Register now to get rid of these ads!

what is THE BEST flathead distributor option?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by curtiswyant, Mar 6, 2006.

1. curtiswyant

curtiswyant

Hi y'all, I want to hear REAL LIFE experiences with "better" flathead ignitions (49-53). I'm looking to run dual carbs and will have to replace the stock dizzy. I'm leaning towards the drop-in MSD unit but the cost is scaring me a bit. I'm interested to hear specifics of adapting a Chevy dual point, etc. Thanks!!!! :D

2. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I run a stocker w/Pertronix conversion. No problems at all and less than $100.

3. cruzr

cruzr

i run a mallory electronic.have used this on several engines , never a problem

4. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

It really doesn't take much to use a Chevrolet distributor in a flathead; one of my friends converted a Spalding Flamethrower for his. He just turned down the housing to slip fit into the front cover, and turned down the end of the mainshaft small enough to put the flathead drive gear on it.

5. I run a vintage 1954 Valcan Dual point mounted in a OEM FoMoCo dizzy.

Has never failed yet.

6. LIMEY

LIMEY

A buddy of mine used a Mopar 318 with simular mentioned mods to fit, he said it was good with its vac advance & worked well with his dual carb set up.

Personally i've just taken delivery of a Vertex mag for my new monster flatty, cost me just under a $1000...ouch!! the exchange rate is good for me & well its only money, :) don't get me wrong i'm not loaded i just save hard for my toys!

Kev.

7. the-rodster

the-rodster

Pete,

Are you running the vac advance?

Dual 94s?

Thanks,
    Rich

8. Theres a section in Tex Smith's The complete Ford Flathead V8 Engine Manual on converting the Chevy dissy to fit the flathead.

9. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I have run 2 motors with the Vertex electronic mag lookalike and have no problem. One had a blower with 2 carbs and one just carbs. Both started instantly and ran just fine. I did another one with the Mallory dual point which I eventually shitcaned in favor of the Mallory electronic which was a vast improvement.

10. pigpen

pigpen
    from TX USA

I'm running the new style Mallory dual point on two different motors, the second one with 2X2's and a Max One cam with .125 overbore. The first one had a condenser failure with very low miles. They both run fine now. I changed the second condenser also, just for GP. No point wear for 1000 miles now, so far so good. If I had it to do it over, I would probably go with the electronic unit also. I don't like the MSD because of the price and the necessity for the use of two separate units. (krylon32. Are you former USN? The words "shit canned" have a familiar ring.) :cool:

pigpen

[​IMG]

11. I modded MoPar elec distributors/ignition in a mates ride and they are super reliable and fairly cheep.

Im also running a Mallory twin point (with the trailiing point removed) and the remaining point used to trigger an MSD 6BTM. Used the BTM to dump timing with the blower setup.

Both run like champs !!

Rat

12. CheatersPete

CheatersPete

i use a chevy aluminium dizzy with pertronix II module.
    work great for me!

13. I think I'm going to have to try the PerTronix on my stock dizzy to see what kind of improvements I get. (Also putting a Holley 8007 4 barrel on...come on tires...burn.)

14. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Personally have had an MSD fail recently after less than 1000 miles, failed module.
    So right now am looking for an MSD module for an 8573 ready to run 8ba flathead dist.
    Or a new distributor with vaccum advance feature also, if such a thing exists.

15. I've got the MSD drop in/plug and play (no extra box), 3k miles and fires right up. I did get an adjustable vacuum can since the supplied unit is basically curved for a checv w/ 35* total advance. Way too much for the 8BA.

16. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your stock loadomatic distributor will not work with carbs not designed to work with loadomatics. Invest in a Chevy/Chrysler conversion or aftermarket drop in with mechanical (along with optional vacuum advance).

17. 51 MERC-CT

51 MERC-CT

Modified Mallory Unilite made for a Mopar
    [​IMG]

18. Wow, and a thread from 2006 !!!

19. dudley32

dudley32

and I loved my magneto back then...and still do...

20. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I've used several of the converted Chevy distributors from GMC Bubba on the HAMB. They work great.

21. RICK R 44

RICK R 44

Been running an early 80,s 318 Chrysler electronic with the orange box since 1999 in my roadster. over 75000 mi. replaced the original wrecking yard box a few years ago. Works great. I have a couple made up. if you are interested e mail me at [email protected]. I haven't figured out the new h a m b yet