Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest An Update On Server Performance

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, May 26, 2014.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Hey guys, we now have two solid weeks of server tuning under our belts and things have gotten a lot more consistent as far as page loading performance. However, I'm still seeing some poor performance under peak times - when lots of folks are on the forum.

A lot of this is due to the huge amount of traffic we have hosted in the past two weeks. In fact, we've seen on average about 8-times the traffic we normally see. I'm not insane enough to think that this is due to everyone loving the new format... I think it's probably more due to the novelty of it and due to people eager to figure out how to use all this shiny new stuff.

Whatever be the case, I thought we could get past much of this traffic within the first two weeks. We haven't... and like I said, I'm seeing some times when performance isn't as good as it should be.

So, now what?

On Wednesday or Thursday of this week we will be adding two new servers to the farm, increasing RAM across the board, and tweaking our load balancers. As a result, we will be down again. If everything goes perfectly we could be down as little as half an hour... but, I know my dumb ass will mess something up, so expect us to be down for an hour or two.

Anyway, just an update. Thanks go out to everyone for being patient with us... And btw, be sure to check out the new tutorial section along with a list of our latest bug fixes, improvements, and features.

bchrismer likes this.
  2. ryno

ryno

Thanks for all the work to continually trying to make this place better
    On a side note, I have noticed that the forum is supper slow now on the I pad , not sure if that has any damn thing to do with the updates you speak of, but i thought I'd throw it out there.

3. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

It's fast on my newish iPad mini... What iPad are you using and what OS?

4. ryno

ryno

I pad 2. iOS 7 I believe. I have an update,mill try to do that and see what's up after.

5. not that one guy

not that one guy
    from So NV

I'm experiencing same issue on iPad 2, slow to load on Safari

I can view HAMB using Chrome app on iPad 2

Last edited: May 26, 2014
  6. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Yeah, let me know... Obviously, it's important that it works well on an iPad and iPhone. I have yet to get to really ironing out the mobile look of the site... But plan to get crazy with it.

7. ryno

ryno

I am going to update now. Should note, I'm using safari not the app.

8. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Right. We are on the same page.

9. ryno

ryno

Update complete. Seems to be better. I'll mess with it more tonight, need to get back out to the shop.

10. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

When will the Old Farts page be up? I suspect that there are a lot of OF's that never go on the main board and that may account for the increased traffic.

11. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Unless there are about 3 million old farts, that's not the case... BUT, that social group has been up since last thursday. Check it out: How To View Social Forums

13. Ryan, just FYI... I've haven't been on here much this weekend, but prior to this weekend my ipad air has really been slow browsing with safari. After you scroll down it was like a blank white screen for one to two seconds before the page would reload.

That being said there is no lag tonight... Scroll down and it's all instantly there, so I'm sure you're working on it. Just thought I'd let you know in case it helps!

Thanks for all your work!

14. @Ryan. I'm experiencing loss of search function on my iPad , honestly I don't go often to the PC. Often if I type a simple search word like "Ford" I receive a "no results found" there seems to be other things with the app that have changed and if this mail works, I'll start a list to you.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

15. belair

belair

My ipad is slow as well. and I have to sign in every time if I want to post something, even if I check the stay signed in box. I don't use the app. Will that make a difference?

16. ems customer service

ems customer service

5/26/14 the search function was working very good till friday 5-23-14 all weekend can not search.

using macbook 10.6.8 & safari 5.1.10

17. knotheads

knotheads

My ipad 2 is also loading slow when I log in to the H.A.M.B. My safari update is current .

18. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Server upgrades tonight gentlemen... Expect things to be slow and shitty, off and on...

19. Thanks for that reminder, Ryan.:)

20. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Any improvement is worth the wait, Ryan. I like it because it's easier for me to read. Faster is better too.

21. Larry T

Larry T

As far as the traffic goes, I used to sign on and if I left for a few minutes I'd have to sign on again. Now I can sign on and stay signed on as long as I want. Sometimes I don't sign out. Maybe 2,999,999 other folks are doing the same thing.

22. Muttley

Muttley

Am I the only person who doesnt see the value (not just of the HAMB but the whole internet) on a cellphone or ipad type device? How busy are you that you cant wait to check the internet until you get home? I also dont get why everyone thinks they "must have" a cellphone, I want less ways for people to annoy me, not more. BTW, I am not some "old fart" either that you could possibly dismiss my opinion due to age, I turned 41 last week.

23. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

More and more, people don't have computers as they don't need them. Instead, they have iPads and other mobile devices...

24. Muttley

Muttley

OK, that is a valid point. The people I dont get are the ones that walk around with their head up their ass banging away on their phones sending text messages.

25. Hope it gets better on my iPad.....now I'm in the habit of having that hanging around versus the laptop. Very slow to load, freezes up, can hit profile without lock up.....gonna be honest...never had an issue with the old one....long live the "traditional" HAMB haha...I'm sure you'll get it working right and I might take the tine to figure out what all the new stuff does

26. not that one guy

not that one guy
    from So NV

For those having problems with the HAMB on iPad safari

Try using the Chrome browser for iPad from the App Store.
    Works a lot better than safari at this time.(for HAMB)

27. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I'm using Safari on my iPad mini and iPhone without any issues.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

28. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:rolleyes: Hey Guys and Gals.You know how it is with a new build.Tinker and fine tune for a while.You can`t just run 12`s,10`s,or 8`s right out of the garage.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo