Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects a basket case worth saving

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by drumyn29, Jan 19, 2012.

1. In ww1 they would carry quadra limb amputees in baskets because they would fall off a stretcher. That's where the term basket case comes from. A very appropriate term for that car when you started it. Just beautiful work man. It looks amazing.

2. I really don't understand why nobody puts a manual shift in these cars. Sure they used to use autos but it would be so much fun with a 4 speed.

3. carpok

carpok
    from Indy

Just found this build, first few pages were hard to look at such a disappointment to see the rusted bones dig from a river bank.
    But the transformation was amazing and uplifting and so much more to come. Great work what a vision I'm sure a lot of sleepless nights. Can't wait for the first run down the track. Ron

4. drumyn29

drumyn29

I would love to use a 4 speed but with the horsepower that I'll be making it may not be a good idea, if someone has any input on this please feel free to respond.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  5. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

What's this post on Instagram about??? Lol it's by a Todd Evans? ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1400960514.587989.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  6. redzula

redzula

??????

7. drumyn29

drumyn29

What a douchebag!

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  8. jhutch713

jhutch713

This gives a whole new meaning to polishing a turd... what a great build, love it. Great work bro. Definitly worth saving...they all are.

9. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

I thought that was quite strange....anyhow , the car is looking great!

10. drumyn29

drumyn29

Thanks man!

11. hallrods

hallrods

Great work what a save.

12. Wow, really impressive!

13. drumyn29

drumyn29

IMG_1792.JPG IMG_1796.JPG IMG_1791.JPG IMG_1795.JPG IMG_1799.JPG IMG_1790.JPG IMG_1794.JPG IMG_1798.JPG IMG_1793.JPG IMG_1797.JPG Well, I finally finished ALL of the metal work today on the body and it's time for paint and bondo!!

I guess while it's being painted I'll tear into the Hemi and get it running, now I just have to find an affordable paint guy. I'm thinking Maaco, One day body and paint or Earl Schieb.

Last edited: May 8, 2017
  14. drumyn29

drumyn29

I guess I should take the 1940 Willys to get a light sandblast before paint, I hate choosing colors!!

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  15. That thing would look great as is.........rolling up to the line with fresh NHRA tech inspection completed.......dark tinted windows....fire belching out of some zoomies....and a zombie ghost skeleton with the old respirator gasser helmet setup grinning out. Lol I love that car. That is so badass. Should have been in the movie Christine maybe........that is wicked cool.

16. 37willysgasser

37willysgasser

Jeff that Willys is Tuff!

17. drumyn29

drumyn29

I should pinstripe on the side quarter panel: zombie ghost skeleton with the old respirator gasser helmet setup grinning out.

18. drumyn29

drumyn29

It looks similar to yours.

19. gonzo

gonzo

wow, this thread is inspirational!

20. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

At first you were doing something really inspirational.......I can look at any twisted crumpled rotted old peice of antique car sheet metal and see what it once was and what it could be again....but now i'm kinda lost.....you could have had your metal guy (your metal guy is awesome) build a new shell and let someone else build a cool Willys 4 dr. sedan..... but far be it from me to tell anybody what to do. I admire your determination!

21. drumyn29

drumyn29

The sedans that I got for parts were as rusty as it gets, unlikely anyone would have made anything out of them. One was at a scrap yard waiting to be crushed. And yes Lee Kay is AWESOME!!

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  22. Lol..............that car just looks pissed off. Wants to kick your ass.............it wants to kick everyone's ass !!!! The most sinister evil looking mother fucker on this HAMB I think. There ya' go...put it out there. Anyone got anything more gnarly demonic then this ??

23. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

So in reality you have "saved" those sedans and recycled them into coupes and works of metal art. Not only that but I just realized if you combine that rear clip and that race car shell we have a basketcase worth saving part II lol! What do you do about regi?

24. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

Yes awesome is actually an understatement when it comes to metal fab skills like that. Have you ever seen "Hot Rod" ? a.k.a "Rebel of the road" 1979 starring Gregg Henry and Robert Culp. I too would love that Frankenstein "stitched" look but after seeing your shiny trunk lid turn brown I guess leaving it to rust would be a shame so I suggest checking out Hot Rod on youtube not only for the '70's drag racing entertainment but also that grey primer Willys is way cool

25. drumyn29

drumyn29

Stay tuned because I have a feeling Basketcase part II may be just around the corner :)

26. drumyn29

drumyn29

IMG_2644.JPG IMG_5110.JPG IMG_5083.JPG IMG_5109.JPG This little guy wants to be a 33 coupe REAL bad!!!
    I may call him "Stitch".

Last edited: May 8, 2017
    VANDENPLAS likes this.
  27. Woot Woot! Maybe pick up a Wagner power painter at Lowes and shoot some Sherwin Williams stain, semi transparent ofcourse......

28. drumyn29

drumyn29

Registration isn't a big deal, I don't have a stock vin tag so I'll just buy an aftermarket and stamp my own number on it and title it in my "one horse" small hometown. They actually answer the phone at the DMV.

29. aussie57wag

aussie57wag
    from australia

That is talent. I hate those guys that say you have to start with the best car you can find and junk cars like this. I admire people that start with cars like this and finish them. Well done.