Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage GoodGuys. Des Moines

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 396/425, Jun 11, 2014.

1. 396/425

396/425

Has anybody here been to the big goodguys thing in des monies? We are planning on going for the first time to a goodguys deal. Is it worth it? Is the swap meet decent? I'm not expecting "Carlisle". But more than a few swap booths. Etc. thanks y'all

2. GTS225

GTS225

Swap meet area isn't all that good, as there just doesn't seem to be vary many vendors that show up. Maybe it's just that the main venue of a car show has priority. There's a good variety of cars, both HAMB friendly and not.

3. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

The DesMoines Goodguys is one of the best car shows in the country at the Iowa State Fairgrounds.
    Big large trees for shade and wide main street for cruising. Should have over 4,000 cars +
    A big air conditioned commercial vendors building.
    They have auto crossing which is fun to watch or participate in.
    Being the 4th of July weekend they will have Fireworks either Friday or Saturday night this year.
    They have a sky rider you can ride that goes over part of the fairgrounds so you can see some of the show from above.
    Lots of cars and a great time.
    A HAMB meet and greet normally takes place Saturday at 1:00PM on the porch of the Admin building.

The outside used parts swap meet usually has about maybe 30-40 vendors and about the same for cars for sale.
    So, no it is not a big swap meet but the car show is really good as there is about the right amount of cars to get around all weekend and see.
    The fairgrounds are one of the best in the country for a car show which if you ask any guy on here who's been to the show will agree.
    Great food !

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  4. 39-2dr

39-2dr
    from MISSOURI

It may be one of the better Goodguys show. The fairgrounds help make the show. The city is friendly. And the event falls on or near the 4th of July weekend. It's usually pretty hot; but I lucked out and experienced 80's the year I went. It is worth going to.

5. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

These guys are right! I've been to Midwest and Westcoast shows, and I love the Des Moines show for its venue, the quality of cars, and the killer lemonade! If it just wasn't so damn humid!!! Either way, definitely worth going:)

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

you want to get there early to get a shady spot otherwise it gets awful damn hot on the concrete. It opens about 700 if I remember right. I've been every year for the last 10 yrs.

7. LuckyFordGuy

LuckyFordGuy

Love to go never been their from MN not to far away just like to drive down woith somebody anybody from central Mn going pm me if so like to drive down Rog Clara city MN

8. thedreamer

thedreamer

This will be the first year in a while that I will miss it. I will be in Texas that weekend. The show is great though and like was mentioned above, if you like shade get there early. I always park between the Bill Riley Talent Stage and Diamond Jacks. There are large trees between them. My avatar is a picture I took last year looking back towards the grandstand.

9. It's one of the better GG events. I prefer it over the racetrack events like in Texas because the Iowa fairgrounds has lots of shade and a cruising loop. The track events are all sun with the noise of Nascar ride-a-longs all day. I recommend GG Des Moines to anyone

10. 396/425

396/425

Ok thanks to all who chimed in. We're towing about 7 hrs. Plus I paid my money already anyway. So....sounds like....shade. And food. That'll work. I'm new to HAMB but if y'all are meeting up somewhere, let me know. We'll be in a 65 corvette coupe. White. In case I'm actually noticed amongst 3000 cars. Mines bone stock, but I don't care. I like hot rods too.

11. fine29

fine29
    from Des Moines

I plan in being there. Good show.. When people say get there early they really mean early haha some people start lining up at like 4a.m. Crazy..

12. fatkoop

fatkoop

Been there from Denver 3 or 4 times. One of the best fairgrounds and show ever. VERY hot and humid, especially for a high-altitude boy. Last time I was there they had sprint car races on Saturday night. Very high quality cars there too. Good times.

13. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Best location for a GG show I have been to.

14. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

15. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

My wife and I went in 2005. We spent the week prior seeing the covered bridges, state capitol, museums, etc. We camped right on the grounds and really had a good week of it. There was dirt track racing on Friday night. It's a really good venue. Very historic fair grounds with lots of shade. I believe the Pat Boone movie "State Fair" was filmed there. It's hot sometimes but a really good event.

16. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

17. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

18. Really? Read my post again. I was making a comparison.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

19. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

20. thedreamer

thedreamer

You can also bring in your own food and drinks. We always bring a portable camping style grill and cook out behind our cars.

21. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

I plan on going in my 40 Ford 2dr sedan, black w/flames, unfinished red/wht tuck & roll interior. it should be driveable by then. my avatar is the pinup on the decklid. if I'm not done, I'll be in my buddys black 55 chev. also in our group is a beige 37 Packard roadster with a Cad 500, and a bright yellow 31 Chevy coupe. we usually try to park behind the pavilion near the outdoor stage. another tip: if you can go Thursday, it saves a lot of time at registration even if you are pre-registered. we always leave early sunday am or whenever we get up. had some good times at "Beach Girls" topless club, but its way out in the sticks and we always take a cab.

22. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

I guess my 40 wont make it. got the wrong windshield, take another 1-2 weeks for the correct one to get in.

23. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

24. sodly

sodly
    from middle

Any discounts available for this show besides the $17 advance tix?

25. Crazy Legs

Crazy Legs

Can't wait! -- I'm not sure of any discounts this year but they ought to have something since they raised the price of spectators now to $20 ...........wow!

Is there a HAMB meet n greet? If so, where & when? thanks!

26. I have only missed one time going there since they started. I have been to almost all GG events all over the country and Des Moines is the best by far. Shade, good food, races on Friday evening and fireworks on Saturday. Get there early. Seriously, guys start lining up at 4 AM. They are nuts. I'll be there in the 54.
    Later,
    Dick

27. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This show is a must attend. The venue is one of the best only rivaled by BTT50's. If you go for the swap meet you will leave disappointed. If you go for the food, atmosphere, people, quality of cars, or anything else, you'll be grinnin' from ear to ear all weekend long. See ya there!

28. mlewis114

mlewis114
    from Omaha, Ne

Yes. Looking forward to it! Weather, dare I say it looks in the 70's and 80's. Will be the first long trip for the convertible!! ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1404183211.296046.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1404183229.196948.jpg

29. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

Post some photos. First time since 2008 I'm not going to make it.

30. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Crazylegs, IF you plan on attending more than one day, then register your 'car' for the weekend whether you drive it in or not...it's always cheaper that way...you can walk in thru the gate that allows participants into the area... you can come and go as you please that way...!!!

R-