Register now to get rid of these ads!

Diamond T Motor Co.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VonXulu, Dec 28, 2005.

1. VonXulu

VonXulu
    from Ventura Ca

Does anyone have any idea what trucks or cars from this company might be worth? And what motors were run in them? Found one today and am really curious. Any info would be appreciated.

2. Chrome Shop Mafia

Chrome Shop Mafia

Nice condition ones go for six-grand sometimes...

3. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

4. VonXulu

VonXulu
    from Ventura Ca

Thanks guys, very helpful. Looks like the truck I located is about a 46-48. Thanks again.

5. Its been here before but diamond T's don't get much play -
    a group of derelicts my dad knows built this "large scale" modified in Seattle

s.

6. jalopyshots

jalopyshots

I think i saw this thing on a tv show on the discovery channel a year or 2 ago. The guys who built it build some wicked funky vehicles.

7. Some of the smaller dump trucks look pretty neat, I have wondered before what one might look like if you put the cab and nose on a 32-34 Ford truck style chassis as an open-wheel rod with an early style bed added. Section if necessary, but the one I remember wouldn't have needed a chop.

8. ENGINENUT

ENGINENUT

Von, My truck manual of 36-46 shows the Diamond-T using Cummins Diesel or Hercules gas or Diesel.Hercules gas engines of that era were all flatheads with 6 cyl truck engines up to 935 cu in.
    Later on Diamond-T along with Reo was bought up by White motors which by the way later also owned Hercules.
    A Diamond-T Reo combination was called of course Diamond Reo.Surely you didn't think the singing group was creative enough to create that name.
    While we're at it we think of the Reo origin which was for the creator--Ransom E. Olds and of course we remember his first auto the Oldsmobile which he sold to The General.Lots of chrome on those old Diamond-T's.

9. Frank

Frank

10. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

Actually that cab was designed by Autocar, and the main reason White bought them. Originally used in 58 on the Autocae, and used on one model or another until the mid 90's

11. 47bob

47bob

I understand that Ford builds a truck under the Sterling name; which is another real old truck. Bob

12. ENGINENUT

ENGINENUT

Skid, Also another maker to use a purchased cab was Hendrickson who used International cabs.

13. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

That's gotta be a typo,935? or 395?LOL
    My old Super Power White Mustang had a 395" gasburner in it with a 2 speed rear and a 5 spd trans.

14. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

Freightliner bought out Ford's heavy truck division, and builds them as Sterlings in Canada. It's a Freightliner chassis with a Ford cab. Mack also used Ford cabs for a while in the late 50's. Ford's heavy trucks are now built by Navistar in Mexico, and have a Navistar chassis with a Ford cab.

Volvo bought into White in 78, bought them out in 83, and bought GMC in 85. The same trucks came with White, WhiteGMC, VolvoWhite, and Volvo nameplates at various times. Volvo bought Mack a couple years ago, and had to spin off Autocar to keep the Feds happy.

Freightliner owns FWD, Sterling, Western Star, Lafrance, and some of Detroit Diesel. They are in turn owned by DalmierChrysler.

15. VonXulu

VonXulu
    from Ventura Ca

Damn I love me some Hambers! This thread was gonna die the night I put it up, but luckily it stayed alive long enough for you guys to post, Thanks. I really don't need another project right now, it seems 1 1/2 ton trucks are popping up everywhere right now, within' the last week I have come across a 39 Ford, 50 something GMC and the Diamond T which looks to be about 46-48. They ain't going nowhere so I'll just sit on 'em. The Diamond T is low and looks chopped but it's not I think it's the neatest looking one.

16. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

a few more from carnut.com

Attached Files:

• dt1.jpg
      dt1.jpg
      File size:
      8.9 KB
      Views:
    • dt2.jpg
      dt2.jpg
      File size:
      48.9 KB
      Views:
    • dt3.jpg
      dt3.jpg
      File size:
      31.4 KB
      Views:
    • dt4.jpg
      dt4.jpg
      File size:
      30.2 KB
      Views:
  17. ENGINENUT

ENGINENUT

Yo Baby, that wernt no typo.But maybe a little misleading-the killer engines were in the big dogs and the biggest Hercules my book lists in the early 40's Diamond-T is a "little" 404 incher of 4 1/4 x 4 3/4 kicking out 312 ft lbs @ 1000 r's.That big Herc was a 5 3/4 x 6 delivering 695 ft lbs @ 900 and it showed up in the likes of FWD, Marmon-Herrington,Dart,Corbitt and Sterling biggest stuff.By the late 40's some OHV from Waukesha and Continental were giving the same output with less inches-but the king still remained the mighty Hall-Scott series 400--5 3/4 x 7--1090 cu in- 940 ft lbs @ 1300 RPM-275 HP @ 1800.The diesels of the day couldn't beat it and they were a lot harder to manage.Now why did them oil wells go dry???

18. And I thought I was the only one who wanted to cut up an AutoCar for a rod!;)

A little nip here, tuck there...

There's also, depending on the year, some other cool stuff on them, like headlights and clearance lights that would make bitchen rod parts too.

Jay

19. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

Those are without a doubt some huge motors then.LOL
    The old Mustang with it's flattie 395 in compound low woud pull a house down without question and without working at it.
    A funny story about that big old truck.
    I rolled back into Okc one night about 3ish and stopped behind a Buick Wildcat at the light at 23rd and Robinson.The light turns green car just sits through it,Hmmm,curious:confused: .Light turns green again,no movement:rolleyes: .Back up a bit look and the guy is passed out in the car.So I very gently creep up on the bumper and wait for the light to change:) ,light goes green I let out the clutch and hang on the horn and start goin' through gears.We're through the intersection about the time I get 'er up in compound 3rd the guy wakes up looks around realizes he's rollin' and there is this awful loud noise :eek: and locks up the brakes.I go ahead and burp the throttle and no clutch a piece of #4,by now tires are squealing and rubber is beginning to smoke,I'm laughing fit to be tied and decide it's time to let 'im off the hook,so I shove in the clutch and it takes the old Buick a bit to slow the momentum of the big truck,it's about now the guy realizes what time it is and stands on the gas and get's the hell out of Dodge.
    As for me, well I went on to 5th and popped 'er into the topside of the rear and headed on to the house trying to see through the tears of laughter:D .It still cracks me up when I think about it and get to wondering exactly what was goin' through that guy's mind at the moment he woke up.

Happy New Year,T.OUT

20. Ayers Garage

Ayers Garage

Last Marmon was built in 1996.

21. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Stockton Wheel was using a post war 201 shop truck a few years ago.

22. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Here is mine...........

Attached Files:

23. When my dad died, I inherited my dad's Diamond T project. It looked just like Bluto's and when I got to Oregon to claim it, it was a frame with cab and doors. The front sheetmetal was stored in the rafters of my dad's shop, safe and rust free. I had no way to get it back to my home in the midwest, so I let it go in the auction.

NOw that it's all over, the tandem camp trailer [water damage in the wood parts] that went for $25 in that auction could have been used to transport my diamond T cab and front sheetmetal home. I wasn't able to see it then and I even owned the title to the truck! DAMN! Hindsight is 20/20..
    Wish I'd have kept it.

24. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

There are still a lot of very nice Diamond T trucks out there looking for a good home and folks to save them in whatever form. Ratt'r to restored they are a class act