Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Just love the quality..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tudorp, May 28, 2014.

1. Tudorp

Tudorp

I am replacing my side window glass on my 53. The sketchy restored interior is functional, but tired, so while I have the side panels off, decided to go ahead and re-upholster the side panels. While taking the old ones off, they basically crumbled in my hands. I knew it wasn't a very good job from the previous owner, but damn, I had no idea. He made the panels out of regular corrigated cardboard boxes. The paper cardboard was pretty much dust, and I am not sure what was even holding the fabric he has it draped in, lol. So, Not only do I have to make new covers, I have to make new panels, with not much to use as a template. Fortunatly, it's not too difficult. So, headed off to home depo to get some 1/8" hardboard which is what I had always made my panels with. I just can't figure out why some folk even try to restore something if they aren't going to do it right. Jeesh.. Sorry, just had to vent a little.. ;)

2. Tudorp

Tudorp

3. 33sporttruck

33sporttruck

The Guy didn't even use American Made Cardboard (made in Malaysia)..........Jeff

4. Tudorp

Tudorp

Yeah, that was the first thing I noticed too.. lol..

5. Upholstery shops have a good thin board just for that purpose.

6. Tudorp

Tudorp

Yep, I know.. But I've been using standard 1/8" hardboard with really nice results for decades. It's actually better than the heavy paper poster type board they use in upholstery...

7. Tudorp

Tudorp

Here is the "rough cut" panels with the 1/8" hardboard. They still need to be trimmed and edges sanded for perfect fit. But this stuff works great IMHO.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Muttley

Muttley

I'm surprised Ngo Long Dong hasn't commented on this thread yet, I'm pretty sure that's how they make the door panels at Truck Factory #5.

33sporttruck and Special Ed like this.
  9. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I suppose you know to cover the door with plastic, secured by caulking to waterproof your door panels? Water always runs down the window into the door, it will warp your door panels unless you protect them.

10. Tudorp

Tudorp

Certainly. I already have the plastic to cover the inside of the door before I put the new panels on. Of course there was none to protect the previous owners carboad, lol.

11. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Most upholstery supply shops now carry black plastic panel board...it's a bit more expensive than cardboard (of any type-foreign or domestic) but it certainly WILL NOT warp when it gets wet...and every door panel I've EVER seen, including factory cardboard stuff, has warped from water getting inside the door...

IF you plan on keeping the car for more than a few years, plastic is the only way to go...!!!

R-

12. modelamotorhead

modelamotorhead

At least he got the "up" arrows correctly oriented.

13. big M

big M

Can't say I've ever seen corrugated cardboard being used for backings on door panels. Talk about someone being a cheapskate!

14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I use 1/8" ABS sheet.