Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects side pipes on a model A coupe?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by model A hooligan, Jun 12, 2014.

1. so i have lake headers on my coupe,with pipes that go under the car,they are cut off at about the seat due to lots of changes to the car.im picking up so 16'glasspacks and havnt decided fully how i want to run them. do you fellas have any pics of them on the sides along the frame rail? my car has a torque link under it so running them under it i will not be able to have the pipes exit out the sides without hitting it,so my idea was to run them along the outside of teh frame.it will be channeled later wich would hide them,until then they would be a 'corvette' style

2. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No photos of a Model "A" but how bad could it be, I mean the "California Kid" had side pipes! dsc02530.jpg

3. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I dunno about side pipes….. but this version is about the best look in design..I love it.

043.jpg

Tim, Just Gary, kidcampbell71 and 9 others like this.
  4. they wouldnt be sticking out like a sore thumb like that,they would be all black,stop right about my rear tire,tucked up alongside the frame. no fenders and my split wishbones hang down lower than the pipes would.

would just have a small glasspack with some black piping after that.sorta 'early speedster meets corvette' if that makes sense.

reason being, my car doesnt have a floor in the rear anymore,im not ging to put one in until its channeled,and i drive the car so it will be a while till its done.my short straight pipes kill me for noise and fumes,i figure,getting them out past the body a little will help with all of that.

5. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Haha I was just looking for that picture to post here.

6. and i also do not like rear exit pipes..on anything.side pipes have always been my thing. or at least side exite pipes

dreddy-you have a 53 dash in your coupe?

7. CK had them for the movie. And you know how it is with 'movie' cars:rolleyes:

Bishop's roadster on the other hand is as good as it gets.:)

Chili Phil likes this.
  8. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

9. Just don't run them side pipes with sprint car headers - yuck

verde742 likes this.
  10. pitman

pitman

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  11. Bluedot

Bluedot

Dunno if this is anything like you are thinking of. Pic is from over a year ago while still being built. 455 Olds so we built the headers, mostly from Speedway parts. Used there shorty glasspack inserts in the 3 1/2" sidepipes.

Attached Files:

12. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Here's how I did the pipes on a buddies car.
    [​IMG]

don colaps and 46international like this.
  13. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

14. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Side pipes as I know the term look like shit on an old car. They belong on a van (maybe) and not a hotrod.

15. lowrpmtork

lowrpmtork

Not a great side view, but here are the sidepipes I run.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

16. I'm not crazy about them but IMHO this is the best example of side pipes on a Model A. HRP

[​IMG]

barrnone50 and Jibs like this.
  17. Anderson

Anderson

I built these for my old A a while ago.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1402711059.042876.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1402711181.983312.jpg

Posted using the Full Hot Rod H.A.M.B. App

barrnone50 likes this.
  18. mike bowling

mike bowling

Come on, 31 Vicky- I ran these and didn't have to get a radio! Camera 2-20-09 143.jpg

WC145, don colaps and chessterd5 like this.
  19. My car about a year before I bought it in 1979. They were gone when I bought it. Ad-Auto Swapper 2.jpg

20. DrJ

DrJ

I have been running the side pipes on the truck in my avatar for 21 years.
    Probably 90% of the passengers I've had have burned their legs getting out.
    Only a handful told me they did it though....
    Yea, I've burned my calves too... :p
    If you don't have a rear floor and stop at the wheels all the exhaust WILL get sucked back into the car and kill you if you have closed windows.
    I never drive with all the windows shut because even though they are turned out, they stop right at the back door jamb and I don't trust CO because It has no odor.
    Yea, DO IT! :cool:

21. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

The Silva Speed Special is a sedan,but I love the side pipes on her. I think they make the car. I've never burned my leg on them. They are pretty tight to the frame.

22. FlatJan

FlatJan

good way to save money on a car :D

23. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

We need a definition of the term "side pipe". This is what comes to my minds eye with this term. I hooked up many of them in the 80s. I thought that they were ugly then and I still do. I'm not a big fan of the long lakes pipes either. I do like the lakers that come out behind the front tires for easy uncapping for an impromptu race on a Friday night.

I like many of the exhaust systems in some of the above shots.

24. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This popped up on the traditional 29/31 Model A page on FB today. Not a coupe but great looking pipes and the detail on the hood is nice. [​IMG]

25. CTAV8

CTAV8

This is what we did. 001.JPG IMG_1529.JPG

26. Silva

Silva

Not a coupe, but...
    Prior to Doc's ownership and shortly after I finished the build.
    credit Zac @ full custom fab for building these exactly the way I wanted. Ruler! Silvaspeed.jpg

27. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Agreed Jeff unless you are running polished finned drums on the rear and chrome backing plates. Those side pipes are going to cause a lot of clean up work. :cool:

28. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Side pipes have their place;
    C-2 & C-3 vettes with off road exhaust (side pipes) YES
    early 2nd Gen Camaros with Thrush die pipes and cragars (Baldwin Motion) YES
    Those Thrush pipes on the dodge van above (I pity the fool who disses on my pipes) YES
    Mid 70's low rider step side chevy trucks with shielded side pipes (leg burners) YES
    427 AC Cobra side pipes (No one can ague) YES
    This? NO
    upload_2018-7-3_12-11-49.png
    I am fairly sure those cones are there as a caution due to that exhaust, kinda like the cones they use at the grocery store when there is a clean up needed. (photo ripped off the net)

That said there are some cool looking cars in this thread with side pipes and they would alleviate a lot of hassle building a car. Mine got real tight underneath with full exhaust.

29. manyolcars

manyolcars

That avatar is INCREDIBLY ugly

30. mkubacak

mkubacak