Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods plastic fuel filters, before the the fuel pump or after or both?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by roosterslucky, Jun 7, 2014.

1. roosterslucky

roosterslucky
    from florida

54 ford f-250 again, getting the the bottom of my fuel tank issue and wanted to know if people suggest running a fuel filter before the fuel pump and after right before the carb? Are 2 necessary while going through the dirty tank process? or can i just have one right before the fuel pump? Thank you in advance..

2. just pull the tank and flush it out, you will have to in the future any way. why wait to tow it in first?

3. jazz1

jazz1

1 filter between tank and fuel pump is enough. If your tank is dirty your first filter will just plug up quickly. A cheap solution to cleaning a gas tank is fill it with vinegar and let it sit a week, then put a few feet length of chain in there,,swish it around till your arms are tired then do it for another 15 minutes. Empty and the fill with 15 gallons water with 1 cup baking soda ,,,swish that around for a few minutes and the empty. The interior of gas tank will appear to have been sandblasted. It will be that clean.
    Save the vinegar for soaking any other rusty parts you may have.

4. verde742

verde742

cleaning the tank, or REPLACING it is really the way to go, when I finally pulled mine it had over

6 inch deep of rust, visible thru the sending unit hole. Use small chain to get under baffles.

heck, Just get a new original tank, from So-Cal less than $300, make the call. IMO

5. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

Whether you decide to use one filter or two....using a metal filter, NOT a plastic one. I've seen from personal experience, a plastic fuel filter that melted from a very minor backfire, and resulted in a major damaging fire. They are junk!

6. roosterslucky

roosterslucky
    from florida

Thanks

7. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I run a filter just out of the tank and one just before the carb. Can't hurt to have 2 chances to catch something. I also use the plastic filters. One, I grew up with them. Two, I've NEVER had one melt from a back fire or anything else. Thinking about it, the back fire that would melt one would not only have to be HUGE, but also sustained. It's the glass ones that don't make sense to me. I've seen them break and cause a fire.

And speaking of filters, the metal ones are great, except you can't see if it's collected anything. There's a very good reason the factories phased out glass gas filters. They break and can cause a fire.

8. greaseyknight

greaseyknight
    from Burley WA

For his purposes a plastic one might be better, as long as it is before the fuel pump. When dealing with crud in the tank, its very helpful to be able to see how much junk is in the filter to know how bad the problem is and when to change the filter.

9. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

I used both just to be safe. They are cheap, why not?