Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone else having problems with Patricks Antique Truck Parts?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ckemp03, Nov 19, 2011.

1. So I ordered a Wayne valve cover and side plate kit along with a Fenton dual carb intake for a Chevy 235 from Patricks in August. I continued to work on other things waiting for my parts. Well, I ran out of things to do and still no parts so I call them. Turns out they never had the parts on hand and they were having problems from the foundry. I dont have a problem with this as I know how these things go. The problem I have is that they never mentioned the parts were back ordered or said this was a pre-order type of situation (which I woundnt have bought). They did however accept my payment that very day with no intention of shipping, which is against the law I believe. I have now been trying to contact them for over a month for a refund and all I get is the run around, if I can get ahold of anyone. My refund has been on the "top of the pile" for some time now. They are not registered with the Better Buisness Bureau so I cant complain there and paid with debit card so I cannot dispute the charge there either( so much for paying for cash these days). I just wanted to know if anyone else is having problems with Patricks and if so how they resolved it.

Thanks

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  2. T McG

T McG
    from Phoenix

Surprising, they are usually a great company to deal with. And I don't want this to sound like a lecture but you should always ask if the parts are in stock and when they will ship.

I deal with the aftermarket everyday, and it's just one of those things I automatically ask.

Patricks is a small company and I'm sure is feeling the pinch of slow times and probably can't afford to keep a lot if inventory, but they should have been up front about not having it in stock.

duncan and '51 Norm like this.
  3. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Put 'em on The Rotten Bastards List.

Golffanman, Spooky and gas pumper like this.
  4. I agree with you on your point, I always ask now! the real issue is the run around on the refund. I just want my money back to move on with the project and cant get it. That is not right in my book.

Marcia likes this.

5. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

Sorry to hear that, I've always had great help and service from Patrick and Phillip. I suspect they figured your part would be delivered to them in the usual time frame but it got delayed. I've learned the hard way with all vendors to ask if the part is in stock before forking over the $$, but I agree they should tell you if it's not on the shelf.

6. 432bullet

432bullet

ALWAYS pay with a credit card, Then you just call up visa and tell them you did not get the good or services you paid for. They will then refund your money and go after the scum bags. Debit card you are screwed, no recourse.

7. 6inarow

6inarow

Wow, that is strange. I have bought parts from them for over 20 years. They have always answered the phone during regular business hours. I find it hard to believe you cant get ahold of them. you have the correct number, right??

I waited on an intake for a few weeks this fall but they told me they were at the foundry and I never gave it a second thought. About 6 weeks later everything arrived just like normal.

Patrick Dykes is a great guy and would never cheat anyone - he definately isnt a "Rotten Bastard" - do a search and you will find that out. Some guys like to run their mouth on this board without knowing the man they hammer

Outcasts likes this.
  8. Fat Fender Mike

Fat Fender Mike
    from Milwaukee

Patrick is a great guy to deal with. Only had 1 issue with parts bought. Patrick bent over backwards to make it right. The parts were custom made, it did take awhile to get them. Patrick always came to the phone, was curtious and assured me the parts would come. They did and worked perfectly.

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The best advice I have seen for anyone buying online, over the phone or ordering parts over the counter at a local shop.

A lot of the small guys don't make the part or order it from their supplier until they get an order or possibly for cast parts they don't place the order until they have enough for a run at the foundry.

Years ago I had a friend who owned the local speedshop in Waco order me a hairpin steering arm and drag link from MAS Racing and the parts didn't show up after a period of several weeks. He called MAS and was told "the guy who makes them is on vacation and will be back next week. Sure enough just like the guy on the phone said, the parts showed up a few days after the guy got back off vacation and made them.

I used to work for a farm equipment dealer as a parts man and had one customer who was a hay and row crop farmer. He had the parts and repair manuals for every piece of equipment he had and would call me from the field and tell me to open the parts book to page __ and look at part #__ . Then tell me go get the part and slap it on the counter so I can hear it over the phone. If I didn't have the part he called other dealers in the area until he found the part and just drove further to get it. His method might work well for those of us who are ordering parts.

10. lucky53

lucky53

I have done business with Patrick's for a few years now and NEVER had a problem with them.

They have answered the phone every time I have ever called.

Patrick's is a 1st class operation!

Patrick Dykes and ALL who work for Patrick's Antique Auto are very knowledgeable & helpful.

This sounds like some sort of miscommunication...

I hope this gets worked out.

Please keep updated.

11. RFAGrasshopper

RFAGrasshopper

Patrick was one of my customers when I was the commercial manager for Checker Auto parts. I remember one of his guys telling me how the foundry(they used back then'90's) sent them a bad batch of Fenton headers and they were out there with hammers breaking them up so now one could get there hands on a bad one. He is always looking to make sure he gets his customers the BEST Part.

12. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Man, your NEVER going to hear anything bad about Patrick from me either! Customer service has always been increadible, and once the man sent me a small used part to bail me out on a customer's job, and wouldn't even accept payment... That doesn't happen in todays world very often.

13. I have been dealing with Patricks for years. Never a problem.

14. toughnut

toughnut
    from Arizona

Hey, I just learned that a credit card is safer than my debit card. Thanks!
    I've always had someone answer the phone at Patricks. Sometimes I have a problem getting them to stop talking and hang up. Too helpful at times.

15. LeftCoastErik

LeftCoastErik

I have had great experiences with Patrick and Phillip also. Although my AC setup order for my 235 took over 4 months to complete, I did eventually get it after it was all made and it looks great (at least in the box...) Their service and parts have all been top notch so far.

16. raidmagic

raidmagic

I don't know who you guys bank with but my bank backs up all purchases and allows disputes for purchases made with my debit card. I've recieved a full refund for a front end alignment before too so it doeswork. A little more work up front as the company gets the chance to answer to your protest but worth it if you feel like you are being ripped off.

turboroadster likes this.
  17. brad chevy

brad chevy

You said you paid with debit card,surely they e-mailed or sent you a reciept of some kind to take to the bank to get the claim process started. Maybe one of the Hambers that think these guys are saints will step up and help you out instead of just glorifing the company.Good luck. Almost 4 months and no parts is not good business practice even if he is a nice guy.

18. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

If you want the part, call and ask him how much longer you will have to wait. If you want your money back, because you are tired of waiting, ask for a refund. You have a recourse. If you get the run around, inform the gentleman that your next call is to his State Attorney General's Office. Try to be as nice as possible on the phone though. You get more with honey than vinegar. Shit happens, good luck.

19. donsz

donsz

My dealings with Patrick's have been the best. He personally helped me with install questions on the ring and pinion sets I bought from him. On other forums he has a sterling reputation. I'm sure if you talk to him you will get satisfaction.

20. A Rodder

A Rodder

I don't know who he is. But I own a business and if what is said is true, he is doing poor business to one of our HAMBERS. I believe if you used your debit card like a credit card you may have the same protection or actually using a credit card. Obviously if was made over the phone, your card had to be punched in manually and the machines wont let you manually punch in the numbers they try to enter it as a debit.
    I may be wrong.
    Have you actually called your bank?

21. CayoRV

CayoRV

I just called last week (Wednesday) and ordered a Fenton intake and a water pump kit for a 235. They told me right up front the intake was on bo but would be in before the end of the year for sure. The water pump kit was in stock and would go out right away. In the 2 phone calls I made both Patrick and Phillip answered right away and were very helpful. This is my first time dealing with them but I didn't get a bad feeling about it when I spoke with either of them. We'll just have to wait and see.

22. jimijames

jimijames

I have had nothing but good experiences with Patrick's. They have been a wealth of knowledge in regards to the intricacies of the old Chevy inline sixes. If fact, I just ordered the Wayne dress up kit yesterday and Patrick told me immediately it would be a month out. I was not concerned as I have the original covers that will serve until the shiny stuff arrives. There is no better source for Chevy 235/261 parts. Jimi

23. Douglas B.

Douglas B.

Patrick's has always treated me right. ALTHOUGH, the last time ( a few weeks ago ) I called them someone anwsered the phone and was extremely rude and pushy. I have never had that in the past, but with being said, the person did make sure I received the correct part I was looking for.

24. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

this thread is from 2011. the date is right there before you even click on it now with the new format

25. mpschunks

mpschunks

Problems. Are you serious? I lived an hour from Patrick's and went there often. Never a problem. That was 8 years ago. Now, they just take your money and you are promised parts. Still waiting a year and a half! I ordered a part that was "in stock". That was in August of 2014. They seemed to have no problem processing the order and taking my money but here I wait. Every call I am promised "10 days". Still nothing. I won't even mention the "Howard Jimmy Intakes" that will NEVER be cast. I've been on the list for 4 years. Last penny they will see from me. There is a wealth of information (and parts) elsewhere.

gas pumper likes this.
  26. fenderking

fenderking

Many favorable comments about the folks at Patricks. I have had many a conversation with them and they have always been very courteous. But lets put the skunk on the table.

Patricks offer some unique products. Depending on your project you may feel it necessary to obtain one of those products from them. However, it is that same uniqueness that can cause a problem in obtaining those products. For instance, they offer both open and closed(torque tube)drive line 4 speed shift conversions. There are parts involved that must be manufactured elsewhere and in order for those manufacturers to get set up they need minimum orders or minimum down payment. Patricks can either come up with or borrow the money to complete that order. For them, there is a risk in that they could end up sitting on the unique stock for a long time,or, if there are not enough buyers, forever. Or, they could tell people who call about that product that it will be available in 2 weeks, take their money via credit/debit and hope, with good intentions, they have enough orders to meet the minimum criteria to get the manufacturer to make the product within a reasonable time.

Unfortunately, that two weeks can, and has, turned into another 6 weeks. And another 6 weeks. And another 6 weeks,. etc., as some of us are painfully aware. This becomes even more difficult when those months turn into years. Really? Years? Why not move on? Sure, you can change the direction of your project. For example, with the aforementioned products, go to a 5 speed. Keep the old 3 speed. If you look hard enough you may find someone else who can help. No problem. Unfortunately Patricks will not give you your money back even if you cancel the order, which I can state is the case for me. Also, after 120 days your credit card company cannot help you so you find yourself in the same situation, contact them early. It seems as those Patricks needs my money to make payment on that minimum order criteria so they hold it hostage until they do. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

No doubt the product will be outstanding if it is ever received. No doubt that folks at Patricks are nice people and they offer a unique product to those of us looking for options when restoring our vehicles. Don't expect them to tell you that they just have no way of knowing how long it will take and that in some cases people have waited a year or more. And if you ask, just remember what I wrote above as they reply. Good luck.

27. 5window

5window

Now, friends, if you send these folks money, who do you have to blame? They do not manufacture hot rod parts, they steal money plain and simple. Might was well send it to Eelco or some of the Nigerian princes who come calling. Just close this thing down.

28. Marcia

Marcia

Patrick charged my credit card when he said he wouldn't. He never sent my parts and won't give me a refund.

Golffanman, ace5043 and gas pumper like this.
  29. @ckemp03 How did you get on? It's been five years since you started this thread, be interesting to find out if you received your parts, or cash back.
    Sad to read a business of such great standing has gone downhill.

30. gas pumper

gas pumper

Yes it is sad that a great customer service guy like Patrick was has turned into a a ripoff.
    I bought from him in the 90's and everything was well. I tryed again this year and had the same bad experience as the last few posters. Continual stalling and "another week" or "another 6 weeks" until you finally callup the credit card company and they tell you it's too late to dispute.

The last time I called Patrick, his wife told me the credit card machine was broke, if it worked she would send me a refund!!! All Bull Shit...... It's a shame

And beware of his cam guy, Delta Cams, we went direct to them to have a cam reground and bill it to Patrick(to offset some of the money he owed). The result was they painted the stock cam black and sent it back. After we put it in we checked the duration and lift and it was the same cam, no grinding. Delta don't answer emails or phone calls. More BS.

Golffanman likes this.