Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VIN tag possibly missing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bill Blust Jr., Jun 1, 2014.

1. Bill Blust Jr.

Bill Blust Jr.

Talked to the present owner of the 1940 Chevrolet Coupe my dad finished in 1976 and sold the same year. I will be driving from my home in Pennsylvania to Illinois to purchase it. From my research, on this year and model of car, the VIN tag was located riveted on the passenger side floor under the carpet. Present owner said he has no idea if it is there or not and I don't think he wants to rip out the carpet just to check. My question is that if it is not there, what are my legal options in Pennsylvania to obtain a new one? The title is a clear title. I don't believe I will have any problems getting the car retitled and registered in Pennsylvania normally. But from what I understand is that if I want to title it as a Street Rod, I will need a photo and a pencil rubbing of the VIN tag. I might be worried about nothing and when I get the car home and rip up the carpet it will be there. But what if it isn't? Is there some type of documentation I would need or could get from the DMV in Illinois to prove this is the car that goes with the title? And no, its not the original motor. It is the original frame though. Would the VIN or serial number be stamped on it anywhere?

Please don't say that I shouldn't buy the car without a VIN tag. This was my fathers street rod he built and I have been searching for it for 22 years, I'm going to buy it. I need advice on what I can or need to do "IF" the VIN tag is missing.

Thanks to all who respond.

Model T1 likes this.
  2. It's that hard to take off the sill plate and pull the carpet up enough to see in there?

They do make repop VIN tags that could be stamped if it's missing, of course don't clue anyone in, including us, if that's your choice.

If PA doesn't inspect the car for a VIN it doesn't really matter, just don't say anything. If they do need to verify it, then something needs to be there. You know nothing, you bought it that way.

Model T1 likes this.
  3. Docfranknstein

Docfranknstein

If I could find one of My Dad's old rides I would buy it if the car was half missing, hells yeah buy it, and work out the kinks latter. Von Doc

4. Bill Blust Jr.

Bill Blust Jr.

Doc, I'm buying the car no matter what! A month after my dad sold it in 1976 (I was 16) he was killed in an auto accident. This car means a great deal to me. I have searched for this car off and on for 22 years. I'm not going to walk away just because of a missing VIN tag.

5. knotheads

knotheads

Just wondering how you will be verifying that this is indeed your dad's old car without the vin tag?

6. Bill Blust Jr.

Bill Blust Jr.

Knotheads, not hard at all. It still has the paint my dad sprayed on it and also the same upholstery my dad put in. My dads best friend from back then whom I just recently got in contact with is the one that gave me the present owners contact info. My dads best friend helped my dad build it. The coupe is still in the same small town where my dad lived (population approximately 12,000) 38 years after he sold it. And last but not least, my dad let me install two "Body By Fisher" plates on the door sill. I told the present owner about this and he took a pic with his cell phone and texted it to me. Trust me, this IS my dads car.

Model T1 likes this.
  7. txturbo

txturbo

never heard of a serial number being under the carpet. Its almost always on the top of the frame under the floor on the drivers side. If it still has the original motor, the serial number will be on it and is the same as the number on the frame.

8. Hot Rod Nut

Hot Rod Nut

I just looked up 40 chevy VIN tag location and it said it was under the carpet , drivers side, in front of the front seat, metal tag. I would call the owner and tell him to pull the sill plate, lift the carpet and look there.Good luck.

Model T1 likes this.
  9. You want to be extra sure. Illinois is a tough state in which to get anything titled, and near impossible to title anything without paper. A missing VIN can be a quick trip to the gray bar hotel; at the very least a truly heart racing event as the people to whom you have to give explanation hold your freedom in their hands. Don't be foolish, I know people who've gone down for these things.

Cosmo

Model T1 likes this.
  10. knotheads

knotheads

11. Sir here is my take on this. What does it matter. Your going to buy it. Then your going to have to deal with whatever comes up later. That's it. I'm gonna guess it still shows old dad as the former owner. That's all there is to it.

Model T1 likes this.
  12. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

Make sure you get a good title and detailed bill of sale. Those will help if you run into problems in PA. At worst, you may be looking at having to title it as an assembled car or whatever terminology they use in PA. Or maybe you'll have to get a bonded title.

13. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

It is your Dad's car. Damn the torpedoes. Full speed ahead!

14. Get a surety bond on it as soon as you buy it, if there is any issues, you'll at least be covered....

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

15. Bill Blust Jr.

Bill Blust Jr.

From everythingI have read, on a 1940 Chevy, the VIN numbers are found under the front floor mat on the passenger side, just in front of the front seat mounting bracket.

16. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

you never had an old chevy then . i have lived a long time and there are a lot of things i ve never heard of . that being said i dont believe that they carried this to the 40 . my 35 had it under the seat ( passenger side)

17. Model T1

Model T1

Another member said it was-------> under the carpet , drivers side, in front of the front seat, metal tag.
    It is no problem for you or the present owner to remove the sill plate, lift the carpet and any mat to check. Good luck and enjoy dad's ride.

18. Model T1

Model T1

I had a 1933 Chevy Master and have no idea where the VIN was. So with all of the different answers the 40 could be anywhere. Seems like it's time to check with an old Chevy club or book.

19. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

Hopefully its still got but Worse comes to worse buy a parts car with a good vin. Not saying it's the best most legal thing to do but in your situation it wouldn't stop me. Hopefully it's still there cool that you found your dad's old ride.

20. Bill Blust Jr.

Bill Blust Jr.

Cosmo, the car has been, titled in Illinois (where my dad lived) since he bought it in 1972. He bought it from the same area he lived in. So I'm assuming that it has always had an Illinois title. The three owners after my dad sold it were also from the same town, so it still has an Illinois title. I live in Pennsylvania and will be having it titled in Pennsylvania.

Model T1 likes this.
  21. Docfranknstein

Docfranknstein

Bill is there a ben-na-fit to being reg'd as a Street Rod? Because I try and avoid putting Myself into cat-a-gory's , fearfull that the government may change the rules about the cat-a-gory I'm in, I'm not paranoid they really are out to get Me, remember NAVY never again volunteer yourself hahaha. Von Doc

22. Bill Blust Jr.

Bill Blust Jr.

Doc, in order to run a car without bumpers and fenders in Pennsylvania, it has to be from the year 1947 or before and must be retitled as a street rod. I want fenders on it but I think it looks better without the bumpers.

23. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

If its any help at all...
    The 39 Chevy sedan that's at my shop has the Vin tag on the passenger side of the cowl..facing the side of the car..not the front..
    Open the hood..stand next to the fender..tag is about 3 inches in front of the door...

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

24. Bill Blust Jr.

Bill Blust Jr.

Thanks Dave

25. txturbo

txturbo

I've had lots of old Chevys....from the late 30s, late 40s and 50s and 60s. But I haven't owned a 1940.....guess it was a one year thing

26. Moby

Moby
    Member Emeritus

Don't rely on uninformed advice, call Bryan Shook in Camp Hill PA. He's an attorney (and old car nut) who specializes in sorting out title issues for old cars. He helped me get several clear PA titles when it looked like there was no hope.

27. Bill Blust Jr.

Bill Blust Jr.

Thanks Moby!!!

28. aaggie

aaggie

The VIN tag should be on the passenger side just in front of the front corner of the seat. The problem with most of the old cars is the floor rusts away in that area and the tag goes with it. Some states used the engine serial number on the original title and if it was changed you were supposed to have the title changed but almost no one did. Look at the title and see what number it has and go from there. Buy it and be prepared to deal with the hassles, it will be worth it.

29. Bill Blust Jr.

Bill Blust Jr.

Aaggie, I will buy the coupe and deal with whatever I need to do to make it legal. Again, nit sur if it still has the VIN tag or not. Just wanted to post that question here in case it doesn't and get advice from more knowledgeable people than me on what I could/should do.

30. Bill Blust Jr.

Bill Blust Jr.

Just want to say that I'm not trying to do anything illegal here. This coupe IS the car my dad bought in 1972 or 1973. It has a clear title. Its just that I have heard that many of the same type of cars, their floor pans rusted away and the VIN tag fell off. I just wanted to ask what my options were in case the VIN tag is actually gone. I'm not trying to do anything shady here.

I also want to say thank you for all the comments and advice, I really appreciate it.