Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 39 and 40 Ford Coupe differences - please help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by loafing1, May 18, 2014.

1. loafing1

loafing1
    from Nebraska

Hey guys,

Outside if the trim differences between a 1939 DeLuxe and 1940 Standard and DeLuxe Ford Coupes are there any mechanical or structeral differences? My understanding is that the frames are the same ('39 Standard are different I understand) but I was having a discussion with my dad and he believes '39s (all of them) have significant differences from the 1940. I know there's a couple engine options (60 vs 85 HP V8s) but outside of that and trim differences, I thought 39 DeLuxe and 40 were the same and the bigger differences were in the 39 Standard Coupes.
    Thanks.

travj31 likes this.

2. Other than the crank out windshield, the wipers mounted above the windshield, and the difference in the door glass (vent window verses no vent window) I believe the rest is basically the same.

PONTNAK123 likes this.
  3. 39 Ford

39 Ford

4. 4dFord/SC

4dFord/SC

'39's had floor shift and '40's went to the column shift. Also, '40's were first to have sealed beam headlights. All the frames are basically the same, although the '39 Standard front cross-member is different to accommodate the taller radiator.

Last edited: May 18, 2014

5. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

Dash is different. Of course, taillights differ. '40 has column shifter vs '39 floor shifter. Clutch linkage as well as pedals was different. Headlights on '40 were first year for sealed-beams. Extremely small difference in front fender curve between grill and headlight. Steering wheels differ, as well as columns. Wheel bolt patterns differed between the two, as well as brake drums. Others will point-out more differences. DD

PONTNAK123 likes this.
  6. mike in tucson

mike in tucson
    from Tucson

DIFFERENCES
    Hood nose shape
    Hood trim
    Hood latch
    WS wiper location
    WS hinged on 39
    WS center trim
    No vent window on 39
    Side trim
    Trunk emblem
    License light
    Trunk handle
    Bumpers
    Bumper guards
    Seat on 39 folds from top
    Column vs floor shift
    Dash
    Dash instruments
    Area behind seat
    Window crank mechanisms
    Wheels and trim
    Brake drums
    Tail lamps
    Running boards
    Grille
    Headlights
    Whew!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

stillrunners and PONTNAK123 like this.
  7. fleet-master

fleet-master

theres differences in the hood latch and braces too from memory. The entire main inner frame section of the doors is different, not a lot but enough to be a pain in the keester. This is because the 40s have quarter light windows ,39s don't. On a 39 the door handles are attached via the escutcheon on the outside, a 40 has one screw through from the door frame.

8. lessleyxip

lessleyxip

Extremely small difference in front fender curve between grill and headlight.[​IMG]

PONTNAK123 likes this.
  9. alchemy

alchemy

How are the running boards different? (unless you are talking about '39 standard)

The coupe decklids are different on the inner structure, but they will interchange. Firewalls are different too, but I can't remember the particulars.

PONTNAK123 likes this.
  10. 4dFord/SC

4dFord/SC

'39 Standard firewall has a recess for the battery.

PONTNAK123 likes this.
  11. alchemy

alchemy

The '39 deluxe firewall is different also, though. Is it missing the center heater bulge? And obviously the ribs that are tweeked for the wiper mount on a '40 would not be tweeked on a '39. Anything else?

PONTNAK123 likes this.
  12. DrJ

DrJ

'39 Standard was a whole different body. It was more like a '38 than the '39 Deluxe.

13. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

most differences mentioned here- there is also a few differences in early VS late 40's
    -ashtrays pop up on early ones-later tilt out--do not interchange
    -early ones can have wiper mt welded to firewall without the adjustment bolts
    -body supports in trunk area are different-early 40 braces like 39 dLX
    -some early 40 cpes have the same inner trunk structure as a 39-doing one like that now-3rd one I've seen over the years-has pop up ashtrays as well

stillrunners and lothiandon1940 like this.
  14. Fiend42

Fiend42

Dr. J is wrong. The 1938 DeLuxe had a similiar front end like my 1939 Standard, but the rest of the body from the cowl back was completely different. Nothing matches. The 1939 Standard main body from cowl back is the same as 1940 DeLuxe and Standard. The tailights and trunk handle are different and the door glass has no vent window. The dash differs and 39 had a floor shift. The 39 has a crank out front window and wipers above. 1940 was column shift, wipers on the cowl and no crank out glass. Not much if anything at all is different.

15. Early 39 inner fender panels mounted with spot welded brackets, and no reinforcement, later changed to like 40.
    Thanks to Kube on the Fordbarn! I have one LS 39 if anybody needs it.
    upload_2022-2-10_18-52-27.png upload_2022-2-10_18-53-8.png

16. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm pretty sure the 40's came with SBC's and MII suspension standard. Don't quote me, they could have been optional.

17. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

^^^^^ Pretty standard now…..:rolleyes:

18. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I looked quite a while before I found a 40 that wasn't ruined with one of those shitty MII fron ends

19. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

^^^^^^^ Don’t sugarcoat it :rolleyes:;)

X38 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  20. johnold1938

johnold1938
    from indiana

straight axle the only way to go! them mustang suspension never worked when they were new!

Moriarity and olscrounger like this.
  21. A stock '40 beam axle and transverse spring will handle great if king pins and shackles are good and it's correctly aligned.

Moriarity and olscrounger like this.