Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Fordly embarrassed - Id help please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Vicky with a hemi, May 29, 2014.

1. I have a 67 galaxy with a small block ford. No reason to expect its original. I need to figure out what it is because it needs an oil pump.

Here's the numbers by the starter
    C8AE. 6015. C
    The thermostat goes into the intake

the lower t stat bolt is below the water pump and can't accept a socket.

6 bolt valve covers.

So here's what I found.
    In this time frame ford mixed 289 and 302 internals and blocks.

2. I think the "C8" stands for 1968 and the 6015 may be the number that denotes "engine block" I would have to look it up again....

3. I'm trying to recall, yet I thought that 289 and 302 used the same oil pump. At least in the years contemplated.

And, yes, C8 is a 1968 casting number. As D8 is 1978.

4. Ok so it's a 1968
    The 302 289 hybrid years

I'm thinking this is why I rarely screw around with fords.

5. Ford blue blood

Ford blue blood

Same oil pump, just different pickups depending on oil pan configuration.

6. Ok so which is which on the oil pickups ?

This is an oil pump job, so I need pan gasket, pump, pick up tube/screen, oil pump drive shaft.

I have no idea what to ask for because I have no idea what I have now.

7. Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

8. Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

9. 58custom

58custom

Any off-the-shelf 289/302 oil pump for 65-into the 80s will work. Melling M68. Don't bother with a high-volume pump. Oil pans same for Mustang, Fairlane and Galaxie and the Mercs. Standard pickup for same year shared with oil pans. 289 engine was available as base V8 in the big Fords in '67.

"The hybrid years" just means the same head was used on the 289 and the 302 for 1968 (NOT 1967) as Ford transitioned from one to the other. 1968 head chamber was larger than previous years and nearly identical volume as the 69/70 351W, within a couple of ccs plus the manufacturing tolerance no one ever takes into account on the internets. Not rocket science.

10. powrshftr

powrshftr

As long as its still a front sump pan,all the 289/302 motors from 65 on used the same pump and pickup,right up until they started using the 5.0 style double sump pan,which has a reeeeally long pickup you would instantly recognize.
    It should be easy to get,just ask for one for a 65 or 66 289.

Scott

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. 58custom has got it...
    The front-sump 260/289/302 car pans were all the same (although Ford moved the location of the drain plug around a few times over the years) into the 80s, and all used the same pickup. Even the rear sump cars used the same oil pump and pump driveshaft, just a different pickup. The exception was the 351W which used a 'taller' pump to clear the longer stroke, along with a longer driveshaft and different pickup.

12. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Was it built during a full moon or new moon? It might make a difference on the Ford stuff during the 60s-70s. I mean, ya never know, ya know...:D

13. Yeah no kidding !

From the links.

Cleveland ran out of 289 blocks and substituted their new 302 block, C8-OE-6015-A and marked with 302 in the lifter valleys. This block wasn't intended to see action until 1968.

So it really could make a difference if it was a July/August new moon or full moon.

14. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

I grew up working on Fords, and learned a long time ago its best to take the old parts with you to the parts store...unless you just really like the scenery on the way back and forth. Good Luck!

15. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

They never asked for 'assistance'...or used killer 58 cent parts in vital spots...

...just sayin'.

16. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

You can drop the pan on those cars without pulling the motor if you did not know that.

17. Thanks guys, I'm off ( like a prom dress :) ) to get the second batch of parts. Hopefully this will be correct.

had to lift the motor out of the mounts to pull the pan.

18. txturbo

txturbo

It's easier to just turn the crank a little...

19. Fords are a tad foreign to me as well. I also go with matching up the old one at the parts counter whenever possible.

Bob

20. R Pope

R Pope

When it comes to Fords, parts off a red one won't fit a blue one.

21. This was a black one that was originally red. So no wonder it was a PITA. :)

But she's all buttoned up now and running well.

Thanks for the help fellas

22. Here's a pic for your viewing pleasure

Attached Files:

23. did it twist that shaft like that or is that the way they make them?

24. That's twisted, they are made straight.

25. I have one of those shafts sitting on my work bench. Out of my Falcon.

26. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

Did the old pump pick up a piece of broken up valve stem seal? If it did you might pull the valve covers and check the rest of the stem seals unless you want to do the job again. Common problem on those.

27. Hard to say what it picked up exactly, but the foreign object in the pump is clearly there. the valve seals aren't what they used to be for sure. There was a small breech in the pickup screen and some crud in the pan.
    The crud didnt smack me as old valve seal parts however I wasn't aware of the common problem either.

Thank you for the heads up on that.