Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical need a new lens for this universal signal switch

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by evobuilder, Jun 18, 2014.

1. evobuilder

evobuilder

so I have one of these universal turn signal indicators in my coupe and want to ditch the green lens and replace with ANYTHING other than green.... anyone know where I can get a different lens?

ig.jpg

2. lowkroozer

lowkroozer

Try going to a commercial truck dealer .That looks like a turn signal switch out of a semi. A truck stop might even have one or a bone yard with a wrecked delivery truck in it

3. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Vintage switches like that, guide signal stat for example, are for sale on fleabay and the classifieds here all the time. They were built when things were built to last. Lots of them look really cool and the schematics for a lot of them are online.

I stopped ordering most catalog stuff 4-5 years ago because 9 times out of 10 there was something I just wasn't happy with.

I assume you're talking about replacing the green bulb at the end of the stalk? You may get lucky and find something with the same thread and diameter in a different color but like was said already, you'll just have to search.

Here's one on the fleabay right now. $20 buy it now, just like the one you bought. IMO, looks better too. Fix a few wires and you have a nice switch.

image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  4. Poly carbonates are EASILY dyed, and only take 5-10 minutes.

The difference is, polycarbonate and HARD plastic dying requires a nice big pot on your stove, that you don't mind staining on the inside some metal skewers or something to tie the parts to for hanging in there, and a sink by the stove to RUN cold water on the dyed parts.

Reason being, in order for the hard plastics/polycarb to properly accept dye, the pores in the material need to expand, which will absorb the dye, and then QUICKLY contract, trapping same dye.

-- fill your big ol' pot up 3/4 full with water.
    -- throw it up on the stove, on high, with a lid on
    -- once the water starts boiling, add your liquid RIT dye (I recommend at LEAST two bottles, three if you'd like your dye job to go quicker, and be more vibrant)
    -- after the dye-water boils for a few seconds (oooh, auto-stirrer!), turn the heat down to medium-high, to a point where the water STOPS boiling, but is still steaming heavily.
    -- tie your parts (wire, string, yarn, whatever) to the long metal skewers. Attempt to gauge your hanger length to keep parts away from sides and bottom of pot (hence, big pot for hopper shells)
    -- slowly submerge parts in the steaming hot dye water. you may wanna keep a pokey stick of some something handy to push things down in there.
    -- check on em every 3-4 minutes. lift out by the skewer, and inspect.
    -- when the parts appear to be SLIGHTLY DARKER than how you want them... immediately transfer the entire skewer of parts to the sink, under the running icy cold water faucet you already turned on. Careful, don't drip on the counter! Put a towel down, you slob! During the rinsing process, excess dye will rinse off, making the finish slightly lighter than in first appeared.
    -- here's the best part. feel free to cold rinse early if you're worried. The worst thing that can happen that way is they're not dark enough... in which case? THROW EM BACK IN!! Not gonna hurt anything. [​IMG]

I personally have never done this but found it on a gun site. HRP

daddylama likes this.

5. 5window

5window

Here's another take on dyeing. I'd think either the piece would not take dye (are there "pores" in plastic?) or the color would be muddy. Why don't you get a piece of something the right color and make one?

6. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The switch you have illustrated is a modern "reproduction" of the early bolt/clamp-on signal switch. These have been around for some years now with up and down issues of quality and longevity.
    I'm interested to see the posts above about dyeing the plastic which would really save so many rodders the pain of seeing that funky green knob lens on their otherwise nice cars.

7. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Get a friend with a lathe to turn one up out of colored plastic.

Ago

8. evobuilder

evobuilder

I have a lathe.... what I don't have is a block of colored plastic, but I am onto something!
    I am going to make MILLIONS turning custom colored replacement "ends" for these signals :) I am gonna be the next "So Cal Speed Shop"
    I'M GONNA BE RICH!!!!!
    Look for me at SEMA with the big booth, big cars and hot chicks!

9. I cut it off and put a chrome knob on the end, then it wouldn't look so much like a modern repop, that are on so any cars now days. If it is the indicator, rewire it and put the indicator elsewhere. Just my opinion on those switches.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I use that type on 40 fords and hollow out the end of a 40 dash knob(maroon for dlx and tan for std) so it fits over the end of the green lense then drill a small hole in the end so only a green dot shows and paint the portion behind the knob--just finished and installed one today-looks like it belongs there.

11. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

here's a pic I think if I did it right

Attached Files: