there, and I am concerned about the loss of strength. What are you going to do?

7. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

Like this.

Attached Files:

Lil'Alb likes this.
  8. Boomchain

Boomchain
    from Canada