Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods clutch slave cylinder vs M/C vs 5.1.1 pedals

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by clockwork31, Jun 9, 2014.

1. clockwork31

clockwork31

I've searched here and found some stuff about it but I'm still confused.

I need to make my clutch work properly. I have a 327 sbc with a 4 speed saginaw for my model A. I have a wilwood swing pedal kit 5.1.1 ratio, a wilwood 3/4" bore master cylinder and a chevy 13/16" bore slave cylinder (it means 1/16 bigger than the m/c).

Will this work properly together? Does the slave bore have to perfectly match the m/c or 1/16" will not make any difference. Will this cause a big leg effort, some kind of damage or will not work at all? Thank you !

2. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I figure you will be close, as far as all the movements adding up..My problem is the pedal ratio..At 5:1 you may have about 5" of pedal travel [guesstament], 1" of MC travel and about .925 at slave cylinder which means about .400 at throw out bearing which is in the ball park for good clutch release...I think the 5:1 is going to be too much pedal pressure, hard feel, but will depend on what you have for a clutch pressure plate as I think the 5:1 is designed for a racing multy disc clutch with small pressure plate generally in or out so smoothness [feathering to start] is not a worry......With a 7:1 pedal ratio the pressure at your foot will deminish by .71 [30%] with all else staying the same and travel will increase to a 7" guesstament, more travel, more control..

3. clockwork31

clockwork31

So is there a way to reduce pedal pressure by keeping the same pedal setup? My clutch is early 70s camaro 11". thanks