Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Look what followed me home from the scrap yard... Now what...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by summersshow, May 26, 2014.

1. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

Went to the scrap yard today to pick up a 63 Panel truck... They had already crushed it but this pulled in as I was leaving... So home it came... Well to my shop... But now... What to do with it...

Sell parts off of it?

Find a home for it?

Restore it.... Ummm, not familiar with how much parts are for a 59... But I can make all the metal it needs (except for the fenders)...

Or... What keeps running through my head... Cutting the back half off and turning the rear into a hot rod trailer?... Hmm... Then finding someone that can use the good parts... Thoughts?
    Photo683.jpg Photo683.jpg Photo684.jpg Photo682.jpg Photo680.jpg Photo679.jpg Photo678.jpg Photo677.jpg

2. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

3. slickhale

slickhale
    from Phoenix

You can donate it to me

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

While I hate to see any old car not put back on the road, that one has been picked pretty clean of all the expensive parts. Probably it was a parts car for someone's main project. It would be very expensive to find all the parts needed to make it whole again, so probably in this case it would be best to salvage whatever parts you can and scrap the rest. Lots of good body panels on there from the picture, so those would be useful to someone.

Don

5. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

What a shame to see. Would love

6. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

a 59 chebby, but like was said, too much missing on that one. Saw your post on the panel the other day, but the trip is too far no matter what

Devin

7. warlikeraindrop

warlikeraindrop
    from Utah

I would find semi complete four door combine the two

8. That's the way I'd go.

9. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

List that thing on Lay It Low. '59 lowrider rag top guys are nuts and have deep pockets. They're cutting up 4drs and BOP rag tops to build '59 verts. That one is already a 2dr, someone will scoop it up! Save the trailer making for a 4dr.:)

10. The37Kid

The37Kid

Now is the time to sell it, you will never make more money/profit on your investment. As soon as you spend time on it you start to loose money. Bob

11. hammeredcoupe

hammeredcoupe
    from Tacoma,WA

I'd hang on to it for awhile to see if you could score a 4 door donor. I agree there's a lot of spendy parts missing.

12. You're on the wrong side of the country but I've got a really nice trunk and hood sitting in my storage building along with an El Camino door with all the window mechanism.

13. oghathornvx

oghathornvx

That one is already a 2dr, someone will scoop it up![​IMG]

14. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

The Hood is in the floor board, Very usable, just a small dent... The trunk lid looks perfect... Its in the trunk... the window mechinisims are in the doors It was a parts car for a 59 2 door...
    Where is that site that messes with 59s? I would love to see someone fix it up... And I dont think I can bring myself to chop it in half... Even though it would be cool... Cut the roof off, cut the frame where it comes together and weld a trailer hitch to it, , make framing and slope the front down, make a storage compartment in the front (a keg soda or beer), along with the trunk to put all your stuff in (or live in) salvage the doors and hood to someone needing them... and some one may need whats left of the roof.

15. Tim Keith

Tim Keith

My father once had a '59 2 door like that, same color. It had a 235

16. RacerRick

RacerRick

I would build it .... but I am a masochist that way....

17. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

RacerRick... I would love to build it... lol... But I think it would be cheaper to find a different one...

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I keep thinking that it would make a decent and different drag car for HAMB drags. Slicked out and painted a solid color, No frills interior with vinyl on backer board for the door and back seat panels with a pair of buckets and no back seat. A little small block and camel humps and lots of compression and a row your own gearbox behind it.

19. Being a NC car it should be relatively solid. Sell it up north, a guy up here would build it and love to have it compared to the crap that's left around here. My buddy has some '59s out in the field that if you tried to move them they'd come out in chunks.

20. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

Lay it Low. It's a lowrider site. They love x frame Chevys.

[/QUOTE]Where is that site that messes with 59s? I would love to see someone fix it up... And I dont think I can bring myself to chop it in half... Even though it would be cool... Cut the roof off, cut the frame where it comes together and weld a trailer hitch to it, , make framing and slope the front down, make a storage compartment in the front (a keg soda or beer), along with the trunk to put all your stuff in (or live in) salvage the doors and hood to someone needing them... and some one may need whats left of the roof.[/QUOTE]

21. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Compared to most 59's originally from Northern ILL. this one looks pretty good. The solid 59 Chevys in this area usually have been brought up from the south or out west. Just google Lambrecht Auction and you'll see what most cars from the "Rust Belt" look like.

This one looks like a builder to me.

22. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

with a car like that there should not be much left over to scrap. I parted a 60 El Camino, the only things I scrapped were rusted, dented body parts (I even cut bits from those to sell) and broken glass. every other part sold on ebay and craigslist. I got about $3500.00 out of it, but you have to be dedicated to sell every stinking part off the car that is not ruined.

everytime I hear someone say "part it out and scrap the rest" I cringe. I bet I did not have 200 lbs to give the scrap guys.

23. indyjps

indyjps

It would make a perfect start for a custom, find a set of fenders and whatever you don't have, fab it, or swap on parts from other cars.

24. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Cut the fins off, tip them the wrong way, and graft them onto a nice fat fender car.
    HehHehHeh...

25. Keep it stripped, basic roll bar inside and a built 409/4 - speed set up. Would make a neat racer.

26. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

So ive been looking at the car... And heres my thoughts.... Im gonna make floor pans and trunks along with new fire wall all stainless... Air bags all 4 corners, shaved, all trim shaved except for rear fin trim... Black car... Now the part im wondering about... drive train... Think it would be wierd to have an olds 425 with a muncie m22 4 speed?... I Have a friend with a 427 i could get... but I already have the 425...

27. 425 Olds is odd, but odd is good, better than the same old same old SBC in there.

Ulu likes this.
  28. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

the fun part about the 425 is I have a fly wheel for it.... Theres very few of them around....

29. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Is that because they blow up when you shave them? Or just never sold many 425's with a clutch?