Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods can an electric fuel pump before manual cause fuel flow issues?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by roosterslucky, Jun 17, 2014.

1. roosterslucky

roosterslucky
    from florida

I just added a secondary electric fuel pump outside my tank on the line to the manual fuel pump, can this cause any fuel flow restriction to cause stalling in my 239 y block 54... thanks

2. It might,why did you add a electric fuel pump? HRP

3. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Why would you do that?o_O

4. DrJ

DrJ

I think it would depend on the flow rate of the electric fuel pump. Many people do as you did on carbureted mechanical fuel pump cars that are only driven once in a while just to fill the evaporated dry carburetor before starting. it shouldn't be an issue unless it can't freely flow as much as the carburetor needs, (read cheap $12 electric fuel pump.)

5. It might cause a flooding issue. The mechanical pump is designed to yeild a flow rate proportional to engine need by RPM in a stock configuration. I'd consider it only if you have way more than stock aspiration. Just one more thing to leak, have a bad relay, etc..

6. DrJ

DrJ

put the electric pump on a separate toggle switch and only use it when needed.

7. If you are still using the original carburetor you are probably getting too much fuel. HRP

8. roosterslucky

roosterslucky
    from florida

DrJ, thats what i did it for to prime when not used often. It is on a separate toggle and i turn it on for 30 seconds and she fires rite up. I was just wondering if when it is off the fuel is flowing ok to the carb.

9. DrJ

DrJ

Should be, like I said, depends on the free flow rate of the pump. the ID of the inlet and outlet are a crude indication of that.
    If it's starving on full throttle long accelerations, take it out of the system and see if that cures it, if not check for debris in the pickup in the tank.

10. I did the same on a 390 Caddy, but I installed a bypass around the electric pump (with a non -return valve) so the mechanical pump didn't have to suck through the electric pump, and installed a push-button to prime the carb when she's been sittin for a while.
    Once, It got me home when my mechanical pump stopped pumping, but I had to keep hitting the prime button to fill up the carb.

11. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

The pulse pumps do not restrict the flow when sucking through with a mechanical pump. Facet brand works well as a priming pump for cars that sit for an extended period of time. Flip a switch to prime the system and you are running without having to grind away. Don't forget to locate the pump as close as possible to the outlet of the tank. They are available in 12 and 6 volts. I have put these on several customers cars.

12. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

One of the problems that arose when adding an electric pump is that if the old factory diaphragm in the stock fuel should rupture, the electric can pump fuel into the crankcase wiping out the engine. You never see the leak so there is no alarm until the engine starts to knock IMHO the factory pump worked well for decades. Adding an electric pump is only a band aide.

13. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

I added an electric pump to my 455 Olds motor mainly to help start after sitting awhile. Works fine but in my case my mechanical pump wouldn't pull fuel through the installed electric pump so I have to run it all the time. Been on there 2 years with no issues so far.

14. roosterslucky

roosterslucky
    from florida

the stall occurs during the 4 gear acceleration and when i let off

15. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

There's some good info here. I'd never heard or thought about doing this.