Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Is this an original factory marking?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by got oldsmobile 1951, Jun 15, 2014.

1. Hi everyone. I came across this marking on the frame of my olds and I was wondering if this was put on by the factory? I really think it is , but I just want to check with some other people so I can verify its authenticity. There is also another marking on the firewall ( written on upper left on firewall) in yellow marking paint why looks to be a series of numbers and letters like a inspector tag or something. Any help would be most appreciated!! Thanks in advance!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Probably. There's a restorer "whacking it in San Diego" over that little marking.:D

3. You bet,restorers get excited about factory markings,,hot rodders don't worry about them. HRP

4. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

Quite representative of the way GM did frames, at least back in the '50s and '60s. Corvettes had a similar type of stenciled application on their passenger side frame rails denoting the date of chassis assembly. Interestingly, it was applied upside down on the Vettes, as the frames were assembled of their running gear while laying upside down on a perfectly flat surface where body mount locations were measured and marked for number of shims possibly needed at each mount location IF not perfectly conforming. That date of Jan. 15, 1951 on yours is likely within a day or two of the car's birth (assembly) date. DD

5. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Ever clean off old parts and find small marks of paint, those are from the factory too. For the assembly line guys I think.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. squirrel

squirrel

Yellow paint on the firewall was often used to show the paint or trim or option codes. My Chevy II had the Trim and Paint codes in big yellow crayon on the firewall, over the primer, under the paint. Neat stuff if you're into figuring out just how they built the car...not important for a typical hot rod, though.

7. And sometimes you'll find markings on the steel from the steel factory, that was put in the steel before it became a "part".
    -Pat

8. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

The restorer in me likes those little things that are still on the cars but only on mostly original cars,when it comes to cars I piece togather I dont care that much about that stuff.

9. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

A friend of mine just got a really clean 1935 Chevy sedan that had the build date and some other codes stenciled on the frame very similar to that.

Blue