Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '58 F100 field rescue

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cam Baker, Jun 1, 2014.

1. Cam Baker

Cam Baker

Hello everyone. I'm Cam, and I'm from the blistering hot dustbowl of Bakersfield, CA. Wanted to introduce myself on the forum, and also to share my current love interest: my great grandfather's 1958 F100. I pulled this thing out of its 20 year prison sentence 3 months ago. It started off as my great grandpa Moses' truck, but was parked in the field when his health took a turn for the worse. After he passed away, my grandmother kept it in the field. After several years, I took it out of the field and put it in my garage. She was so stoked that I pulled it out. I don't think anyone had seen it without a thick coat of dust since '94. Filed the points, threw new plugs and oil in and it fired right up. New drums in the back and a new disk brake conversion in the front made me feel a little bit better about not having seat belts. Threw a GM one wire alternator in since the old school generator was done for. After my grandmother passed away a month and a half ago, I sort of went a little crazy on the truck. New whitewall bias ply Cokers, new exhaust, and a new 2 barrel Holley 94 since the old 1904 wasn't quite doing it for me. Regardless, pretty productive way to cope. The truck is now my daily driver. It gets me to work every single day. It isn't a showcar, but I love it more than a few of the showcar owners I know love theirs.

Stock 223 inline 6, bored 30 over.
    Borg Warner T-98
    Speedway Motors Front Disk Conversion
    Holley 94

Anyone here running the 94 on a 223 stock intake? I had to modify the crap out of a trans dapt adapter to make it fit, but now im curious about what jet size I should be running. I'd like to eventually run a multi-carb setup, but I don't want to bother until I can at least get this one up to peak performance.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

2. Ya done good on a 20 yr field truck.Grandparents would be proud.

3. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

Nice work. You're lucky you're in the dry dustbowl of Bakersfield...If that truck were in the Northeast, it would have been rotted up to the door handles.

Have fun with it.

Chris

4. Nice! I just picked up a 58 f100 myself. Offenhauser makes some cool multi carb intakes for the 223.

5. scotts52

scotts52

Welcome to the HAMB! Nice truck too!

6. Cam Baker

Cam Baker

Thanks everyone. I'm working out some stalling carb issues, but afterwards I'll try to land some more detailed pictures on here. I've learned quite a bit through trial and error, but I've also learned alot through this forum. Its only fair that I share that with anyone else in with a similiar set of circumstances.

Texas, thanks for the words.

Barsteel, I was pretty surprised. For 20 years, I was expecting massive rustout. I got a few patches to be made in the floorboards and passenger door still, but that's really about it.

Steve, I was looking at the offy. I'd like to run a dual carb, just because I'd like to take it easy on the assembly. Tri carb does look badass though... nonetheless, I've got carb work to do.

Considering the 94 I have now will probably be my primary with whatever I run with, I need to get it running a little more stable. It can idle and run fine, but after heavy throttle it stumbles and tends to want to die. I've already adjusted the float twice, may just need to go a little further outside of stock spec.

Scott, thanks for the warm welcome.

7. I love stories like this. Good for you, man. Not too many people get to drive their great grandpas truck. Did you find anything cool in it when you cleaned it out?

8. Cam Baker

Cam Baker

Saxman, as a matter of fact, I did. I found some old timesheets, old school road flares, and some pretty heavy duty towing chains.

9. RITE

RITE

Hey cam way cool story man. My father has my grandfather's 1950 f100... in about the same condition... im just hoping he doesnt sell it. Like you id love to drive it someday. As for the carb... when the truck has just warmed up... what does it do when doing a pull to say 60mph? Does it sputter at the top end ? Or can you not even get there?

10. Cam Baker

Cam Baker

Cool to hear, Rite. You'll get your chance. Vehicles that are passed down the family tend to stay in the family. And these trucks tend to run like watches. 3 months out of the field and my F100 is my daily driver. Carb issues and all hahaha.

With the stock holley 1904 that was on there, it ran okay at half choke. Pretty annoying hesitation on throttle, but other than that, it was okay. Not much power, even after a full rebuild. You really can't expect much from a single barrel carb. I have a buddy who does Volkswagen restoration who brought his Bug by. We did a side-by-side comparison, and to my dismay I realized his carb was bigger than mine. So....no more 1904.

In comes the Holley 94. It really gets on it at throttle, no stumble even at wide open throttle. Its just after I let off is when it stumbles. If I floor it to a near redline, it'll usually die after it starts to return to idle. If I just let off it after normal driving, it will stumble and drop pretty low. Only after I give it a small tap of the gas pedal will it return to normal idle.

Stock float adjustment is 1 11/32, I have it set to 1 9/32. Going higher with the float seemed to have helped a little, but I don't want to flood out. Idle speed and air mixture adjustments don't seem to be too much of a help.

11. Cam Baker

Cam Baker

Did some work today. Did further modifying to the crapped out adapter I incorrectly received, but now it seems to be a little more stable. I have to keep my idle speed at 1200 for something close to peak performance, which isn't too great with straight pipe. Air mixture adjustments aren't making much of a difference.

I ordered a new offy adapter and master rebuild kit from vintage speed, so hopefully that will make a difference. I'll keep everyone posted.

In the meanwhile, check out my jerry rigging.

Attached Files:

12. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

You might try installing a dashpot, to keep it from returning to idle too quickly.

13. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

14. Cam Baker

Cam Baker

s55mercury66, I don't think the model 2100 I have can run a dashpot. I'm still new to these carbs, but I'll look into it. Vintage speed is sending me a master kit for it. My work decided to ease off on me and give me back 2 day weekends. I may be able to get a closer look with some free time.

Hotrod1959, I really love the clifford intakes. I think after I get new whitewalls for the rear I'll start putting together a dual intake. I really want to invest in an aftermarket header too, since the stock 223 exhaust manifold has a butterfly valve that gets seized up pretty bad. I just freed mine up last night, but its completely useless and detrimental.

Does anyone know at which position the counterweight needs to be set at to indicate a fully open valve?

Attached Files:

15. pigpin75

pigpin75

Welcome to the HAMB. I have seen you truck around the Bako in the SW area. Engine sounds good.

Cam Baker likes this.
  16. Cam Baker

Cam Baker

haha, nice. I want to apologize in advance for all the noise. its even getting to be a little too obnoxious, even for me.