Register now to get rid of these ads!

History central wa deuce in '55

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Brock49Ford, May 28, 2014.

1. Brock49Ford

Brock49Ford

Any Central WA HAMBers recognize this awesome hot rod? My Dad and his pal Tony (our excellent host at the Lone Star Roundup this year) grew up in small central WA town of Ellensburg. They were teenagers in the mid 50s. They have also been life long car guys- hot rods, exotics, stockers, you name it. Tony sent this email and picture to my Dad and 3 others they grew up with.

"Perhaps you guys remember this car as I do. For some reason, I got a picture of this car which I think was impounded at the police station lot, just across the street from the YMCA as I recall. It was too cool for words and I believe I got my mom to take me by there with our camera and get this picture once I discovered it!
    It is a ’32 Ford 5-Window Coupe, channeled but not chopped (if chopped it is a minor one!). this was way ahead of its time in the early 50s around central Washington.
    You guys remember it?
    It had a huge impact on me and my idea of what a hot rod was!"
    first hot rod I ever saw from Tony.jpg

Tony thinks this was taken about 1955. Flathead powered, heavy channel, split wishbones, bobbed fenders, and possibly '50 Pontiac taillights. Impounded by police makes me like it even more. Damn hot rodders.

2. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Cool looking rod,both cars looking shiny but not super high gloss,i like it!

33sporttruck likes this.
  3. oldolds

oldolds

Looks like an east coast car. Service man perhaps?

4. redo32

redo32

Channeled cars were not strictly "East Coast". Hot Rod featured lots of Cali cars and the NorthWest had it's fair share of channeled cars. Even in my little hometown of Springfield we had several. 55 years ago when I was a holey terror on a bicycle I stopped & stared at a cool '34 channeled coupe with a '32 grille. Ironically that car still exists in Washington.

dana barlow likes this.

5. alchemy

alchemy

Looks like a flathead with one carb on top. I think the taillights are '39's, not domed enough for 50 Pontiac.

6. I've been here in E'burg since 66. Never seen it

7. Brock49Ford

Brock49Ford

alchemy- the more I look at it the more I agree with you.

I also love what looks like over spray on the frame up by the cowl. The more I look at it the more I want to know the story.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. Talk to Chris on here or one of the other inland emperor's. They have a lot of family history in the Northwest dealing with hotrod and show cars from the 50s and 60s.

9. 33sporttruck

33sporttruck

Dana, Good Eye on the paint. I am sure that a lot of cars modified in the 50's and 60's hit the streets wearing the original factory paint. All those years of use could leave you with a semi-gloss
    appearance.
    The picture below was taken in 1966 Sporting Original Factory Paint.............................Jeff
    best 39-finished.png

dana barlow likes this.
  10. mrhotrods5

mrhotrods5
    from oregon

Could this be the same car? I believe this car was bought by couverkid in washington

Attached Files:

11. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Is there any bolt holes in the quarters where the stubby fenders bolted on?

12. mrhotrods5

mrhotrods5
    from oregon

Actually the quarters were cut up to the belt line

13. Looks like a deeper channel on the first coupe, below the frame rail vs at the frame rail, same with the cowl edge... who knows maybe it was changed at some point

14. mrhotrods5

mrhotrods5
    from oregon

The bottom of the car is rusted away in this picture..no bottom cowl, rockers ect. Hard to say, just haven't seen to many cars from this area channeled hard

15. Brock49Ford

Brock49Ford

Probably impossible to ever know if it was the same car. Doesn't matter. Both are/were hot rods. For all we know the car never survived the 50's, or it could be still waiting to be found.... I do know that it set a young kid in a small town down a life long path.

redo32 - I grew up in Eugene, although later than you. Lots of cool cars in that area for sure.