Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical where to get king pins for a heavy axle?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by nickk, Jun 16, 2014.

1. nickk

nickk

Pretty much what the title says, I'm trying to rebuild my 32 heavy axle and would like to find just the king pins and bushings for the spindles or however the kit comes. Every place I've looked either has just the pins or a whole round back spindle kit too. And I'm just curious to whether they are the same as any other axle?

2. not sure what you are meaning ......but use the kingpin kit that fits your spindles.

the kit should contain kingpins, bushings,lock pins , and thrust bearings

3. nickk

nickk

What I meant to say is I'm looking for king pins/bushings for a 1932 Heavy axle and spindles.

4. Most of the repop Ford parts dealers sell the kingpins and bushings separately, at least Mac's and Sacramento Ford do. Personally, if I needed to use the stock type pins, I would look for NOS Ford parts or at least NORS USA aftermarket parts. The current repop A and '32-'36 pins seem like lesser quality material, to me anyway.

5. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

The spindles that you want to mount on the "heavy" axle will determine the king pin that you need. 32 spindles..32 king pins. later model spindles will require the king pin for that spindle. The axle doesn't care.

nickk and Hitchhiker like this.
  6. bartmcneill

bartmcneill
    from Ada, OK

Is the hole on the 32 different than others? This is the spindle I took off of my heavy 32. I think it was from a 54 Ford Pickup??

Attached Files:

7. The kingpin boss on a '32 axle is the same as all Ford car axles from '28-'48.
    You have a '42-'47 truck or '42-'48 car spindle with an '48-52 F-1 or '53-'56 F-100 backing plate in your picture.

8. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

I keep seeing the term "heavy axle" when referring to 32 Ford axles. What does this mean? Aren't all 32 Ford factory axles the same?

9. alchemy

alchemy

Yes, all '32 passenger and light truck axles are the same. Many (MANY!) '32's have had their axles replaced with '33-36 axles over the years, so guys think the car came originally with those "skinny" axles. Not true, the only real '32 axle is the so-called heavy.

sko_ford likes this.
  10. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

As other responders have posted the king pin for a passenger car axle is .812 diameter, The difference is in the overall height for the spindle design. If you have a termed 32 big beam axle you need to match the king pin kit with the spindles you are installing. If you have a Big beam axle out of a Truck application that uses a .100 diameter king pin that is 1 1/2 ton truck way to big for most uses.

11. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

32-34 Spindles use 32-34 Kingpin sets.
    35-36 Spindles use 35-36 Kingpin sets.
    37-41 Spindles use 37-41 Kingpin sets.
    42-48 Passenger and 42-47 Pickup Spindles use 42-48 Kingpin sets.
    48-52 Pickup spindles use 42-48 Kingpin sets.

All of the above can be used on 28-48 front axles, except the big truck axles.
    Kingpins are for spindles, not for axles.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014