Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The HAMB Old Farts' Club is one year old

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50Fraud, Sep 3, 2009.

1. 50Fraud

50Fraud

A year ago Tuesday, I started a thread about my opinion of many of the cars that had appeared at the Primer Nats, and asked if those cars represented the taste of the HAMB:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=290899

A huge shitstorm ensued, with some HAMBers invoking the "If you don't like 'em, don't look at 'em" viewpoint, and a second bunch that saw things much as I did. Chili Phil made the inspired suggestion that an Old Farts' Club might be a good place for us curmudgeons to hang out and make our grumpy remarks to one another. I thought that this was an excellent idea, so the next day I announced that the OFC was open for business:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=291156

In the year that followed, more than 200 curmudgeons of all ages have joined the club, and have posted more than 20,000 remarks -- some grumpy, some not so much. A remarkable comradery has evolved, and for many of us the threads on the OFC are a daily delight. While the average age of the group is probably 50-something, a few OF's are as young as their early 20's.

I'm bringing this up on the main board partly to acknowledge those HAMBers who have made the OFC a lot of fun, and partly to invite those OF's among you who haven't checked us out to do so. We're very much a part of the HAMB -- the subject of our dialogue is mainly traditional hot rods and customs -- but we may have a sharper focus on "back in the day" than others who weren't there. I invite you to look through the two threads above, and to come take a look.

2. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

It is a fun place:D before reading some of the posts be advised to swallow your coffee or adult beverage as laughter may ensue, which could cause damage to your keyboard:eek:

3. Special Ed

Special Ed

4. blackrat40

blackrat40
    Member Emeritus

I think I might want to join this group but I guess I'm too fuckin old at 65 to
    figure out the search function.
    First hot rod in 1960...does that qualify?

5. 50Fraud

50Fraud

No need to search. Click on Manage Your Account, then Social Groups, then View All Groups, and finally HAMB Old Farts' Club.

As far as qualifying: if you want in, you're in.

6. Special Ed

Special Ed

The Old Farts' Club standards appear quite high! :rolleyes:

7. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Who would want to hang around with a bunch of opinionated old coots unless they fit right in? Why be selective if hardly anybody wants in anyway?

8. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

is this all there is ? the OFC had many posts . where is everyone ? anyone know where my "friends" list went ? ... just lost again ..........

9. I'm one that lets things run it's course before I join,took me a couple of years of lurking on the Hamb before I joined and seeing this post confirms my trepidation,so I'm gonna join this prestigious group of curmudgeons.

I'm not saying I will be a asset but I am opinionated,which I believe is prerequisite, so I should fit in if you guys will have me. HRP

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  10. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

read your post on the HAMB . you seem ok . old farts do bs alot ..........

11. Obviously this group is by invitation only,I can't find it in the Social Forums. HRP

12. seatex

seatex

Maybe you are "over qualified", HRP!:cool::p:D

13. Hookedtrout

Hookedtrout
    from East Idaho

I went looking, found it, opened it and there was nothing in it? Looked like a pretty quiet group.

14. akoutlaw

akoutlaw

I can't seem to find it either. Was something changed in logging in to it when the HAMB changed to the new current design.

15. I just checked in to see what the Old farts were talking about - last post was 16 minutes ago, so it worked fine for me

16. I slipped in the back door when no one was watching.:D HRP

17. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I don't know if I am a member or not, I guess that means I am qualified to join.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  18. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Sounds like something I should be able to have a negative effect on. Besides, I can't let Danny (HRP) have a way to talk about me behind my back.

Frank

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  19. Frank,I won't say anything behind your back I would say on the main board or in a PM. icon_lol.gif HRP

20. Well, if being opinionated helps, and being an "old fart" is a plus, I guess I'd better look into it. ;)

21. To any of the new joiners, remember to "RESPECT THE GOAT!-MIKE:p:D

482938_442477625789633_252568231_n.jpg

22. wicarnut

wicarnut

Checking to see if 66 is old enough to be a member, as the years are flying by, Old Farts keep getting older, can't seem to catch up. When I was 30, 50 was old, got to 50, now 70 was old, made to my 60's now 80 is old. When someone sends a pic of me with one of my cars, I always wonder who is that old fat guy in pic, do not see him in the mirror, anyone else notice this, or is it just me?. John

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  23. MotorCityDeuce

MotorCityDeuce

I give. Where do you find "Manage your accounts"?

24. At the top of the page, click on the middle icon on the left (it looks like three people in silhouette), then click on "Social Groups", then on "Car Clubs" and scroll down to the Old Farts' Club. That's how I found it.

25. LAROKE

LAROKE

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot! Only a year? Seems like I've been checking in there every morning forever! Long live Order of the Goat.

26. The thread is from Sept. 3,2009....another old thread brought back to life,,,I'm kinda happy it was,,now I am a member. HRP