Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods "Bernadine" Built in 1958 Model "A"/Pontiac-Fort Wayne Indiana

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by miller91, Jul 9, 2009.

1. miller91

miller91

Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
  2. Interesting story. Thanks!

3. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED

Love those old pix!

4. miller91

miller91

Kinda different with the Pontiac 6, can't really see the motor too well. Definitely has that late 50's vibe.

5. kieran

kieran
    from San Diego

see, coupsters are traditional!

6. skunx1964

skunx1964

ya, i still dont see anything and the link wont work

7. VonKool13

VonKool13

Not much of a restoration. It has a lot of High tech stuff now like coil overs, tilt wheel, disc brakes. More of a resto mod than a restoration. I like the door treatment though.

8. Hey Folks

I realize that this is a WAY old thread, but I had to chime in here, because I just saw this and "Bernadine" is my car.

First of all, it was not a "family" restoration, it was my restoration on a car I inherited from my father. It is not a Pontiac 6 it is a Pontiac V8, from 1958 - a 370 CI motor made from almost all Offy racing parts. It is a complete beast, with a capital "B". It does NOT have disc brakes or any "modern" amenities, with the exception of a heater, because it is a driver and I get chilly during certain times of the year.

My father, owned a 1977 Pontiac Trans Am which was his favorite car of the modern era. He hit a patch of stones one night after having his foot a little too far into it and he rolled it a couple of times and totaled it. Dad was OK, but after the insurance claim was settled he went out to the junkyard and pulled the steering column out of it. He could tell that "Bernadine" would need a tilt-wheel because it is way too tight after channeling the body over the frame, and having the seat literally sitting on the floor boards. Besides he wanted to share that special key with Bernadine, so the Trans Am could stay with him. So YES, she also has a tilt wheel. No power steering, no power brakes, no radio you wouldn't be able to hear it anyways over the ROAR of that hot Pontiac V8!

The car has been featured in Car Kulture Deluxe and is currently being feature in "Pinups and Kustoms" which is a killer car magazine based in Sweden. The story is in three parts and part one is already posted here:

http://www.pinupsandkustoms.com/blog/bernadine-restoration-mutt-rod/

Don't know why anyone would claim the link above in the original post isn't working:

http://www.indiefinancialnetwork.com/hotrod.html

- it has worked since 2007 and STILL works.

[​IMG]

Also, posted my own story about the restoration here for those interested:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/bernadine-1929-ford-model-a-restoration.928898/

Thanks for all the kind words - might be nice to check out the new link which has new information.

With respect,

MuttHappy

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014