Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage SWAP MEET ADVICE Rookie at LARS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The37Kid, Jun 6, 2014.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

Ok after 49 years I get to go to my FIRST LA Roadster Show and SWAP MEET, what helpful tips can you give us? I've got 44 years of Hershey under my belt, and have been told the LA Swap Area covers about as much ground as our weekly Swap Meet in New Milford, Ct. Were is the best place to park, any gate better than others, best arrival time, we'll be coming in from the Glendale area. Can't wait to see how this all looks in real life, after seeing R&C and HAMB coverage all these years. Bob

2. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Just follow the signs. All buyers enter at the back of the fairgrounds. Nothing is in order. just go in and start walking.

3. If you are planning on buying anything at all, bring a wagon or a cart. Since they changed the layout around a couple years ago, you have to walk through the show to get to the swap meet. It's probably 1/2 mile from your car to the swap area, and that's before walking up and down all the aisles. Even a sack full of small parts gets awful heavy on the way back to the parking lot.

4. McFly

McFly

Make friends with some HAMBers who are selling out there. They will probably let you stash your loot at there space.

5. etboy97

etboy97

Take a look at the LA Roadster's web site at the map. It looks likes they are making a change this year and will also have spectator parking through gate 15 so you can park closer to the swap area in addition to the gate 9 parking which is all the way across the fair grounds.

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

Should be interesting to see what West Coast prices are on things. Are most vendors seasoned pros or do first timers show up with a load of stuff they just want to get rid of? I always list my Hershey spot as a parts drop off, HAMB meeting place, there must be a few at LARS I would think. Bob

7. if your not a seasoned heat person bring lots of water! sunscreen and hat plus long sleeves or the sunburn god will cook your ass!

8. moonlight graham

moonlight graham
    from wyo

My brother lives near LA, says its been hot, near 100 Degrees so expect warm weather and dress accordingly. Don't forget sunscreen.

9. The37Kid

The37Kid

So the large Dunkin Donuts coffee is an East Coast thing while walking a swap meet. Bob

10. This will be my first visit also. Any info for us 'newbies' is seriously appreciated!

11. bluardun

bluardun
    from tucson az.

Bob; Glad you will be able to come.
    Swappers will enter thru gate 15. This is on Arrow Highway, by the starting line for the dragstrip. Spectators will enter thru gate 9; however there will be parking and spectator entrance thru gate 15 also. Back to the way it use to be.
    Swap spaces are sold on a first come first served basis. Some swappers will start lining up on Wedesday. This isn't neccessary. We will open the gates Friday at 10am. There will be plenty of spaces. We will not turn anyone away because we have run out of spaces. Saving spaces for buddys is not allowed. Glad you will be able to come. We hope you will have an enjoyable time. Hope you bring some good parts for$ale.

12. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

If you are a Hershey veteran then the prices won't shock you. You will find a lot of regulars will buy from the new sellers on Friday and double the price on Saturday. Saturday is the only day the swap meet is in full swing. Many sellers leave on Sunday. Take all the advice given above about heat, water and good walking shoes. Have fun and welcome to LA.

13. Golf carts were available for rent in the past, but may be a little pricey. Best to inquire on that in advance.

14. jerry

jerry

If you want something, buy it then! Either someone else will or you will never find it again!

jerry

15. Special Ed

Special Ed

Weather is forecast to be about 80 degrees next weekend. It does get warm in the afternoon, as you will be on asphalt. Bring some shade, and a hat. Bring some water. Buyers in SoCal are savvy as they've been doing swaps here forever. Prices are exactly what buyers are willing to pay, just like anywhere else. Good luck and welcome to Southern California!

16. fortynut

fortynut

Bring extra money. Parts show up you've been looking for, all your life (and sometimes didn't even know it). It's a Hot Rod wet dream; and for many the swap meet is as enjoyable to walk through, as the show itself --- no slight intended to those with their bitichin' roadsters on view. Also, take a look at the parking lot, where cars from those who attend are worthy of notice, some being prime examples of what beaters can and should be. And, also, last but not least, look for the SCTA display that always has some bad ass dry lakes machines. Good stuff, all. Wish I was there.

17. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

yep, water-hat-sun lotion - camera/ good phone - lots of cash - big heavy duty bag to carry all of the stuff you buy - remember this their 50th

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  18. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

Bob. All of the advice given is spot on I can only add, if you plan to see a particular vendor during the show you might want to get a cell number ahead of time. That way you can call them and they can guide you to their location. Saves mileage.

19. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'll be easy to spot, I'm the guy without a cell phone. Bob

nostalgia59 likes this.
  20. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

21. That will make 2 of us. I think the HAMB camp might be up and going in the sell/show area of the swapmeet.

22. Bad Bob will have a "Village Idiots" banner at his camp......No HAMB banner this year.......He banned it......

23. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

so that would make him "banned Bob" ?

24. 3Deuce40

3Deuce40
    from Colorado

Some of the best deals and the hottest parts are made and seen on Friday as the swappers are lined up to get in. We always go out there early and just walk the line of cars. A lot of stuff never makes it in as it sold out in the parking lot.