Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Master Cylinder has me stumped

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by S2X01, Jun 20, 2014.

1. S2X01

S2X01

So I'm trying to get my 54 Dodge Royal rolling.
    After completely rebuilding the master and bench bleeding it, I got it installed and began to bleed my brakes. The power bleeder wasn't working so well, so a friend and I resorted to the two man method. Once we started doing that, we noticed that the piston wasn't returning as fast as it should.
    So the other day I drained everything back down so I could pull it out again. Just for fun, I pumped the brakes dry to see what would happen. Works awesome.

Pulled it anyways and put it in the vise on the bench last night.
    Now...I'm no brake guy, But I tried a few things that made sense to try and "test" it.
    With my hand covering the fill hole, it creates quite a bit of suction and hold a vacuum. I put fluid in it on the bench, and it pumped fine. Once I put pressure/restriction on the outlet, the piston slowed down once again. After that, even without any restriction on the outlet, the piston still moved extremely slow. Drained the fluid, and it works fine again.

Now it's completely torn apart again, and I'm stuck scratching my head.
    Thoughts?

2. squirrel

squirrel

master.jpg maybe there's a little tiny hole between the reservoir and the bore, that is blocked. Try cleaning it more?

3. S2X01

S2X01

Thanks Jim,
    I'll clean the ever-livin' crap out of it again!
    That diagram is definitely helpful!

4. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Clean the cap's vent hole too.

5. oldsman41

oldsman41

when you have it back on the car fill it up bleed the brakes from the farthest point to nearest. right rear first than left than right front than left. after that take the cap back off and have your friend take up the play in the pedal push down easy you should see movement of the fluid by a half inch in if not the push rod is out of adjustment.

6. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Did you have the pedal return spring hooked up?

7. stimpy

stimpy

check the ports in the metal piston behind the cup to make sure they are clean as if they are blocked the return will be slow as it form a vacuum in the front portion of cylinder those ports allow a quick release .

8. S2X01

S2X01

Well, I took everything back apart again. The bypass hole was plugged so I cleaned that out. Did a thorough cleaning again and everything seems to be working. It's back on the frame right now. Gonna try bleeding it out today and see what happens.....