Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Need pics of COOL '32 tail pipes

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by ziffer, May 22, 2014.

1. ziffer

ziffer
    from michigan

I am running the exhaust over the rear end and debating if I should go out the back 10 inches to each side of center or go over to the frame. The tails have been bobbed off the frame and the gas tank is in the trunk.

Thanks
    Z

2. Scott F.

Scott F.

just commented on fb about this, do you have a rear shot of the car?

3. I think it depends on what style car you have, a full fendered car looks good with the exhaust out at the frame while a hi-boy looks good tucked closer together in the center or megaphones angled out slightly, IMO. but contrary to that I've got megs on my fenderd roadster, kinda hard to see in the pic.

Attached Files:

4. alchemy

alchemy

Was there any megaphones before 1983? I don't mean '36 driveshafts, I mean baloney-cut, tapered, 4" cones at the back end of the car.

I think the most traditional exhaust out the back side of a '32 is straight below the frame rails. In the center of the car is a modern thing.

5. This is how they were ran on my old roadsterbut to be honest there is nothing cool about them. HRP

1932Roadster007.jpg

Last edited: May 22, 2014
  6. Fordboy

Fordboy

7. The first one is my coupe that I am doing now. The other two photos are of my roadster that I did a while back. I always go over the rear. It just looks more finished IMO.

Attached Files:

8. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I dont have the bumper on in this photo but my tailpipes extend about a half inch pass the bumper.

Attached Files:

9. My first car (nearly 50 years ago :eek:) had these 4' scavenger pipes on it which I've kept all these years. When I was ready for exhaust on the '32 I utilized the last 8" of them -'cos I liked the '60s style they represented..

[​IMG]

p.s. Tried to line them up under the tail lamps and in line with the tank reveal.

A better angle?

[​IMG]

Dave

Last edited: May 24, 2014
    gwhite likes this.
  10. Deuce coupe rear quarter(resized).jpg
    Here is how they were routed on my coupe. Cool? Eh, it is what it is.

BTW.....Dave, I love your coupe. That looks like a real hot rod!

rodncustomdreams likes this.
  11. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Yes, there were megaphones, Ermie ("Mr. '32", AMBR winner mfd them in 1978; they were 'cones', in 3 different sizes...24", 30", 36". Cut to fit for dia. and length.)

Recalling the 'fifties: 48" 'scavengers' were straight chrome tubes in 1.75", 2", 2.50", 3" diameter...came out in '58 (San Jose, CA) Babe's muffler service called them "cheaters", as they could be hung under the rear axle, instead of a 'costly' pair of tailpipes.
    I hung 'em under my mad-raked '46 Tudor, the receipt said, "2 48" wieners"!
    Mine were 2.5" dia., hung 16" apart, came almost to the rear bumper...made the flattie sound like an Olds... Real cool!
    They went out of fashion in '63...(regionally)

I agree with the Deuce exhaust straight below & parallel with frame rails; BUT, prefer the 'finished' look of a 2" chrome tip, traditional end: inverse bell. (proven to keep exhaust from staining paint and chrome around the exhaust tip!)
    HATE seeing just the cut off ends of exhaust tubing. (Popular feeble excuse: 'muffler moly')

Last edited: May 24, 2014
    gwhite likes this.
  12. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

13. Tail pipes, we don't need no stinkin' tail pipes. My exhaust exits through the frame directly in front of the rear tires.

If you look close you can see it in the pick below.

IMG_2966.jpeg

14. :D Thanks 56don! But, you can never go wrong with a hot rod red 5 winder can you!!!

Dave

15. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

16. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Daddy o that is bad ass. Love the frame cut out.

hotrd32 likes this.